+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

***BUMP***

The first day of spring blew in with wind chill reading in the single digits here in NW Ohio, but it is time to start gardening!!!

I planted my tomato seeds yesterday and am plotting when to start some other seeds indoors. Last year was so warm that I had my lettuce and spinach seeds in the garden a week ago, but the ground is still frozen this year.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I started a garden board on Pinterest and have all kinds of ideas and projects I want to do. We have also had a long, hard winter that may give us another wallop on Monday, but there are still a lot of things I can do in the meantime cleaning up the detritus and making plans. I can't wait!
    Count your blessings!

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

I have my list of projects ready to start as soon as the weather warms up. We've had a few teaser days and I've been able to tackle a few items on the list. Blah! On all this cleanup and dreary skies, I am ready to see sunshine and flowers.
    Photobabe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I have my list of projects ready to start as soon as the weather warms up. We've had a few teaser days and I've been able to tackle a few items on the list. Blah! On all this cleanup and dreary skies, I am ready to see sunshine and flowers.
    I'd be happy if the snow would just melt & the ground would thaw. I still have my outdoor Christmas tree stake & timer stake stuck in the front yard. I tried Sunday to pull one of them up, but it won't even budge. The ground freezes & they are stuck there 'till late Spring.

Gardening isn't even on my radar yet.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

My daffodils and freesia are all abloom. The cherry tree is bursting with blossoms. And the rose bushes are starting to come alive. We don't believe in snow out here. :>)
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    We don't believe in snow out here. :>)
    We got our first snowfall in mid-October and there's been snow on the ground ever since! To read about everyone and their gardening makes me think I need to move to a warmer place... then I think about all the extra creepy crawlies that come with the heat and I think I'll keep the long winters

I planted my potatoes on St Patrick's Day, as usual. Fifteen pounds of seed potatoes went into the ground, same as last year. This year, I am seriously considering canning the crop instead of leaving a lot of it in the ground--I don't have a good place to store raw potatoes. I also put in a few asparagus plants since last summer probably did in those that I planted last year. Come warmer weather, I think that I'll give sweet corn another try.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I've always wanted to try potatoes. Maybe next year after I do some research..

Finally got the veggie garden planted! A rainbow of colored bell peppers, banana peppers, Cherokee Purple and Celebrity tomatoes, three different kinds of squash/zucchini (I will later regret planting that many), cucumbers and a couple varieties of string/wax beans. Already had broccoli going, they should be out of the way of the summer stuff soon.

Now if I can only keep the mockingbirds from eating all my tomatoes again this year, I'll be a happy gardener.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Potatoes are pretty straightforward, but they are labor intensive at planting and at harvest (and in between, too.) They are planted fairly deep, they need to be hilled a couple of times during the growing season, and they have to be dug up for harvest, but if you have a fairly loose soil, it isn't too bad. I started with a tight soil, but a couple of years of mixing in peat moss has done wonders.

The potatoes that I planted on March 17 have started to sprout--YAY!
    waywyrd and Cootie like this.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Geez, we still have snow on a portion of our garden.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread