+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    There is a product called Liquid Fence that has worked for me for deer and rabbits. I never use it on veggies as it contains urine.
    That is why that Havahart DeFence intrigued me because they have pellets too.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Hello Garden friends!

I went to a destination spa in PA and thought of you. There was a master gardener and she was outstanding! I learned so much! I now want to plant ground cherries. I unearthed 2 carrots from the ground (first time for this NYC girl). She said to let the plants speak to you to where they want to be - if a gourd wants to be in the flowers let it be. And to always grow from seed. It was such a magical experience tasting all these wonderful plants, herbs etc.

On my birthday I went to the botany walk with the master herbalist. He was talking about how some mushrooms glow in the dark and said that they grow under a log "much like this one" and wouldn't you know they were on that log? The 5 of us went into a dark treatment room and after a while....they glowed! It was crazy! If my aunt wasn't with me she would have thought I was making it up. The herbalist said that it was a birthday candle.
    inthegarden likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions. We feel better already.

Question - So, when you put a tree wrap/guard on, you only take it off to replace it as the tree grows?
    For some reason, we were thinking of using one during the winter months only. Are we wrong?
    I'm sorry if I confused you.
    I would only use the tree wrap/guard to protect the bark on your tree until your rabbit problem was resolved and then remove it.
    You are correct. Using the tree wrap during the winter months is a good idea. It will help to protect against winter damage called Sunscald. Remove the wrap in early spring.

The reason I mention checking the wrap/guard is because, not meaning you, but I've been called to look at trees where the wrap or guard has not been removed and over time, it caused damage to the tree.
    Tree wrap is a biodegradable heavy crepe paper type of material that will expand as the tree grows. The problem you find with tree wrap is if left unchecked, insects can hide behind it and damage the bark.
    Tree guards are usually a more permanent barrier and used to prevent animal, people, mower, weed trimmer damage. If they are not checked and replaced as the tree grows, the tree bark will grow around it. In some cases the guard will girdle a tree causing it to die.

What is everyone planting this fall?
    - Virginia Woolf

ugly thing.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this thing is? I found it on my tomato plant. It's pretty gross.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Yes, It's a Tomato Hornworm.

Thanks, inthegarden. I did some research and discovered that the white things are the pupae of parasitic wasps. Like I said. Gross.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

They gross me out too, Photobabe. I hate to find them in the garden. Squash beetles flip me out too. Oh, and bag worms...yuck!

Fascinating!

"Natural enemies, such as the parasitic wasp that lays its eggs on the hornworm's back, are common. If found, such worms should be left in the garden so the emerging wasps can parasitize other hornworms."
    - Virginia Woolf

I think you have to remove them so they don't destroy/defoliate your plant and/or damage the green fruit.

I don't know how to destroy them and one article said snip them in half! Yuck!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread