+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: Gardening

Thanks! I looked it up and am going to try a few things. I'm actually backing off watering a little to make sure that over-watering is not the problem, first. I have really good soil (with lots of coarse vermiculite and coconut husk so the roots should be getting air. At this point, I think it's either over-watering or a disease.
    Photobabe likes this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Squee! My Jasmine plants are taking off! New green leaves!
    spockwhat and inthegarden like this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Help! I have never had trouble with tomatoes in the past, but I have three plants of five that keep wilting on me! They perk right up in the morning (mostly) and I've been watering the heck out of them so I don't have an idea what is going on. I've had wilting in the past but they are fine after watering... so I don't understand what's happening to these guys. They are fruiting right now. Everything else in the garden is fine... cukes, cantaloupe, salad greens (they're bolting now though, darn) and peppers.

I don't want my tomatoes to die!
    Me either. I hope it is a watering issue.
    I hope it's not wilt. It takes years for the fungus to leave your soil. I don't know of a cure other than to pull up the plants and throw them away. Since wilts are soil borne fungus, don't put the plants in your compost!
    Sometimes, if you've had a nice cool spring and then it turns blistering hot, it takes a while for tomatoes to adjust to the heat. The fruit will sunburn (have large white spots) on the afternoon sun side.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Me either. I hope it is a watering issue.
    I hope it's not wilt. It takes years for the fungus to leave your soil. I don't know of a cure other than to pull up the plants and throw them away. Since wilts are soil borne fungus, don't put the plants in your compost!
    Sometimes, if you've had a nice cool spring and then it turns blistering hot, it takes a while for tomatoes to adjust to the heat. The fruit will sunburn (have large white spots) on the afternoon sun side.
    I pulled one and split the stem and besides the wilt, it otherwise looked healthy. A few days of backing off the watering and they seem to be picking up. I think I was drowning my poor babies! I did give them a bit of water yesterday evening but I checked this morning and they still look better than before. It's supposed to be a hot week here (40's with humidity... that's over a 100 farenheit) so I'm going to really have to keep an eye on them and make sure I don't underwater them either.
    Everything is fruiting like crazy (had a nice green pepper, the first cuke, a carrot, and a gr. onion to add to my romaine lettuce... (which is bolting) The lettuce was a little bitter but it was a lovely salad overall with sweet dressing. This is my first year with my new veggie garden (I've only done tomatoes in the past), so it's all quite exciting.
    Thanks again for your help!
    Last edited by spockwhat; 07-15-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    beerbelly, Cootie and inthegarden like this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

About my Raspberries which have gone crazy ... there are some tall things that appear to be suckers. I don't recall them from last year, but I could be wrong because I was hospitalized last year and had to rely on others to pick them. Do raspberries get suckers? The funny thing is if they are suckers they don't seem to be hurting them or stealing energy. They are loaded with berries! My SO says the berries are ripening right before his eyes! He picks a few and walks a few feet and looks back and sees some from a different angle ... and thinks they are sneaking up behind him and ripening!
    spockwhat likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    About my Raspberries which have gone crazy ... there are some tall things that appear to be suckers. I don't recall them from last year, but I could be wrong because I was hospitalized last year and had to rely on others to pick them. Do raspberries get suckers? The funny thing is if they are suckers they don't seem to be hurting them or stealing energy. They are loaded with berries! My SO says the berries are ripening right before his eyes! He picks a few and walks a few feet and looks back and sees some from a different angle ... and thinks they are sneaking up behind him and ripening!
    Yes they do. They produce suckers from the main root.
    Do you have enough to freeze for this winter? lucky you

What are suckers?
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Yes they do. They produce suckers from the main root.
    Do you have enough to freeze for this winter? lucky you
    Should I cut the suckers off?

Yes I have lots to freeze.I have already frozen a bunch. Depending on the weather, I will have berries through maybe October!
    I have them w/cereal or yogurt for breakfast ... and I put them in salad.
    I am also going to cook some down and freeze for ice cream topping and I am going to look for some other recipes.

Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    What are suckers?
    They are side shoots that sprout from the root ... and don't bear fruit or flowers. This happens with lots of plants but certainly tomatoes, roses and now raspberries.

They can "steal" energy to grow and flower from the main plant and limit the flowers and fruits.

That is the best I can explain it but some of the experts here can do a better job of explaining.

Mohandas Gandhi

I did a search on it and read that raspberries don't have suckers. The new growth from the roots on raspberry plants is the growth that will bare fruit next year. I just typed "gardening, raspberries,. suckers" into a search engine. So, check it out before cutting them off.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

+ Reply to Thread