+ Reply to Thread
Page 131 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3181121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1348
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Somebody walk me through growing squash. I'm the only person on the planet who has tried and failed every time. I know there are hills involved.
    Count your blessings!

I do put them in hills, about 3-4 seeds per hill. Full sun, moderate fertilizer...what happens to your plants, Gut? Do they ever bear any fruit before dying?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

My tomatoes are blooming. I have 3 green bell pepper plant and 1 red bell pepper. They are blooming too. Can't wait for them to load up and get ripe. I have 6 cherry tomato plants. Hubby and sister like them.
    beerbelly likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

WindowBox.jpg

I finished with the window boxes today. I went with some begonia, sweet potato vine, creeping jenny, and coleus with some impatiens sprinkled in to tie it together. I can't wait to see how it fills out.

How big are the hills? Do you put the seeds in the top or the sides? They just never get big enough to do anything.
    Count your blessings!

I don't make great big hills, just about 6 inches tall. I poke all the seeds down in the middle and let them do their thing.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Oh, ow. Oh, ow. I've been gardening all day and am waiting for the aspirin to kick in.
    I can't believe I've never seen a rototiller in action before. My mom and my grandmother always dug theirs by hand, so that's what I've always done - with limited success.
    My neighbor was borrowing a rototiller for the weekend from a friend and asked if I'd like him to do my garden. In 10 minutes he had the whole thing so deep, all I had to do was rake out the roots and plop in the plants and seeds. He borrows it every year, but if he ever doesn't I'll rent one for the day. What a revelation!
    I asked him how he does his zucchini and he says he gets starts at the local nursery and they dip them in a vat of fertilizer if you ask. I'll try that.
    The perennial garden in front of my house is another story. I have to dig out weeds and grass and work around established plants. That takes a little longer.
    Punkin, waywyrd and inthegarden like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I don't make great big hills, just about 6 inches tall. I poke all the seeds down in the middle and let them do their thing.
    That is how we plant our squash hills. We plant one hill, wait until the seeds have sprouted and are plants, then we plant the other hill.

It looks like the Miracle Grow is working on my late-planted tomatoes. I've got flowers on two or three of them and they've more than doubled in size. The Tumbling Tom plant I bought is going crazy. I bought it with actual tomatoes already on it and those have been picked. I'd guess there are at least 50 tomatoes on that plant right now. In a few weeks, I'm going to be swimming in them! I was standing out front talking to my neighbor the other day when she looked up at the plant and said, "Oh my GOD, girl! That's crazy!" I've never seen so many tomatoes clustered on a plant like this. I'm talking multiple clusters of at least a dozen tomatoes.

Think I'm exaggerating? This is what a loaded Tumbling Tom plant looks like:
    VETOM10396_3.jpg
    Mine is heading this way.

I bought some sage and rosemary the other day, as well as some lemon thyme, which smells heavenly. I'd like to get some flowers planted for color, but my edibles are all planted.....well, maybe I'll get some basil. I'm going to wait and buy a big plant at Trader Joe's rather than at Home Depot. They're bigger and no more expensive.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oh, my..... Wow! Tomatoes are my favorite food of all. That plant makes me drool!

+ Reply to Thread