+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

It's been in the high 70's/low 80's for the past little while, so I headed off to the nursery for tomatoes and some summer herbs. I only planned on getting two tomato plants, but of course, I ended up with FOUR. I got a grape tomato, a cherry, Patios and a new variety from Heinz and really, I caved on that one because of the packaging. They come in a bright red planter (with the Heinz logo like on the bottle) with a built-in cage. It was just too cute. For now, I'll keep them in that planter.

I planted my tomatoes WAY too late last summer, so I didn't want that to happen again.

I also got more rosemary and some sweet basil. I love cooking with sage all year round, but I have such a hard time finding it. I'm going to have to go to the big nursery in town to get it. Only one of the two plants I started last summer made if through the winter, so I need to replace the one that died. I'll probably end up buying some more herbs in the next few weeks, but this is a good start!
    Ellen likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    ... I love cooking with sage all year round, but I have such a hard time finding it. I'm going to have to go to the big nursery in town to get it. Only one of the two plants I started last summer made if through the winter, so I need to replace the one that died. I'll probably end up buying some more herbs in the next few weeks, but this is a good start!
    We've had good luck in finding sage plants at Trader Joe's year 'round (San Diego).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I was just there today and they had lots of herbs, but no sage. There's a nursery here in town where you can pretty much find ANYTHING, so I'll head over there to see if they have any.....and I'll probably find lots of other things I "need" too!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was just there today and they had lots of herbs, but no sage. There's a nursery here in town where you can pretty much find ANYTHING, so I'll head over there to see if they have any.....and I'll probably find lots of other things I "need" too!
    Maybe it's a regional thing?
    Anyway, good luck at the nursery!
    Those places are dangerous for me, as I discover so many things I ... ummm ... "need," too!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Maybe it's a regional thing?
    Anyway, good luck at the nursery!
    Those places are dangerous for me, as I discover so many things I ... ummm ... "need," too!
    I don't know. I've had trouble previous years as well, but I have found it. I did pineapple sage a few years ago because I love it, but so did the bugs. It was just decimated in a few days. Really disappointing.

This nursery I'm going to is a very dangerous place. They have so many things that I can't find anywhere else AND their prices are great. I would have gone there today only I had frozen food in the car. Home Depot was on the way and I could just run in and out. Depot had tons of strawberry plants, but I restrained myself. If the bugs like the mint and pineapple sage, I'm sure they'd LOVE the berries.

When you can't find a common herb like sage, it could be a problem with the spring planting at the growers such as a pest, blight or other disease. Sage is susceptible to powdery mildew. When you do find it, check it over closely... bottom and top of the leaves, stem, and soil. The disease may be in early stages and was missed during inspection before shipment.

I'm putting in a moon garden behind my house (all white flowers and silver foliage to reflect the moon). It's at the edge of the woods so once the trees leaf out, it won't get a lot of sun. I cleared the debris and found some old crocuses that spread when they couldn't flower, some iris, but mostly I've put in spring bulbs, lily of the valley, hostas, and white sweet peas... still a little early to do much, but I'm very excited about it. I got a garden Buddha that is very peaceful. He's on my birdfeeder platform at the moment until I'm ready to place him. I have a picture window that faces out over that area and a meadow that is part swamp, sometimes a pond. There are ducks on it right now and a flock of turkeys that roam around. One day my male Bengal cat scattered the turkeys, squawking like big chickens, into the trees. What awkward birds... not too accustomed to flying.
    Cootie likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    When you can't find a common herb like sage, it could be a problem with the spring planting at the growers such as a pest, blight or other disease. Sage is susceptible to powdery mildew. When you do find it, check it over closely... bottom and top of the leaves, stem, and soil. The disease may be in early stages and was missed during inspection before shipment.
    I don't think that's it, because I have trouble finding it every year, at least at Home Depot and the other chain stores with nurseries. The one I'm going to check tomorrow is a big local nursery that tends to have pretty much everything. I always find sage there, it's just a longer drive, so I keep trying at places closer to home first.

Gut - the moon garden sounds like it will be wonderful! I was going to tell you to take pictures, but that's the sort of thing you just can't capture on film.

I used to work in an office park backed up to wooded are where wild turkeys lived. It was always so jarring to see a bunch of little turkeys sitting in the trees. Those big toms are scary though. More than a few of my co-workers got trapped in their cars by a giant turkey spurring their tires!

I woke up to snow on the ground this morning & it's snowing now.
    I envy those of you with nice weather. I don't even consider above ground gardening 'till at least the middle of May. Even then we have to cover or enclose at night.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I can't plant annuals until Memorial Day weekend with any guarantees, but I can prepare trellises, uncover the perennial garden, start seeds indoors, plant spring bulbs, and clear ground for new plantings. Some things can be planted now like edible and sweet peas, pansies, and greens like kale and spinach (do cover those if it freezes). I put in a garden path with brown paper under, ocean beach rocks my daughter and I collected last year, and sand. I love working in the perennial garden to see what's coming back up, what spread where, etc. It all seems possible right now, but come late June, I lose interest with the heat and the bugs. Whatever is thriving by then gets my attention.
    Newfherder likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread