+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I read that too! Or drop them in a bucket of water.

They can be reduced by planting marigold flowers around these plants.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I have been planting marigolds around veggies for years. I remember hearing they did something beneficial but can't remember what! .... so I just keep planting them. They seem to also be somewhat effective repelling/deterring, squirrels, bunnies etc.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I do all container gardening and because of the location of my house, I rarely have pests like that. A few years ago though, I had one of those worms. I found it when one of my beautiful Bull's Heart tomatoes fell off the plant to the ground. A little horn worm had eaten all the way around the stem and detached it from the vine! No other damage to the tomato, so I just cut the top off and ate it.

I have more problems keeping some herbs - especially and variety of mint - unmolested. The plant looks great one day and then, it seems like I look the next day and there's nothing left but the veins of the leaf. Bums me out because I love having mint. My grandmother had a huge hedge of spearmint next to her house, so it's a sentimental thing to have it. The smell just takes me back.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My tomatoes are in containers on my deck. I've never had tomato horn worms before. When I saw them (there were 2) I freaked out and clipped of the stems and threw them to the ground 9 feet below (after taking the photo of one of them).I don't think it's likely they will crawl across the yard and climb back onto the deck....is it?

So, after posting the above I did another search. It is not a tomato hornworm...it is a tobacco hornworm! The difference is the color of the "horn". On the tomato horn it is black, on the tobacco worm it is red. But, they both infest tomatoes! Also, once they are covered with parasitic wasp larva, like mine, they are dead so are no longer able to cause damage. That is why it is recommended to leave them be at that stage. Oh well, if there is a next time, I will know what to do.
    Last edited by Photobabe; 09-03-2013 at 04:53 PM.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    I freaked out and clipped of the stems and threw them to the ground 9 feet below. I don't think it's likely they will crawl across the yard and climb back onto the deck....is it?
    Be afraid!! Be very afraid!!!
    Last edited by Brooks; 09-03-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Be afraid!! Be very afraid!!!
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    It is not a tomato hornworm...it is a tobacco hornworm! ... I freaked out and clipped of the stems and threw them to the ground 9 feet below (after taking the photo of one of them).I don't think it's likely they will crawl across the yard and climb back onto the deck....is it?
    I think they'll probably have a smoke and talk it over with the neighborhood earwigs and choose some new "digs".
    Photobabe likes this.

Mohandas Gandhi

I am enjoying the daily harvest of the super sweet 100 tomatoes ... but the odd weather has stimulated an old rose vine and I have a flower and some buds.

Nature is confusing things!

Mohandas Gandhi

I'm getting ready for what's probably my final big tomato crop of the year. I only hope the usual warm weather holds through October. I've probably got several dozen Husky Cherries and Juliet grape tomatoes, along with some Patios and a few Heinz tomatoes that all just need a bit more time to ripen. Looking forward to some more Caprese salad before fall comes in!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm getting ready for what's probably my final big tomato crop of the year. I only hope the usual warm weather holds through October. I've probably got several dozen Husky Cherries and Juliet grape tomatoes, along with some Patios and a few Heinz tomatoes that all just need a bit more time to ripen. Looking forward to some more Caprese salad before fall comes in!
    Those little tomatoes,, right off the vine are luscious. We have had a few heavy rains ... and that causes over-watering and a couple of them split.

Caprese salads are wonderful. I am addicted to fresh mozzarella anyway!

-I wonder how Norwindian's hanging up-side-down sweet 100's are doing?

Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread