+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    We just burned off our garden area to get it ready to plant. We are planting tomatoes and I hoping to plant some bell peppers and okra. I have my blackberry vines that I have to get pruned up.
    Two summers ago, we burnt off a square area to grow some tomato plants in. My hubby used an herbicide, then after several days, we placed tomato plants in that area surrounded with straw, and they grew beautifully.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    My out of control nemesis is forsythia. It is everywhere and grows back every time I cut it down. Luckily it's mostly behind the house and outbuildings on the edge of the woods, but it's been creeping forward.
    If a forsythia limb touches the ground it will root making it an invasive creeper. I have to keep my in check or it will eat up my planting areas.
    However... I did dig up some of those limbs that had rooted and planted along a border fence. It and Mammoth Sunflowers have grown into a good summer nosy neighbor screen without being too obvious.

It works its way up under my siding anywhere it's near the house. I've always loved forsythia. I wait until it blooms and then cut, cut, cut, cut, cut. Last year I had huge sprays of it to decorate for the spring concert our band and chorus puts on.
    Count your blessings!

I'll be lucky to get any forsythia blooms this year. The past few weeks deer have been munching away on my bushes. I don't have the heart to chase them because I know this dreadful winter has made it difficult for them to find food.
    Punkin, inthegarden and 1dog2kids like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

If anyone is interested about which plant hardiness or heat zone they live in, the USDA has both maps on their website.
    Of course, this is only a guide and plants survival depend on environmental factors too.
    beerbelly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    I'll be lucky to get any forsythia blooms this year. The past few weeks deer have been munching away on my bushes. I don't have the heart to chase them because I know this dreadful winter has made it difficult for them to find food.
    So if I cut lots of forsythia and put it back in the meadow where there are lots of deer, they'll eat it?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I'm bumping this thread. I'm notifying Mother Nature...it's SPRING! Bring on the warmer weather and sunshine.

What are your gardening plans?
    I am going to find someone to bag all the leaves. I have just started weekly spraying of fungicide on my roses; and I hope to buy one more rose for my little bed.
    You can do it!

If I could recommend a favorite rose, Lizard, it would be "Just Joey" by Edmonds Roses. I have one in bush and one tree. They have beautiful huge , flagrant blooms. Just Joey Hybrid Tea Rose | Hybrid Tea Roses | Edmunds' Roses Here are some pics: https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...just+joey+rose. I get 3 or 4 abundant bloomings a season.
    inthegarden likes this.

Just Joey is a beautiful rose. I don't have much luck with hybrid tea roses. I guess I don't have the patience that is requires to take care of them. I do admire people that have rose garden's. The beauty and fragrance of a rose is outstanding.
    I prefer the heirloom roses and Rugosa roses that are grown on their own rootstock.
    I have several landscape roses. They are easy to take care of but they don't have that wonderful rose fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    So if I cut lots of forsythia and put it back in the meadow where there are lots of deer, they'll eat it?
    I doubt it. I think they like it directly off the plant. They just eat the buds. But, no harm in trying! They will eat bread, bird seed and apples. I always put my stale bread out for them. One of my pet sitting clients feeds the deer twice a day, every day. Year round. They have become very tame. One time when I was putting the food out for them I had to back up because a doe came right up to me. She puts out bread, birdseed and dog kibble. Occasionally apples are included. But I think the kibble is for the fox. It's fun watching the fox and deer standing right next to each other eating.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

+ Reply to Thread