+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Brooks I wonder if your calico kitty has some healing herbs in mind for her humans. It would be interesting to see which herbs and there uses, bloom in the colors she favors.
    In fact both our kitties consider their job in life to be to take care of my ailing hubby, and Dora spends a considerable amount of time outside on our walks investigating the energy of what is in our yard. She's obsessed with eating grass but this is completely different. She's especially captivated by a particular juniper bush, starting about the time I learned juniper berries probably could have helped with hubby's long-time sinus infection. (also excellent for UTIs, by the way) Unfortunately I couldn't talk him into trying it. Most of the herbs she knows are the flowers associated with the Australian Bush flower essences I use and those may be the flowers she had in mind (the series includes many yellow and pink ones), but they aren't ones I would find locally. Instead of random annuals or perennials I'm going to look for some flowering medical herbs for her. Problem is, both cats expect to go out with Mom for their explores on weekends, separately, and only during good weather. Exactly the weather I need to do any gardening. ;^) So planting and tending her flowers is likely to take away from walking her.
    Last edited by Brooks; 04-25-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    inthegarden likes this.

Hey everyone! Does anybody have any tips for window boxes? I told my mother I'd help her out with some because I'm the "gardener" of the family but I'd love some advice if y'all have some. I've heard about putting sponges in the bottom to keep in moisture. Has anyone done that?

I've heard of putting diapers in flower boxes or large planters. Sponges would make sense, too.
    My male cat found the spot where I had several catnip plants growing last year. He keeps rolling around on it, even though I don't think it's started to grow yet. I hope he hasn't ripped it up.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by awesomekina23 View Post
    Hey everyone! Does anybody have any tips for window boxes? I told my mother I'd help her out with some because I'm the "gardener" of the family but I'd love some advice if y'all have some. I've heard about putting sponges in the bottom to keep in moisture. Has anyone done that?
    How fun. Window boxes are so pretty and there are so many good examples and ideas online. I've never used sponges in the bottom of planters so if you use them, let us know how they work. Keep in mind that they are now making sponges that have anti-bacterial material in them and you don't want to use those in your boxes. They make moisture control soil which might be an option for you. Also, brick or dark sided houses retain heat long after the sun has gone down and will increase your plants need for water.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awesomekina23 View Post
    I haven't! The only tips I can give are to line your flower boxes with plastic (garbage bags will do), fill with a light-weight planter mix (light weight is good unless your window boxes are extremely sturdy, they get heavy when watered!), and then trim off the excess plastic. The plastic helps your window boxes last longer.
    Other than that, keep a filled watering can or two nearby at all times. It's pretty easy to say "oh, I'll water them later" and then forget (I'm guilty of this!), but if the can is right there, you're more likely to do it!
    Plants that can tolerate a little heat and drought are a good idea too if you are looking to plant full sun.
    Try to plant a mixture of flowers with similar watering and nutrient requirements as well.

I have enough gardening on my hands without window boxes, but I adore them. Would love to see pictures of the finished product.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

So overquoted but still so true, just 'don't let the haters stop you from doing your thang.'

I hang window boxes from the rail of my deck. I make sure the drainage holes in the bottom of the boxes are open and then put broken pottery or stones over them so that dirt doesn't compact there are hamper the drainage. I usually do a combination of upright plants like geraniums or marigolds and trailing plants. I love the "Rave" or Wave" petunias. For the box on my front porch, which is in shade, I have the most success with impatiens. Frequent watering during the hot, dry summer months is a must.

weboverheasside.jpg

This is a view from my bedroom window a few years ago.
    Punkin, waywyrd, Brooks and 2 others like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

So pretty photobabe. Wave petunias are a favorite of mine. To me some of the prettiest boxes and planters are the ones that use simple combinations.
    I wish everyone would post more pictures of their gardens. It's fun to look at each others ideas. We have some very talented people on FoRT.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Moisture control soil looks like something I'll have to look into. I'm working on a lime green and red/purple/pink color scheme. I'm hoping to include some sweet potato vine, coleus, and impatiens. I might try out some petunias as well since a few of you seem to like those. I'll try to upload some photos later in the season when it fills out a little bit.
    inthegarden likes this.

The plant combination sounds lovely.
    Have you thought about adding some small leaved trailing or dainty flowered plants in the mix? They would look nice in combination with the coarser plants you have selected.
    I love to use Creeping Jenny (Moneywort), a bright lime green groundcover, in planters. I've also had good luck using Trailing Verbena, Million Bells and Lantana.
    awesomekina23 likes this.

Those sound wonderful. I was looking for something with some smaller leaves but I had been running across silver foliage which didn't fit my color scheme. Creeping Jenny seems to fit perfectly though! I'm excited to see how the lime green stands out against the red and dark purple of the other plants I'm planning to include. Thanks for the suggestions!

+ Reply to Thread