+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

That's what I thought Photobabe. Leave the new growth alone if you want raspberries in the future. Cut the dead canes out.
    Count your blessings!

Sad face. One of my plants is not doing very well. White spotted leaves and small webs between the leaves. Anyone know what this is? Urban blight?
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

beerbelly, that sounds like spider mites. You can get rid of them by washing the leaves thoroughly with soap and water. Be sure to wash the underside as well as the top. Or, you can buy a commercial insecticide.
    beerbelly likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Raspberries canes are biennial, which means the canes grow the first year, produce fruit the second year and then die. They propagate (reproduce) by suckers which develop from the root. They are called suckers, but are not the same type as mentioned above because they don't weaken the plant. The only reason to remove them is either to control the diameter of the existing plant or if you want to move or share your raspberries. If you don't know whether you have ever-bearing raspberries (produce fruit in the spring and fall), I would wait until next spring to remove canes you don't want. This will insure you have berries next year.

I agree with Photobabe. Also, if you decide to use soap and water, use plain soap not detergent or antibacterial soap. The spray will need to be repeated about 2 or 3 times, every 7-10 days to make sure you kill the spider mites. I would spray all the Jasmine not just the one with the spider mites. Spray early in the morning or late afternoon to avoid leaf sun burn or leaf scalding.
    beerbelly and Photobabe like this.

Thank you! Who knew there would be spider mites in NYC?
    - Virginia Woolf

Thanks! Photobabe

I went out with pruners in hand and looked the next morning ... and there is growth on top that is now flowering. This is my second harvest for THIS year, but a little early. I feel like such a ditz. But my excuse isthat I wasn't involved last year because of that injury ... and I don't remember the details from the year before.

Thanks again!
    Photobabe likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Raspberries canes are biennial, which means the canes grow the first year, produce fruit the second year and then die. They propagate (reproduce) by suckers which develop from the root. They are called suckers, but are not the same type as mentioned above because they don't weaken the plant. The only reason to remove them is either to control the diameter of the existing plant or if you want to move or share your raspberries. If you don't know whether you have ever-bearing raspberries (produce fruit in the spring and fall), I would wait until next spring to remove canes you don't want. This will insure you have berries next year.
    I am embarrassed to say I have never cut anything down or out because I was afraid I would kill or "sterilize" it.

I have this new growth now with these buds on top and they are tall ... some are 6 feet high. I also have a small bag of last years raspberries in my freezer marked October 2012 ... and I am in zone 5. So ... I think they are ever-bearing.

It is just amazing this year because it seems I have been invaded by raspberries. I would love to try to share a plant ... but I have no idea how.

You are all so experienced and smart. I try to learn as I go along and hope I don't mess up. I cook the same way ... so I'll tell you abut my first pie baking experience another time.

My SO is is suggesting I make a refrigerator pie with raspberries and pudding in a graham cracker crust.

I am also going to take a shot at raspberry/yogurt smoothies.
    inthegarden likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I planted sunflowers and they just started to sprout!

For the spider mites I ordered live ladybugs. Although I think it might be too late for my forsythia.....
    - Virginia Woolf

The lady bugs are a good idea, but meanwhile give the affected plants a good soap and water wash. The ladybugs may arrive to save your plants.
    beerbelly likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I planted a bell pepper called the Yummy Bell. A petite bell pepper. If you don't pick it green, it turns red. The tag reads fruit size 1.5" x 2.5". The size of the pepper is accurate and it is yummy. I planted mine in the garden beside the big bell peppers. I think it would make a great container plant. It would be good for someone who just needs a small amount of bell pepper at a time.

+ Reply to Thread