+ Reply to Thread
Page 134 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3484124125126127128129130131132133134135 LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1348
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I'm the opposite - my flowers are going gangbusters and my veggies are limping along. I did spot a zucchini, though, so I'm psyched.
    Count your blessings!

My grape tomatoes have been producing nice sweet clusters. Then, last week I found places where the tomatoes had been picked. I saw the thief. A squirrel. Possibly the same squirrel that has cost me over $3,000 in repairs for the damage to the exterior of my house and the attic. Have I mentioned that I have come to hate squirrels?
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Hey Fort gardeners!
    I need some advice. I've got tons of cucumbers and not sure what to do with them all. I'm not really set up for canning and you can only have so many salads. Any suggestions?
    Also, is there a type of cucumber that's best for salads? It seems the ones we got this year are growing really large seeds and don't have the best flavor. Also, some of them have turned yellowish white. What does this mean?

I've only gotten 2 zucchini so far. One was really big so I sliced it thick and roasted it in the oven with garlic olive oil, paprika, S&P and bread crumbs!

How is everyone else's garden doing?
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

You can do short-term (refrigerated) pickling, make cucumber dressing/dip, or give some away to friends and neighbors. I LOVE it when someone shares their excess produce with me.
    cablejockey and inthegarden like this.
    Count your blessings!

short-term (refrigerated) pickling
    Gutmutter - do you have a recipe for this that you have used? I've seen some on the 'net but am not sure how reliable they are.
    I haven't been as pleased with the look and taste of this year's cuke crop so I wouldn't want to give them away. A couple years ago, our neighbors gave us a boatload of banana and jalapeno peppers because they had so many. It was nice.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Sorry - my daughter does, but she's very difficult to get ahold of these days between her schedule and hit or miss internet service. I'll ask, but I can't guarantee an answer. You could try asking in the recipe thread.
    Count your blessings!

My garden has had more than it's share of troubles this year. First it was the squirrels. They have devoured many tomatoes. What they don't finish they leave, half eaten, on the deck rail. The blasted rodents have also taken a liking to my hibiscus! I caught one chowing down on a blossom a couple weeks ago. I was wondering why my plant, which had been gorgeous earlier in the year, suddenly had stopped blooming. I bought some squirrel deterrent spray but it sticks!! And the stink lingers for days. Since all my plants are in pots on my deck I had to give up using that. Now I'm sprinkling cayenne pepper on everything. So far, the pepper seems to be working. I have also scattered moth crystals on the deck rail. I read they hate that smell.

Then, today I noticed that finally the squirrels were leaving my tomatoes alone but horn worms have moved in! I found 2 and removed them.

And (last complaint) my morning glory refuses to bloom! I had one bloom in June. Since then, nothing. The vine is growing like a weed but not a flower anywhere. Anyone have an idea what I can do to get it to bloom? I wonder if the squirrels are eating the buds....

MiaT2 I plant cucumber varieties that are used for pickling. I'm not sure which variety you can find in your growing area so I can't recommend one. I've used Kirby and Cross Country varieties of pickling cucumbers. I like both of them for eating. The cucumbers have a good taste, rarely turn bitter, and the seeds stay small and tender. The cucumber can grow up to about 5"-6" if you let them but they are better if picked smaller. Burpee.com has a recipe for Easy Pickles. They sent it to me in a kids camp e-mail. I haven't tried it but it looks good to me.

Photobabe I'm sorry you are having trouble with your garden this year.
    I put bowls of water in and around my garden for the wildlife. That has helped to stop the pecking of my tomatoes when the weather turns hot and dry.
    Several things could be keeping your morning glory from blooming. If it's not a late bloomer, it could be too much nitrogen in the soil or in your fertilizer.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post

Photobabe I'm sorry you are having trouble with your garden this year.
    I put bowls of water in and around my garden for the wildlife. That has helped to stop the pecking of my tomatoes when the weather turns hot and dry.
    Several things could be keeping your morning glory from blooming. If it's not a late bloomer, it could be too much nitrogen in the soil or in your fertilizer.
    Thanks, inthegarden Heat or lack of water is not why the squirrels are eating my stuff. I know this because we have had a very mild and cool summer with
    the occasional rainy day or, more often, rainy night. And, I have a birdbath in the yard and keep a small container of water on the deck for Miss Kitty.

I stopped feeding the morning glory 2 weeks ago. Maybe that will help. I used a new brand of potting soil this year and am thinking next year I will go back to the Miracle Grow soil. Do you, or anyone else reading this, have a recommendation for a good potting soil?
    inthegarden likes this.

MiaT2 In the recipe thread, I bumped a recipe for cucumber sandwiches. You can use it for a sandwich or a dip.

Photobabe I like Miracle Gro's line of potting soils. I use the potting soil with time released fertilizer as a basic mix and then if needed, amend it with other materials.

I've used Sta-green and Jungle Growth.
    Photobabe likes this.

+ Reply to Thread