+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I picked a bunch of ripe red strawberries today! Yum!

I am now waiting for the raspberries which are just loaded with flowers and some not yet ripe fruit.

I've only seen a few bumblebees but quite a few of those little tiny bees. Enough to pollinate, I guess!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

< My green envy but smiling face for echo226 who is eating fresh strawberries and future raspberries.
    I discovered how much I loved raspberries last summer. I planted 4 very small raspberry plants in late winter. They are growing so maybe next year I'll have my own raspberries. My blueberry bushes are full of green berries. I'm hoping the deer will share a few with me.

Somebody gave me a small, struggling mother plant a couple of years ago. I know nothing about it, or caring for raspberries except that it is double bloomer. It has now gone crazy and thinks it owns the property.

The strawberries are a similar story. A couple of plants that We bought on sale and ended up just putting on the other of the house at the end of the season have come back gangbusters ... and are also trying to share with my next door neighbor!

The house is still fragrant from the last of the peonies. The old ones that were my Grandmas, I brought from our former home, and they are now happy and healthy here. They are extremely fragrant and one of my friends says it's because they are heirloom and not like the newer ones.

I also have a rose bush/vine that I brought and everyone said wouldn't make it ... and it is gorgeous this year ... with little care.

I realize I am very lucky, but nature has had more to do with it than I.
    Punkin and inthegarden like this.

Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Newbie

I love gardening
    Punkin likes this.

Me too.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Somebody gave me a small, struggling mother plant a couple of years ago. I know nothing about it, or caring for raspberries except that it is double bloomer. It has now gone crazy and thinks it owns the property.

The strawberries are a similar story. A couple of plants that We bought on sale and ended up just putting on the other of the house at the end of the season have come back gangbusters ... and are also trying to share with my next door neighbor!
    How very, very lucky you are!!! Do you make jam? On the off chance that you don't, I can tell you it is easy to do. All you really need is a case of pint canning jars and a package of Pectin. The recipes for all kinds of fruit jams or jellies are in the box. I love making jams in the Summer! I watch the Safeway and Lucky ads carefully because once during the season they will sell raspberries at 10 for $10 and I'll buy a case r two. My grandkids, friends and neighbors love them. (We can only eat so much ourselves and are happy to share them.) My favorite recipe is for Triple Berry Jam: 2 1/2 cups crushed strawberries, 1 1/2 cup crushed raspberries, 1 cup crushed blackberries, 7 cups sugar and one package of Pectin. In July we drive down the coast 20 miles to Phipps Ranch where you can pick your own Olallieberries (they are 2/3 blackberry and 1/3 red raspberry. Yum!). Wow! I'm getting excited at the thought of it!! Believe it or not, but DH actually likes doing it with me - the pickin' and the jammin'!

7 Cups of sugar? Yikes!

No I have never tried canning anything. I am just afraid I'll do it wrong and poison us all!

I usually freeze raspberries in smallish batches to use with cereal and desserts in the cold winter.

I have also cooked them down and then frozen the sauce to put on ice cream!( Now I am getting excited.)

Mohandas Gandhi

I picked about 2 cups of cherries from my cherry trees this week. They are young trees so I was happy to pick that many. Not enough for a pie so I baked a rustic pie. It was yummy!

I love gardening too. I love to walk around the garden early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Watering, weeding, looking for new blooms, listening to the birds, my water fountain and spending quiet time with my cats and pups. So peaceful.
    Cootie likes this.

Cherries! I'm jealous. I would love to have a cherry tree or two, I can eat them by the pound. I do have a peach tree but I end up sharing half of those with the deer. Not by choice, either.

Picked my first ripe tomatoes yesterday (yum) and I'm buried in zucchini. A stupid mole tore through the yellow squash mound so I'll have to replant those. Grr.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

You guys are so lucky to be getting stuff out of your gardens already! I have just planted tomatoes peppers beans and cucmbers in the past 2 weeks up here outside of Toronto. It will be weeks before I can get anything!

+ Reply to Thread