+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I'm bumping this thread. I'm notifying Mother Nature...it's SPRING! Bring on the warmer weather and sunshine.

What are your gardening plans?
    I've got plenty of prep work that needs to be done. I need to prune, edge and mulch my landscaped areas, till in compost, clear out extra winter protection and trim plants I wintered over in the greenhouse.
    I recently purchased San Marzano and Red Calabash Tomato seeds. I've never grown either variety. I'm hoping they grow and produce enough to freeze. I like to use the San Marzano's for sauces.
    I rooted two black raspberry vines to add to my red raspberries , a clematis and red honeysuckle vine. My tiny greenhouse is getting hard to walk in so spring better hurry up. I've had too much planning time.
    Punkin and waywyrd like this.

I'm full up with poppies, daffodils, freesias, and some other bulbs flowering. Underground the lilies, peonies, glads, dahlias and hanging begonias are plotting their return. The roses and hydrangea never fully lost their leaves during the winter we didn't get this year, but I pruned them back anyway and they are showing life.

And, oh happy day! It's raining like crazy outside!

Edited to add: My garden is plenty full with perennials so I don't have to do too much other than weeding and enriching the soil in the Spring. Sure wish I had somewhere to grow raspberries, though.
    inthegarden likes this.

We just burned off our garden area to get it ready to plant. We are planting tomatoes and I hoping to plant some bell peppers and okra. I have my blackberry vines that I have to get pruned up.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Every inch I could possibly consider planting is still covered in ice and snow. I do have sweet pea seeds ready to put in and I know a local nursery that starts their own pansies that I would normally have put in TWO WEEKS AGO!
    Count your blessings!

This weather is nuts, I'm way behind where I usually am, garden-wise. I've got broccoli, beets and cauliflower doing their thing already...I'm thinking I can harvest in about three weeks, maybe less.

And stupid me snatched up some tomatoes from Lowe's already. I couldn't wait. Poor things are getting shuffled in and out of the garage as weather permits. If I wait too long, all the heirloom varieties get sold out!
    inthegarden likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I see a peek of green of a small plant coming in in my jasmine pot. It's probably a weed but I'm welcoming it!!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Mudseason!!! I'm trying to take down a very large bittersweet tangle we call Igor before leaf-out and tick season start. The only way I'll coax it into my brush pile area is to cut it into little bits. I'm about half way through. Igor has been a hangout for a lot of sparrows and probably rabbits. I'll need to figure out something a little tamer that the animals can also enjoy. It's part of a very long term project to reverse years of wild landscaping to restore some curb appeal. I intend to be here for many more years but I don't know how many years I can keep up this pace of yardwork. I came down with lyme disease in 2008, I'm sure from one of my wade-through flower gardens and I have never felt quite the same peace in my garden since then.

We have a lot of mud here too. Between the rain and snow, it's just a mess.

I was thinking of only doing my outdoor herb garden, but after reading here, I'm being inspired. The Raspberries look like a great idea! Is it too late to plant squash? I love them so much.

My out of control nemesis is forsythia. It is everywhere and grows back every time I cut it down. Luckily it's mostly behind the house and outbuildings on the edge of the woods, but it's been creeping forward.
    Count your blessings!

When I lived near Boston I remember mud season!!!

Gut - I would love to have a forsythia problem.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread