+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Thanks ... maybe next year. It is actually getting kind of cool. Almost feels like fall.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I have been reading about your gardens for hours. I love to garden too. This is the first time in 20 years that I haven't had a huge vegetable garden. I've taken extras to neighbors, friends, food banks, anybody who wants it.
    I miss it this year, but I'll be back out there next year!
    In the meantime, my son bought me one of those upside down tomato hangers and hung my favorite cherry tomato Sweet 100 right outside the window where my bed is and he comes and takes care of it. It's nice to be able to see it but I miss getting my hands in the dirt.
    Photobabe likes this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    I have been reading about your gardens for hours. I love to garden too. This is the first time in 20 years that I haven't had a huge vegetable garden. I've taken extras to neighbors, friends, food banks, anybody who wants it.
    I miss it this year, but I'll be back out there next year!
    In the meantime, my son bought me one of those upside down tomato hangers and hung my favorite cherry tomato Sweet 100 right outside the window where my bed is and he comes and takes care of it. It's nice to be able to see it but I miss getting my hands in the dirt.
    Hey! Sweet 100 s MY favorite too!

I discovered that tomato in, I think, 2000 when I was in my previous home. I planted it next to a chain link fence I shared with a neighbor, and that summer it got SO tall we were tying broomsticks to the fence for support. It is a super producer and I just love it. We were eating those tomatoes like candy.

Last year I tried one in a container and it did very well even though I wasn't able to personally tend to it. My SO was bringing cherry tomatoes to me in the hospital !

The weather here was so weird, that I planted late ... so we'll see in a couple of weeks.

Enjoy the view of your tomato plant with great anticipation of the harvest!
    beerbelly likes this.

Mohandas Gandhi

I think this one will touch the ground, it's getting so big. I've never used the upside down planter thing before. My son is going to come and figure out how to hang the plant higher so the deer don't eat my tomatoes.
    Now that the dog doesn't stay out as much, the dang deer have eaten most of the flowers on my porch but they aren't getting my tomatoes!
    I eat them like candy too. The Sweet 100 are the only cherry tomato I like. I don't like the skin on most of them.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    I think this one will touch the ground, it's getting so big. I've never used the upside down planter thing before. My son is going to come and figure out how to hang the plant higher so the deer don't eat my tomatoes.
    Now that the dog doesn't stay out as much, the dang deer have eaten most of the flowers on my porch but they aren't getting my tomatoes!
    I eat them like candy too. The Sweet 100 are the only cherry tomato I like. I don't like the skin on most of them.
    Can you see Bambi and company coming to visit?

I have never tried the upside down container either. I have tried some of those hanging bag planters, mostly with flowers but one year with strawberries.
    I like them ... the planters in some places ... but SO hates them because they are difficult to water and must be watered frequently!

Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I planted a bell pepper called the Yummy Bell. A petite bell pepper. If you don't pick it green, it turns red. The tag reads fruit size 1.5" x 2.5". The size of the pepper is accurate and it is yummy. I planted mine in the garden beside the big bell peppers. I think it would make a great container plant. It would be good for someone who just needs a small amount of bell pepper at a time.
    I'm going to be sure to look for these next summer! They might do better in containers than regular-sized bells.

After nearly 7 weeks out of town, I came home to (mostly) living tomato plants and herbs, thanks to my neighbor. She watered and took care of everything for me. One tomato plant isn't looking so great - mainly because the friend who was watering over this past weekend for me didn't do such a great job - but the others are still bearing fruit. Apparently, there was a huge explosion of tomatoes while I was gone. I'm hoping there will be another one soon!
    beerbelly likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My tomatoes were a little late starting this year but now I have lots of red ripe ones. At lunch time today I picked one, sliced it and had a yummy BLT. The rest of that tomato will be part of tonights dinner salad. I only have 2 plants in containers on my deck but right now I have so many ripe ones I am giving them away!
    beerbelly likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Photobabe...I will have some tomatos!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    Photobabe...I will have some tomatos!
    Beerbelly, next spring buy some big pots and some high quality potting soil and create your own "farm" on your patio. I grow them in pots on my deck because if I plant them in my garden the wild critters wait 'till they are almost ripe and them take 1 bite out of each tomato! Although some varieties are recommended for container growing, I just buy what I want. As long as they have good soil and a lot of sun most any variety produce well in containers.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    Beerbelly, next spring buy some big pots and some high quality potting soil and create your own "farm" on your patio. I grow them in pots on my deck because if I plant them in my garden the wild critters wait 'till they are almost ripe and them take 1 bite out of each tomato! Although some varieties are recommended for container growing, I just buy what I want. As long as they have good soil and a lot of sun most any variety produce well in containers.
    I agree! Would only add, depending where you live (Zone) it's good to check the number of days until harvest. I have some that can be harvested in 40-45 days ... and I think the sweet 100's mentioned are about 80 days. So if you coordinate you will have some tomatoes through most of the summer and into fall!

I am envious of all here with long growing seasons!
    Photobabe likes this.

Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread