+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I too am jealous of the cherries and peaches ... and I am angry at that yellow squash mound-destroying mole too!
    I am waiting for the tomatoes!
    waywyrd likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

That is what is so fun about gardening, the anticipation of and enjoying the rewards of our hard work.
    I don't mind sharing the fruit with the birds and deer but they don't like to share with me. Gee, I was the one that planted it. It brings to mind the children's story, The Little Red Hen.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 06-24-2013 at 12:44 PM.

inthegarden - I wanted to suggest for your next batch - Cherry vanilla ice cream. I made some once with fresh cherries and it was outstanding. I just used a basic vanilla custard and then added the chopped cherries. It was a treat to eat!
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

I have never yet won battle against the wildlife. Many years ago I had a cherry tree. In 10 years I got exactly one cherry. Every year, just before they were ripe enough to pick the birds came and took a single bite out of each cherry. I tried nets, shiney stuff (like Christmas tinsel and aluminum pie plates) and rubber snakes. Nothng worked, so I finally gave up.

Then, there was the tomato fiasco. My plants were beautiful and I had a huge ripe tomato that I had my eye on for a lunch time BLT. My tomato plants were in a bed that was enclosed with fencing (that plastic fencing you see at construction sites) I ran to the store to get some bacon and and came home to discover a groundhog that had gotten UNDER the fencing. He was munching on my big red timato. Before he started on that one, he had taken a bite out of all the ones that weren't quite ripe yet.

Now, I grow tomatoes and peppers in containers on my deck. I still have to fence in the tomatoes because the squirrels like them. They will pick one, take a bite or 2 and leave the rest on the deck rail.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I had gotten a cherry tree and a willow tree while I still lived with my parents but we kept my sister's destructive dog for a few weeks while she moved to a new house and he ate both trees, every bit of them--leaves, branches, trunk. I was so ticked off and my sister didn't even offer to replace my trees!
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7: TBA

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    inthegarden - I wanted to suggest for your next batch - Cherry vanilla ice cream. I made some once with fresh cherries and it was outstanding. I just used a basic vanilla custard and then added the chopped cherries. It was a treat to eat!
    Oh yum...That's a great idea. Thanks!

That sounds insanely good.
    I used to have a cherry tree, but lost it in a wind storm.
    I've never tried to grow roses, but got some yellow climbing roses for a new arch in my garden and they are spectacular!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    Now, I grow tomatoes and peppers in containers on my deck. I still have to fence in the tomatoes because the squirrels like them. They will pick one, take a bite or 2 and leave the rest on the deck rail.
    I had mockingbirds "tasting" every tomato as it got ripe last year - this year I started putting cheap knee-high pantyhose over each tomato as it started to turn color. It won't hurt the fruit. Yeah, it looks silly, but nobody has been munching tomatoes but me this year.
    Cootie and Photobabe like this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I had mockingbirds "tasting" every tomato as it got ripe last year - this year I started putting cheap knee-high pantyhose over each tomato as it started to turn color. It won't hurt the fruit. Yeah, it looks silly, but nobody has been munching tomatoes but me this year.
    Now that is an interesting idea!

I cut knee highs and pantyhose into long strips and use them to tie up peonies ... and also run them between stakes to help support those raspberries!
    waywyrd likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

My lavender is thisclose to blooming. I can't wait!
    Ellen and Cootie like this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

+ Reply to Thread