+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I finally got everything into my moon garden for now and 10 bulbs I ordered from Amazon came in the mail... beautiful double white lilies with green tinges radiating out. I'm sitting by my big picture window looking out over the garden trying to think where I can fit 10 more bulbs in. I think I'll move some bunches of early spikey foliage I was hoping were crocuses from a former owner and there will be room there. If they are, in fact, crocuses, they can find a new home on the border of my perennial garden. They are some sort of bulb.
    I got my cobalt blue gazing pool set in yesterday with dark blue and purple jump-ups in a semi-circle about 8 inches behind it. I'm going to put in those intense, blue annuals (lobelia?) around it when the time comes. I'm about to go out and dig up an area adjacent to it for some black/maroon gladiolas - 40 bulbs! That will make a statement. I also have some dahlia bulbs called "electric flash" that I couldn't resist... orange with yellow centers. I can't decide if I want them near the blue for contrast or somewhere else entirely. I'll have to think about that one.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 04-18-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Punkin likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I would love to start something here but it's been cold and rainy.
    We moved into this rental house in Nov. There is no garden area and the owners put wood chips anywhere that might have worked for one and I'm not sure I want to put in the time and energy to clear the areas up. I'm interested in the garden in a pallet set up I've seen online but I may just limit myself to container planting.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Nothing wrong with container planting - just make sure you keep up with the watering. Maybe put half a baby diaper in the bottom of each pot to help absorb/release moisture as needed. It's harder to commit to the time and money if it's not your house.
    I don't think I could be happier than I have been this week of vacation just gardening all day, every day.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Moisture Control potting soil works well in containers.

I love this time of year, its great for working in the garden. It seems as though I always have a gardening project of some type either in the works or formulating in my mind. Last year, I added a sitting area that is surrounded by a perennial bed and a walkway that goes from the sitting area to my tiny greenhouse. I built it from the remainder of an old dry stacked stone wall that I was given. Over the years, I've use it to build dry stacked retaining walls and raised planting beds. When I laid out my design, my eyes were bigger than the muscles in my back and knees and it took me all spring and summer to finish it. I dug out the grass and soil by hand, used limestone sand, a coarse gravel sand, for the base, laid my rock down and swept the limestone sand over top to fill in the cracks. Watered it down and then layered more sand until it was tight. There is enough limestone powder in the sand to form a tight bond when it dries.
    This spring, I'm renovating the perennial bed that is adjacent to the sitting area. I let green liriope take over in one of the beds, and I've been digging it out to make room for other plants. My cats and dogs have been great supervisor's. The dogs attack any plant or dirt clump that is tossed in the trash pile. The cats lay around on different perches looking down to see if I've dug up anything that interest them... No...yawn...stretch turn around and lay back down....snoozing.
    My next project is a cut flower border. I cut the strip out last year and have been adding compost to help build up the soil. I hope to be able to grow flowers from seed this year. I had sunflowers in the bed last year. I left the sunflower seed heads for the birds and they ate until the seeds were gone. This year I'm going to add Zinnas, more Sunflowers, Bachelor Buttons, Holly hocks and Cosmos.
    My least favorite gardening chore is the vegetable garden...I like the fresh vegetables but it so time consuming. The ground is still too cool to plant so I've got some time to enjoy my flowers.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 04-21-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp View Post
    I would love to start something here but it's been cold and rainy.
    We moved into this rental house in Nov. There is no garden area and the owners put wood chips anywhere that might have worked for one and I'm not sure I want to put in the time and energy to clear the areas up. I'm interested in the garden in a pallet set up I've seen online but I may just limit myself to container planting.
    All I do it container gardening. It's amazing how much you can do in containers if you have the right climate! Although it's much too hot here to do lettuce in the summer, maybe it's milder where you are. My brother does it IN the potting soil bag. You just buy one of those big, flat bags of soil and then cut the "top" off it it - I mean lay it flat on the ground and cut all the way around the top edges so it's like a big, rectangular planter. Then you just plant the lettuce seeds. You get a nice, big planter that way, without paying a lot of money.

I have a friend who has great success planting in those big plastic tubs with the rope handles. I don't think they're very expensive at Home Depot. I don't have room for them, but if you've got more space, I'd go for it. You just have to drill holes in the bottom for drainage.

Since it gets SO hot here in the summer - 100's for days on end and I can only do containers along the front of my house where the sun hits for a good part of the day - I finally gave up on other crops. I'm sticking with tomatoes and herbs. I did two each of sage and rosemary in oval planters last summer and one each died over the winter. I replaced those and also planted thyme and basil. Some of last summer's mint survived, so it's getting bigger.....until, I'm sure, whatever bugs love it come and eat it what they missed last summer.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It's a good thing I held off on my herb garden. Temp dropped to the low 30's over the weekend and last night!!!!!! It's unbelievable. Here in the south, (NC) it's not supposed to be that cold at this time of year. lol

Yay! Just picked a couple of yellow crookneck squash, my first "summer" veggies of the year. The Celebrity is loaded up with little golf ball sized tomatoes, and the Cherokee Purple has a few little ones going. That plant has been so slow to set. Tiny little string beans are coming out, and the zucchini is threatening to bury me shortly.

The only plants that hate me so far this year are the cucumbers and my cilantro. Both are straggly/stunted. I assumed the late cold snap bothered them, but other plants weren't affected. Who knows...
    Critical likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    It's a good thing I held off on my herb garden. Temp dropped to the low 30's over the weekend and last night!!!!!! It's unbelievable. Here in the south, (NC) it's not supposed to be that cold at this time of year. lol
    Here too. I am not sure where in the US it is supposed to be that cold. I have SIL in Asheville .. I'll have to call and make sure she is not frozen!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Yay! Just picked a couple of yellow crookneck squash, my first "summer" veggies of the year. The Celebrity is loaded up with little golf ball sized tomatoes, and the Cherokee Purple has a few little ones going. That plant has been so slow to set. Tiny little string beans are coming out, and the zucchini is threatening to bury me shortly.

The only plants that hate me so far this year are the cucumbers and my cilantro. Both are straggly/stunted. I assumed the late cold snap bothered them, but other plants weren't affected. Who knows...
    Congrats! Nothing like the first meal of the season with veggies you planted yourself.

You beat me to the harvest! My tomatoes are still green, but I've got some on all four plants, so I should be harvesting lots in about a month.

My patio tomato plant got so tall that I had to stake it this morning. The last time I did them, the plant got a foot, maybe 18 inches tall, so I didn't cage this one. When I went out today, it was starting to lean, but is way too thick to get a tomato cage around.

I've never had good luck with cilantro. It goes to flower WAY too quickly. Plus, I think it's just too hot here in the summer time for anything like that - it's sort of in the same category as salad greens. They fry in the heat here, no matter what I do. The last time I tried cukes, I got ONE.....or rather, I got a half. It got fat on one end, but not on the other end. It looked like one of those long balloons with only half of the air in it!

I'm envious that you have squash. I planted squash a few years ago and got beautiful squash blossoms, but no squash. I think I must have gotten all female plants and there weren't any male plants to fertilize them. Very disappointing. I was sure I'd be swimming in squash based on all of the flowers and then nothing If I'd known that was going to happen, I would have just made stuffed squash blossoms instead!
    waywyrd likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Lucky You! The first fresh vegetables are always so good.
    Due to cold snaps and an overabundance of rain, we finally planted our garden last week. Later than normal, but so far all the seeds have sprouted. I had to plant some of the tomatoes in trenches and laying on their side. Even with all the pinching back and replanting in larger pots they got leggy. There are small tomatoes so I'm hopeful.
    Today I planted two zucchini seeds. Mr. ITG asked "Only two?" I had to remind him of how prolific they are.

+ Reply to Thread