+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

You guys are impiring me to to get my herb garden going. It's been pretty warm here. I think it's safe to go ahead.

Last year, I had the best basil. I LOVED it. I used basil almost everyday. This year, I've decided to add mint, dill, and one or two more. I'm not sure which ones to go for. It looks like sage may be a good one. I've never used it fresh before.

I like mint and dill - they come back - mint will spread so be careful, and dill reseeds itself if you don't harvest it all. But basil is definitely worth getting as an annual every year. Try a few different kinds for variety. I used to have a big, huge planter I kept on a sunny deck that I planted every summer with cherry tomatoes, basil, and lettuce.
    Count your blessings!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Most of my backyard is pool, perennial gardens, and patio so I'm going to give "square foot gardening" a shot this summer. I'm starting small, so it will mainly be cukes, tomatoes, peppers, and maybe some scallions or something. The location is picked, but after the storm, it's too wet to work. I can hardly wait to get started though!

I may also see if I can get a space big enough to get a zucchini plant in. I want to make a "omelette mix": chopped onions, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes and mushrooms. Chop it, freeze it in bags, and have it all winter to make delicious omelettes in the morning, quick!

Hey, about mint... I've seen it planted in pots sunk into the ground (just up to the rim) as a way to keep it from spreading through the garden.
    remember to play

Last year I planted in an old wheelbarrow that no longer worked. It was off the ground and easy for harvestiong and larger than most store bought planters. I don't think it'll be large enough for what I intend to do this year. I will have to divide things up.

I like to plant thyme, both regular and lemon in pots. There is a variegated leaf lemon thyme but I've had better luck with the green leaf lemon thyme.

Gutmutter your garden sounds lovely. Can you grow Moonflower vine in your area? It resembles a morning glory vine in growth habit. It has large white fragrant blooms which open at dusk and stay open until morning.

I'm going to try! I have several packs of seeds but it's too early to plant them. I may try starting them in a mini greenhouse I have.
    I saw a picture on Pinterest of a cobalt blue gazing pool. I had seen huge 2-part ceramic bird baths at a local discount store, and I have a big metal bowl that I think was once part of a grill that I want to fill with sand and put some fire balls in, but needed a stand. So I got one and will sink the bowl into the garden and use the stand for the fire bowl.
    Count your blessings!

I WISH I could plant dill here. Our summers are just too hot. Doesn't matter what I do, the poor stuff fries.

I found sage at the big indie nursery here - it was literally the first thing on the table when I walked up to the herbs. I also got some thyme because I cook with it so much. I've got a little more planting left to do and then all I have to is water, fertilize and wait!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Last year I planted my basil in partial shade and feared it would be too shady, but it was perfect. I couldn't have asked for anything better. My basil lasted so long. When it got a little stringy, I pruned it down and came back great at the end of the season. Anyone know if that is okay for all herbs or do some need something different. (more sun or not)

My moon garden is really coming along, but I need to stop now and leave some room for annuals and bushes. I'm going to switch gears this afternoon and sink my blue gazing bowl/bird bath into the perennial garden and plant some crazy glads and dahlia bulbs I got around it. Oh my goodness, I love gardening sooooooo much!
    Cootie likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread