+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

To give you an idea, here are pictures of planters where I used Creeping Jenny in the mix.
    gerber daisy planter.jpgwave petunia.jpg
    Last edited by inthegarden; 05-01-2014 at 04:09 PM.
    Punkin and nennie like this.

Those are beautiful. What's the pinkish flower in the first picture?

Thank you. It is Lanai Upright Bright Rose Verbena by Proven Winners.

I'm doing some mulching today since it is absolutely gorgeous out! Gosh I love the smell.

I'm trying to cut out all the old stalks I should have taken care of last fall. I think I'll leave the leaves to mulch. This is in my perennial garden. It pretty much takes care of itself if I have a year when I can't tend to it.
    Count your blessings!

I got my tomatoes in last weekend - a little late, but they're in. I've got five varieties, including Romas, which I didn't mean to buy. The pot was in a bin for Better Boys and I didn't double check I don't like to grow Romas because you need a TON to make sauce and they're not good for much else. The others are Cherry 100s, a cascading yellow cherry in a hanging pot, Patios and a yellow grape tomato. With container gardening, I've found it's better to focus on smaller tomatoes. I have great salads all summer! I also did red bell peppers. We'll see how they do. Since I'm a little behind, I'm going to make sure to fertilize well with Miracle Grow for a while. Usually, I only give them that when I first plant and maybe once or twice more throughout the summer.

I bought a brand of potting soil I haven't used before and HOO BOY, does it smell like manure (and fertilizer chemicals)! Not so great when a pot of it is a few feet from my front door. I had it on the back seat of the car on the way home from the nursery and couldn't figure out where the burning rubber smell was coming from. I was afraid something in my car had gone kablooey. Derp.

I need to go buy some more herbs - my sage totally bit the dust this winter - and maybe some flowers. My next door neighbor has totally filled her front planter with flowers, so now I feel like I need to follow suit. It looks so pretty.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

You're way ahead of us. I was scraping ice off of my windshield last week in the morning.
    I did get a lot of dead stuff out of my perennial garden, a little solar fountain installed in my garden pool, and my screen house put up thanks to an unexpected mother's day visit from my son.
    I had a friend over for wine just now in the screen house with the birds singing and the sound of the fountain burbling. Life is good.
    Punkin and Cootie like this.
    Count your blessings!

Critical I like to chop up Romas and freeze for use in the winter. I add them to soups, stews, and other dishes. In the summer, I use the fresh Romas in salad's and baked dishes. They are denser and hold together better than other varieties when I cook with them.

I had a great mother's day! I spent the weekend with my mom, son, sister, niece and nephew's. My sister, who is an excellent cook, fed us while the rest of us worked in my mom's yard and garden. We took her to the local nursery and picked out plants for her flower borders and planters. She had the best time watching us and loved what we did.

I bought lemon grass, dill and basil (to plant with my tomatoes). I found a cool sedum 'Chocolate Drop' to add to my sedum planter.

FORT Fogey

I think I discovered a new way to weed this weekend, and now I'm not sure why I have not done it sooner. We had some rain,which seemed to really sprout a lot of clover and other pesky weeds like that in my flower beds. So I took a pointed blade hoe and broke up all the soil. After that, I just spent a couple of minutes pulling all the weeds out from the dirt. It got everything - plant and roots, without having to pull carefully to get the roots. So simple - why didn't I do this sooner!

By the way - the little solar fountain I got from Amazon
    Amazon.com : Patuoxun® Power Panel Kit Solar Water Pump Fountain Pool Garden Watering : Pond Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn & Garden
    is a nifty, easy, cheap addition to the garden. I used a bird feeder bowl sunk into the ground for the base of the fountain.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread