+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    My tomatoes were a little late starting this year but now I have lots of red ripe ones. At lunch time today I picked one, sliced it and had a yummy BLT. The rest of that tomato will be part of tonights dinner salad. I only have 2 plants in containers on my deck but right now I have so many ripe ones I am giving them away!
    I love BLT's. I'm glad tomatoes ripen in the summer! I know I can work off all the bacon and bread I'm eating.

After giving tomatoes away, I still had a counter full. I cooked a huge pot of tomato sauce and froze it in small containers to use this winter.
    Cootie and Photobabe like this.

I wish I lived closer to you - I love tomatos!!!
    Punkin, inthegarden and Photobabe like this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I love tomatoes too. Nothing tastes better than a fresh picked tomato. I've always liked the flavor of the Big Beefsteak best.
    Those and Sweet 100 are my favorites.
    beerbelly likes this.
    The more I know people, the more I love my dog. ~ Mark Twain

My first sweet 100 (of this year) is starting to get color: !
    inthegarden and NorwIndian like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Aren't sweet 100's delicious! I keep a bowl of them on the counter and grab a handful when I go by. Enjoy!

beerbelly Sweet 100's would be a good container plant for you next year. How are the ladybugs working for you?

Hi! I'm totally adding those to my list. Who knew such a city girl would be so obsessed with gardening (I show my co-workers my growing sunflowers!). I'd also love morning glories. And of course, tomatos!

All the ladybugs flew away - however they were so much fun to watch. It was better than tv! There was a lot of ladybug mating so I am hoping they laid some eggs.

I will be so sad when winter comes and I don't have my terrace gardening to moon over.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Aren't sweet 100's delicious! I keep a bowl of them on the counter and grab a handful when I go by. Enjoy!

beerbelly Sweet 100's would be a good container plant for you next year. How are the ladybugs working for you?
    I just love them! I don't have enough yet to fill a bowl ... but hopefully soon! My mouth is now watering.

And beerbelly ... I agree ... they are easy to grow but they grow tall so you will need something to hold them up. I found pretty tomato "cages" last year but even tall stakes would work.

Mohandas Gandhi

I have a situation with those raspberries I keepm talking aboit.

The second round is on it's way. Little flowers and the bgrrrn beginnings of berries. Nothing is read yet.

They are being pollinated .... BUT, unlike all the wonderful Bumble Bees, we now have a lot of Great Black Wasps at work and they are frightening.

See here ...

IL Black Wasp - Sphex pensylvanicus - BugGuide.Net

I have read elsewhere that they have a really nasty sting ... so now I am afraid.

Is there any thing I can do or use to send there elsewhere that wont hurt the raspberries.

Maybe a fogger of some sort?

Mohandas Gandhi

Hi Echo!

I found this:

Wasps cannot resist the draw of sugar water and similar mixtures. Simply place a homemade trap near the area where wasps build their nests and wait for the insects to become trapped within. To make your own trap of household materials, cut off the top end of a plastic soda bottle (2 or 3 liter) and retain it to make your trap. In the bottom half of the bottle, mix one part water with one part sugar or maple syrup. Invert the top end of your bottle and place into the bottom half, leaving a downward-pointing cone to serve as a trap. Staple the two halves together this way and place near the wasps' nest. The wasps will be attracted by the scent of the sweet solution and will fly into the small hole in the neck of the bottle. They will either drown or become stuck to the sticky sides of the bottle, unable to escape through the tiny hole through which they came. Remember to change out the solution in the trap periodically, as wasps will begin to use the drowned bodies of other insects as a raft to escape from the trap.

Read more: Get Rid of Wasps' Nests - Answers.com Guides
    - Virginia Woolf

If you use a fogger or other insect spray it will kill your other pollinators too. Maybe avoid the area when they are most active?

+ Reply to Thread