+ Reply to Thread
Page 132 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3282122123124125126127128129130131132133134135 LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1348
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Head on over to Home Depot, Punkin! That's where I got mine. It was only $11.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Could you send me a little of your sunshine from The Big Valley?

"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco." Attributed to Mark Twain
    That quote applies equally to Daly City and Pacifica. I tried tomatoes. I got a nice green plant. But no little red things on it! Happily, though, I've found I can get big, fat, meaty Heirlooms pretty much all year round at Trader Joe's, grown in Mexico!

We DO have an overabundance of sun over here, that's for sure. In a month, I'll likely be watering twice daily to keep everything alive. There have got to be varieties that do well in less sun. Maybe a local garden center could recommend some? I seem to remember Mariner talking about a variety that grew well in Seattle.

It took a few years, but I learned which varieties do well in containers. I don't plant any tomatoes that are bigger than a few inches, but I get lots of them!

The first year I did tomatoes, I mistakenly ended up with a Bull's Heart plant. I got maybe 3 or 4 tomatoes all summer. They were HUGE and none were as big as the first one. It took all of the energy of the plant to create just a few tomatoes. I vowed to stick with the little ones from then on.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

We water once a week (or, he does. I prune and weed), and maybe twice a week on the very odd weeks without fog and heavy morning dew. My roses, lilies, glads, begonias, dahlias and whatnot are pretty happy with the weather though, and come back every year for more. So I get pretty over practical. Good thing we aren't hungry. All the Colma nurseries that still survive around me, survive on flowers. Not veges.

And, Yes! to those big Basil plants at Trader Joe's! I hate paying for a big bunch of Basil at Safeway that will wilt before I can use much. The Basil plants from TJ's will last all summer in my window sill!

I'm reading a book called "Eating on the Wild Side" by Jo Robinson about the best kind of every kind of produce to provide the most phytonutrients. It says small tomatoes are a better bet than bigger ones. It is a fascinating read. It tells you specific names if you're growing your own or buying at a farmer's market.
    Count your blessings!

That is the most interesting and informative book. She has a interesting website too. Eat Wild

I normally buy my basil plant at Trader Joe's, but I happened to be at Home Depot today. What an embarrassingly sad garden department. They're running a promotion with veggies and herbs 3 for $10 and I couldn't find 3 plants that didn't look half dead. ALL of the basil was a mess; brown spots on the leaves, dead leaves, etc. My brother used to manage garden departments for Lowe's and HD. He would have been rolling over in his grave had he seen this. It's like someone just gave up. DEAD tomato plants just hanging down, draped over the pots. I bought some Pineapple Sage that looked pretty good, so I'm hoping it thrives.

Anyway, I ended up getting a lovely big basil plant at Smart and Final for $3. Not quite as big as the ones at TJ's, but I wouldn't have out of there are cheaply as I did at S&F.

In other news, my klutz of a mail carrier walked into a hanging geranium on my porch, knocked it down and cracked the pot (plastic). I doubt the USPS is paying for it Now I'm working on softening the concrete-like dirt in my front planter, so I can mix it with potting soil and plant the geranium in the ground.
    inthegarden likes this.

I read that flowers from Home Depot and Lowes are treated with something that kills bees and other insects, so if you're planting flowers to help pollinate/save the bees, don't get them from those places.
    Count your blessings!

My brother worked in management in both Lowe's and Home Depot and I never heard that. He would have said something if they'd done it when he worked for those companies. Maybe it's a recent development

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I read that flowers from Home Depot and Lowes are treated with something that kills bees and other insects, so if you're planting flowers to help pollinate/save the bees, don't get them from those places.
    When I read this, my first thought was "another stupid internet rumor" so I checked it out. Sadly, it's true. There is a chemical in many commonly used pesticides that causes harm to bees. Many garden centers use these chemicals. Here's a link to one of the many articles I found. Lowe
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

+ Reply to Thread