+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Gardening

everyone. I'm still waiting for it to stop dropping down past freezing at night to start messing about in my flower beds. I cleaned them up but that's all.

nlmcp:I have a mountain ash that is beautiful with berries and the birds love it! Also a flowering plum that astounds me every spring with it's pink flowers. It does drop the little plums in the fall and needs to be cleaned up though. I used to have a honeysuckle but it succumbed to the winter one year. But it was really a cool climber! I'd like to try it once again. A Japanese weeping cherry tree is pretty different but I'm not sure how difficult to grow.

My tulips are about 8 inches high but no blooms. My pink peonies are poking through the dirt. Last year I sprinkled a couple of cans of flower seeds all over the beds, just to see what would come up. Well most of it became nothing. Do flower seeds become old? I also planted a lot of bulbs that were on sale, and NONE of them came up. Do bulbs get old too? They looked ok with little sprouts but were on sale.

Now this spring I have some little greeny things sprouting up and I don't know if they're weeds or remnants. I'll have to see I guess.

I going to try and plant some square mats of herbs: chives, marjoram, summer savory, parsley, thyme and sweet basil. I really hope something grows so I can use the herbs for cooking. I really have no space for veggies .

The problem is that Mr. Tootles has adopted that sunny corner of my little garden as his "perennial" resting spot.
    Last edited by misskitty; 04-30-2006 at 08:46 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    : I hope everything works out great for you... and let the Great Tomato Race be officially declared ON! (First one with ripe 'maters wins BLTs )
    You'll probably win! Our early ones usually become fried green tomatoes! Thanks for the tip on the oregano - I knew that mint should be planted in a pot or it would just take over everything but I had no clue that oregano would do that.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I don't know, doxie... I love the fried greenies too. And green tomato pickles, if I have time to do it. Actually, we should come out about even; aren't you near B'ham? I kin thow a rock an hit the state line on I20 from here, so I'm plum-nelly to yo house ! (Southernisms for Phat, who loves them so!)
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

After talking to my Aunt and my sister, I found my sundrops. OMG do those things spread fast. I may move them to my back corner of the garden where nothing seems to grow well and the weeds choke everything out. I went from 6 little sundrops to about 30 in one season.

My shasta daisies have come back, my lily's are doing good. I lost my coneflowers and my other little daisies whose name I can't recall.

I'll have to think about the tree, I was looking when we were at Lowes and will look at a few other places. There is a nice green house not far from here that I think has trees.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Just to correct myself - I think the one that grows a spiral trunk is called HARRY Lauder's Walking Stick.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing View Post
    I have a small enclosed deck, and one of my favorite things to plant each year is a container of flax. I just use the flax seed that I bought to eat, and cover the surface of the soil with the seeds. You can do this outside as soon as all danger of frost has passed.

The plants don't need to be thinned, and they grow extremely easily. Just keep them watered, in well drained soil. The soil doesn't even have to be good soil, flax isn't very picky and it does want to live.

I get beautiful blue flowers (I never bother to harvest either the seeds or the flax itself - I don't spin, nor do I play a bowed instrument , but the harvesting either for making one's own bows or for gathering seeds is pretty easy). My cat loves the plants (as she does with most plants), and it could not be any easier to get a bumper crop.
    Can you get the flax to keep blooming MissThing? I have always thought they were beautiful, but never planted them because I heard the flowers only last one day?

Quote Originally Posted by julitta View Post
    Can you get the flax to keep blooming MissThing? I have always thought they were beautiful, but never planted them because I heard the flowers only last one day?
    One great thing about flax is that you can really pack it in (although I think the flowers last a bit longer than a day, but not by much). The plants can grow literally one on top of the other, so you do get continuous blooms - no need to thin them, in other words.

For example, this year, I planted three tablespoons of seed in a 9x5 container. The seedlings are as dense as a lawn. When the flowers come, they will bloom at similar, but different times, so it's as if there are continuous blossoms.

I do have a larger container that I'll plant in another week or so. My cat (old MacChloe) just loves getting right in the container with these plants. And, I must say, eating them has done wonders for her digestive tract!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Thanks MissThing. I am going to give those a try then. I always had these visions of the flowers all opening on the same day, when i was not home, and then they die, and i never get to see the pretty blue flowers. LOL

Premium Member
    It's plant shopping time! I just bought red zonal geraniums and lobelia for my porch, and some herbs because I want to start a herb garden in my kitchen. I got rosemary, cilantro, Italian flat leaf parsley, sweet basil, chives and catnip (for the kitty).

Queen B - Gotta love the fried green 'maters - that's about the only Southern thing that Phat seems to enjoy other than me. He is the only person that I have ever met who hates okra!! How can anyone hate okra??? We're South of B'ham - down here in the 'burbs where the traffic is awful but the fences keep the dawgs in.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread