+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I had my 1st morning glory bloom this morning. Usually mine don't start blooming until late July.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

The biggest thing I saw in my garden this weekend, is my cucmber plants are flowering. Can salads, pickles and relishes be far behind?

This morning I picked, yellow squash, 2 zucchini, green beans, 1 green pepper, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers. Guess what's for dinner!
    waywyrd likes this.

I am not sure where to post this ... but I wanted to share and since a garden is involved ...

Yesterday I went out to the area at the side of the house where I have strawberries growing ... and yes there are a few left.

It is a narrow area and a little overgrown. The strawberries are on one side and some roses and then hostas on the shadier side and some peonies toward the front where they get some sun.

It is still a little bit of a struggle for me because I may have mentioned that I fractured a femur last year and I am still recovering.

So when leaving. I paused holding on at the front of the area between some phlox and the peonies. I started hearing an unfamiliar sound ... and then felt something on my leg, coming from behind. It almost felt like a a kitty ... but the sound was not a meow!

I looked down, and saw something and my mind raced through the gamut of possibilities and I froze and yelled "Oh my Gosh!
    My eyes finally registered on feathers and I thought goose ... and was afraid because I know they bite.

Now remember ... I still can't quite run and on fast reactive movement ... my balance still stinks!

I look at the feathered critter and she turns and looks up at me ... and it's a duck. She looks at me and the looks down as also coming out between my feet ... is a duckling ... who is soon followed by a half-dozen more. I just had to stay frozen because I was worried I would step on the still downy babies! Mommy duck kept going with the family following. I guess she figured I was harmless.

My friend says my critter encounters are my angels. My SO says the critters are the dogs toys come to life

I have never, ever had an experience quite like this and it just made my day. I can't write it in a way that conveys the awe, joy and the humor involved in this experience.

The best news is ... I didn't fall and the duck/ducklings didn't get hurt ... so I guess all my ducks were in order.
    Last edited by echo226; 07-03-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Aww, too cute! I would love to have ducks wander through my yard. Better than the raggedy old raccoons that creep around at night, stealing peaches.

I did have a gorgeous hummingbird buzz me as I was tending to a flowerbed...he just came down and hovered right in front of my face for about 15 seconds, staring at me. What beautiful creatures.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Oh my echo226! I was able to visualize your story and it had me laughing and thinking how sweet. Do you think she is nesting in your garden or just passing through? I love chance encounters with nature. I'm so glad you didn't fall and injure yourself.

I was on a sales call for an hour and planted 3 jasmine plants!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

My tomatoes are ripe for the picking and I have already harvested my onions and radishes I planted. My blackberries are ripening and I got about a quart today. I went to the berry farm the other day and got blueberries and made jelly out of it.

We have a mama and 2 baby deer in our pasture. They are living in the brush in the back and I am sure they are enjoying the newly mowed pasture with all the grass clippings. This is the second year in a row we have had a mama deer that had twins.
    beerbelly likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I love these posts! Blackberrys, deer, ducklings!

Ok, I am a very novice plant person. I live in NYC and the last wildlife I have had on my terrace was a dead bluejay. (I had one of the doormen remove it) There are no trees I can see from my terrace - only buildings. I have a Southern Exposure and it gets really, really hot on my terrace.

I have started planting and now I am obsessed! It is wonderful to see something green and growing in my concrete little world. Right now I have Jasmine and a Forsythia growing. The forsythia is getting brown leaves - which I have cut off (during sales calls) and just planted the jasmine (love the smell!)

What plants would you recommend that can do sun and snow? And any other tips I would so appreciate!

Thanks gardeners!
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Tomatoes love heat and sun, as do most veggies. For flowers, why not sunflowers? On my south facing deck I grow hibiscus in pots. They can't survive a cold winter but can be overwintered indoors. I keep mine several years by bring them in. Once they get too big I toss them and buy new. I bought a new one this year for $15 and it has been in constant bloom. Yesterday it had 12 giant yellow blooms. Gorgeous!

The only downside to a south facing garden is the need for frequent watering. When it is very hot and dry plants sometime need to be watered twice a day if they are in containers.

Good luck!
    beerbelly likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

+ Reply to Thread