+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

This year is my first attempt at a spring veggie garden, trying broccoli and green peas in the ground, and lettuces in a big pot on the porch. The weather had been so cool, they are just now sprouting. Hoping there's still enough springtime to see them come to maturity. Also, trying some blueberry bushes and a blackberry vine. I had intentions of using the bushes as landscaping, but decided to plant them at the garden to be sure they get enough sun. Have any of you successfully planted fruit/veggie plants around for looks as well as usefulness (not just out in the garden)?
    remember to play

I would love to mix my berries in my landscaping but I have so many birds (even with my cats) and they love berries.
    I planted my blueberries, blackberries and grapes in the same area so I can cover them to protect them from the birds. I don't mind sharing but they do.
    I do have pink lemonade blueberries and strawberries planted in containers sitting near my perennial garden where I spend time. The strawberries jumped from the container to my perennial bed.
    Punkin likes this.

Okay, having them together to cover more easily is smart. I won't be wishing for something different now. We have enough birds without adding additional buffets for them around the house.
    We also planted some pink lemonade blueberries -- I thought they looked so pretty!
    inthegarden likes this.
    remember to play

I have a Julia Child rose bush. It's a floribunda with buttery, yellow roses. My bush has a branch on one side with pink flowers. They are shaped exactly like the yellow blooms, only they are pink. Odd?

rose bush 003.jpg
    beerbelly and Debb70 like this.

Not at all. Most roses are grafted. Hybridizers use a strong root stock and graft on the bud-eye(s) of a strong bloomer.
    Dr. Huey, a small red flowered climber, was and still is the rootstock that is most widely used. Several other varieties of rootstock are used too. Since your sucker is pink, the rootstock could be Manetti, Odorata or De La Griffenaie. Of the three, Odorata is known for suckering and might be the culprit.
    Also, they will use a combination graft, Dr. Huey as the rootstock, one as a collar or stem and graft on the bud-eye(s).

You can find roses that are grown from their own root. The packaging will state Own-Root Rose.

Sometimes the grafted bud-eye will die, leaving the rootstock, and your once 'yellow' blooming rose, will come back as a red, pink or whatever color of the rootstock.
    Rose purist, recommend cutting off the different colored rose sprout fearing that the rootstock will take over the grafted rose.
    I like the two toned rose. Just keep an eye on the sucker and if it gets too aggressive cut it off.
    Punkin likes this.

I like the two-toned plant too! Thanks for the root-stock info!

My calico kitty Dora is a gifted herbologist. She wants me to plant more flowers and more colors this year, in particular yellow, light pink and dark pink flowers. She probably has particular kinds in mind and I'll have to guess. She's into the energies so maybe they should be medicinal herbs. Not sure what I'll come up with, but I know my priority will be that they don't need deadheading, because I'm pretty sure she doesn't intend to help me with that.
    Punkin likes this.

When I am working in the garden our cats like to hang around. They think we've come outside to play with them. They offer no help, but do pounce on deadheaded blooms as I toss them to the ground. Perhaps they do that to make sure they are really, truly dead. That's helpful. Perhaps.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Punkin, I had a rose like that too at a home we moved from a few years back! It had solid pink and white roses but also mostly white with pink spots. It was lovely and a bit of a marvel. It was advertised as a pink rose but I think it was some strange hybrid.
    Punkin likes this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    When I am working in the garden our cats like to hang around. They think we've come outside to play with them. They offer no help, but do pounce on deadheaded blooms as I toss them to the ground. Perhaps they do that to make sure they are really, truly dead. That's helpful. Perhaps.
    Don't you just love that. I do. Both my cats and dogs 'help' me too. My oldest cat is a Tabby, during the day, she likes to pick sunny spots in the perennial border to nap. One day, I reached down to pull a weed and not seeing her, her black and silver striped tail flicked and touched my hand. It scared me. She just gave me a reassuring chirp and went back to her nap.

Brooks I wonder if your calico kitty has some healing herbs in mind for her humans. It would be interesting to see which herbs and there uses, bloom in the colors she favors.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread