+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Well the black wasps left and new polinators have arrived. At first I thought they were bumble bees .... but they looked small ... so I took a good look and I am pretty sure they are carpenter bees. I do have a wood privacy fence ... but my neighbor has 3 or 4 piles of wood and I think that is where they are getting there fill.

A lot of the wood is from Wisconsin where he has a "cottage" ... so I am thinking he may have delivered them in his wood piles.

The good news is this second harvest has huge raspberries and many of them! I send the SO to pick and fraternize with the bees.

I have read ... that carpenter bees are not aggressive and they fly around like they are a little drunk! So it's all good.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

My summer garden has fizzled out. I picked the last of the tomatoes this weekend.
    My peppers and okra are still producing so they will stay, the rest I'm going to mow down, till, and let rest until its time to plant my fall garden of greens.
    For me, it's pear, apple and grape picking time.

The tomatoes are finished? That's shocking. This is sort of high tomato season here.

I wish I had some fruit trees ...or neighbors willing to share.

Mohandas Gandhi

We have had a very unusual growing season. It was cooler and wetter than normal for our region.

I'm still in the middle of tomato season here too. I'll probably have tomatoes until the end of October, which is good, since I was out of town for a huge portion of the summer and missed the first big crop of tomatoes. Tons of flowers on my tomato plants right now, so I'm hoping for lots more soon!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The rabbits have gone crazy in our plant/flower garden. They are munching/destroying so many of our plants...and our newly seeded lawn. My husband and I are beside ourselves with these little creatures. We're also worried about what they may do to the bark of a newly planted tree this coming winter.

We've tried chicken wire, which is sooooo unattractive, but they dig under it. We also sprinkle on that powdery stuff with pepper and dried blood, to no avail. ARGH!

Any other ideas.

If you use fence, it helps to plant it in the ground 4"-6" deep and support the fence to keep the rabbits from pushing it down.
    For your new trees, tree wrap or a tree guard helps in preventing animal nibbles and sun scald. If you choose a wrap that touches the bark, make sure it will expand as the tree grows. I prefer using a guard that gives you space between the bark and guard.
    I've made free standing tree guards from galvanized steel hardware cloth (Lowe's or other hardware store). The space between the mesh holes is small, about 1/4". I used 24" height cloth and cut it long enough to leave a 1"-2" space between the cloth and the bark.
    Whatever you use for a guard or wrap, check it seasonally, to prevent it from interfering with the diameter growth of your tree and from damaging the tree bark.

I have always heard Cayenne pepper ... but any rain or water and it has to be reapplied.

Mexican Marigolds abnd Garlic help some ... and keeping the garden weeded and eliminating any overgrowth or "cover" helps too.

A product called DeFence by Havahart is supposed to work and comes in spray or pellets.

Mohandas Gandhi

There is a product called Liquid Fence that has worked for me for deer and rabbits. I never use it on veggies as it contains urine.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions. We feel better already.

Question - So, when you put a tree wrap/guard on, you only take it off to replace it as the tree grows? For some reason, we were thinking of using one during the winter months only. Are we wrong?

+ Reply to Thread