+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Thank you Photo! I would love to have tomatoes! I never thought of sunflowers either.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    Tomatoes love heat and sun, as do most veggies. For flowers, why not sunflowers? On my south facing deck I grow hibiscus in pots. They can't survive a cold winter but can be overwintered indoors. I keep mine several years by bring them in. Once they get too big I toss them and buy new. I bought a new one this year for $15 and it has been in constant bloom. Yesterday it had 12 giant yellow blooms. Gorgeous!

The only downside to a south facing garden is the need for frequent watering. When it is very hot and dry plants sometime need to be watered twice a day if they are in containers.

Good luck!
    At the end of the season and before wintering, I prune both my shrub and treeform hibiscus back to about 3" -4" from the main stalk/trunk. When the weather permits, I bring them outside and mix a time release fertilizer in the top of the soil and water with a water soluble fertilizer. I water them daily, sometimes twice when it reaches 90 + degrees and weekly with a water soluble fertilizer. They are one of the plants that don't mind being potbound so you don't have to repot but about every 2-3 years. Hibiscus love a lot of water and a lot of sunshine.

beerbelly, there are a wide variety of plants that could be potted together that would give you nice seasonal color. The rule of thumb for planter or pot is...a thriller, a spiller and and a filler. Also, use plants that have the same water needs. If you need some ideas, you can PM me.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 07-04-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    beerbelly likes this.

beerbelly I was thinking, tomatoes, dianthus, and mixed perennial phlox There are varietiesof phlox that bloom, in spring and summer/late summer. I love hibiscus. but I enjoy them as an annual. No good place to over winter. Also just think about what you may enjoy just looking at ... or consuming. Then google to see if they are good in sun, and being resistant to drought or over-watering is a bonus.

If room.a perennial Clematis is a good pick. Just make sure you know if it grows on "old wood" or "new wood" before you cut anything.

Last ... look NOW or very soon for end of season clearances for any perennials and/or annuals

BTW, Forsythia blooms with those yellow leaves in the spring and then the new growth is yellow next year.

Jasmine sounds great, but I'm not familiar with zones ... but I am presuming you are keeping it indoors?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

My Jasmine wintered really good, it was the only herb of the 3 I planted last year that made it through and it looks great this year!

I've been really loving succulents this year. I planted a good sized pot for beside my door at the end of May and we've been through some ups and downs lol but they're by far my favorites, a few even have names now My cactus developed a little bald patch so I can give him a hello rub when I walk by and the hens & chicks have been growing like crazy. I finally got the other succulent pot planted for the other side of the door this weekend and really love how it turned out. This side of the porch gets more light (pretty much solid light all day as the overhang doesn't block it here) so I was pretty careful not to get any light coloured succulents because I found that they tend to get sunburn really easily. But the only tip you really need for growing them is not to overwater so they're prefect for balconies and plant pots. I just need to figure out a winter home for them (pretty sure they'll join me at the office) cause I'm far too attached to see them all die off in the snow, although I've seen some huge patches of hens & chicks that we're not freshly planted this year so some variations will last through the winter.

Here's a couple pictures the centre plant in the second pot is my favorite of all, I call him fuzz-ears cause he's the softest plant I've ever felt ...it's just like puppy ears lol!

2013-06-05 19.54.36.jpg Planter 2 - Before.jpg
    Cootie likes this.

I just bought some sunflower seeds for planting. I went to my Aunt's house on LI and her sunflowers look so hardy.

The jasmine plants are outside and seem to be doing well. The forsythia seems to be getting too much sun (even though I put an umbrella over it) so it's getting crispy brown leafs. I moved it so it will get more shade.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll View Post
    My Jasmine wintered really good, it was the only herb of the 3 I planted last year that made it through and it looks great this year!

I've been really loving succulents this year. I planted a good sized pot for beside my door at the end of May and we've been through some ups and downs lol but they're by far my favorites, a few even have names now My cactus developed a little bald patch so I can give him a hello rub when I walk by and the hens & chicks have been growing like crazy. I finally got the other succulent pot planted for the other side of the door this weekend and really love how it turned out. This side of the porch gets more light (pretty much solid light all day as the overhang doesn't block it here) so I was pretty careful not to get any light coloured succulents because I found that they tend to get sunburn really easily. But the only tip you really need for growing them is not to overwater so they're prefect for balconies and plant pots. I just need to figure out a winter home for them (pretty sure they'll join me at the office) cause I'm far too attached to see them all die off in the snow, although I've seen some huge patches of hens & chicks that we're not freshly planted this year so some variations will last through the winter.

Here's a couple pictures the centre plant in the second pot is my favorite of all, I call him fuzz-ears cause he's the softest plant I've ever felt ...it's just like puppy ears lol!

Attachment 29243 Attachment 29242
    In the second pot, next to the one that looks like it needs some hair gel ... is one that looks like it could wear a bow tie.

Truly, they are sweet!

Mohandas Gandhi

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Help! I have never had trouble with tomatoes in the past, but I have three plants of five that keep wilting on me! They perk right up in the morning (mostly) and I've been watering the heck out of them so I don't have an idea what is going on. I've had wilting in the past but they are fine after watering... so I don't understand what's happening to these guys. They are fruiting right now. Everything else in the garden is fine... cukes, cantaloupe, salad greens (they're bolting now though, darn) and peppers.

I don't want my tomatoes to die!
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Help! I have never had trouble with tomatoes in the past, but I have three plants of five that keep wilting on me! They perk right up in the morning (mostly) and I've been watering the heck out of them so I don't have an idea what is going on. I've had wilting in the past but they are fine after watering... so I don't understand what's happening to these guys. They are fruiting right now. Everything else in the garden is fine... cukes, cantaloupe, salad greens (they're bolting now though, darn) and peppers.

I don't want my tomatoes to die!
    I am no expert ... but it does sound like for some reason the water is not getting to the roots or going deep enough. I don't know where you are located but I am presuming it gets hot during the day, ... tyhe plants wilt, ... and then you water in the morning but not quite enough?

I don't know how much water and how often watering is required as it depends on the soil. Perhaps you could call a local university and ask ... or look online..

Mohandas Gandhi

I forgot to mention ... my Yucca plant finally bloomed again.

I had to move it 4 years ago to the other side of the yard and didn't know if it would ever bloom again .... and it did!
    beerbelly likes this.

Mohandas Gandhi

Spockwort, do a search for "tomato plant wilt". I just did and found that there are a lot of reasons. Both over and under watering can be the cause, but so can quite a few other things. Good Luck!
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

+ Reply to Thread