+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I guess it is almost time to put our summer gardens to bed and get ready for fall.
    I wanted to share a tip on mulch maintenance that I've learned through trial and error. If any of you use Pine Straw for mulching, you know this time of year it can be easily be covered by falling leaves. When it comes time for fall cleanup, instead of raking up the leaves with a leaf rake, use a soft bristle broom or straw broom, (the kind you use to sweep floors) to sweep the leaves off of the pine straw. The broom will sweep the leaves off without picking up your pine straw much. Then you can freshen up your mulch with more pine straw if you need to. Happy Gardening!
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

I'm a pretty random gardener on my second season with my new house. I have a large-ish flower garden out front. I plant perennials and then expand with annuals around the outside and filling in gaps. Then the next year I put perennials where the annuals were and keep expanding, etc. This time of year I try to "mark" where the perennials are so I don't accidentally dig them up in the spring. One easy way to do this is with aquarium gravel. You'd be surprised how often I find this stuff used at yard sales. It's pretty pricey new, but I figure used has the added benefit of a little fertilizer thrown in.
    Count your blessings!

Well, it looks like I'm going to run out of warm weather before my plants are ready. I have at least a dozen cherry tomatoes on the vine that would love about another week to 10 days of sun and a bell pepper plant with about 5 peppers on it. One, in particular, is really close to turning orange.

Anyone know if bell peppers are horrible if picked when they're green? These are orange bells. They didn't do so well this summer, but now all of a sudden the plant is bursting with peppers. I hate that this beautiful plant (and a gorgeous big tomato plant) will have to go into the dumpster soon
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Are you expecting a heavy frost or freeze in your area? If not, I would let them keep growing. If you are expecting a light frost, you can cover them with a sheet or Reemay. Be sure to remove the covering during the day.
    Usually when a pepper is ready to turn, the flesh is as thick as its going to get. It may not be as sweet as a yellow bell but it would be fine to pick and eat. Also, peppers and tomatoes will sometimes go dormant in extreme heat and start producing when the weather cools down. Which makes it even harder to throw out a good plant at the end of the season.

This was my first year gardening and I must say I am quite enjoying it I grew a monster tomato 'bush' in my planter and it didn't get much going on it until about the middle of August and then it went crazy! I picked a few as they got too big and were drooping to the ground, I didn't want them to start rotting or anything.

And then one night my back door wasn't closed properly and the wind must have blown it open, lucky (I suppose) only one of the fur babies was missing in the morning when we noticed it wide open. So I looked for her for 3 days straight, I was so worried I spent my entire evenings looking in everyone's yard with my flashlight until she finally came home. The first evening she was gone it started to snow and then it quickly turned into freezing cold weather and a blizzard. By the time she came home (on her own of course) the 60+ tomatoes that were still on the plant were completely rotted and mushy

We only ended up the 4 or so tomatoes I picked during the summer lol Phender owes me one heck of a tomato salad!

Tomatoes1.jpgTomatoes2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Are you expecting a heavy frost or freeze in your area? If not, I would let them keep growing. If you are expecting a light frost, you can cover them with a sheet or Reemay. Be sure to remove the covering during the day.
    Usually when a pepper is ready to turn, the flesh is as thick as its going to get. It may not be as sweet as a yellow bell but it would be fine to pick and eat. Also, peppers and tomatoes will sometimes go dormant in extreme heat and start producing when the weather cools down. Which makes it even harder to throw out a good plant at the end of the season.
    No frost for a while - I'm in California. It's just getting cooler and will be rainy for a while. I'm going to leave them in the hope that they'll ripen. A few of them already have. It eventually will get too cold and bleary and the plants will die. One of them has already given up the ghost and without giving me one darned tomato all summer!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I decided to try and plant a fall crop of leaf lettuce this year and believe it or not, I'm still harvesting it!!! I'm in Northwest Ohio, near Toledo, and we've had quite a few nights below freezing, some in the lower 20s. Most days it has warmed up to at least 40, but today it was only 37. It does something for my psyche to be still gardening the week before Thanksgiving!!! The side shoots on my broccoli are still producing too. I picked the final green tomatoes the day before we were supposed to get Sandy's fringes (October 29) and we're still eating those too!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

AH, to live somewhere where there was actually an entire season called "Fall." Maybe two weeks ago, I was using my air conditioning and now it's 61 (40's at night).

My little tomatoes are still plugging away! A few more have turned red, so I'm going to harvest those in a day or two. Still maybe 10 left, so I'm hopeful we'll have enough sun and no frost!

The peppers may not make it. One is big enough, but not turning color and the others are too small. Bummer. I'll just have to start earlier next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    AH, to live somewhere where there was actually an entire season called "Fall." Maybe two weeks ago, I was using my air conditioning and now it's 61 (40's at night).
    Ummm -- I know weather/season vocabulary is different here in California, but low-60s days with 40s nights *is* autumn/fall. Of course, in San Diego everyone is saying "Brrrrr.....freezing.....winter" and breaking out the polar fleece. (In my Wisconsin youth, these temps in November would be cause to break out the shorts and flip-flops.)
    I love this weather!

...Or were you talking about the recent need for A/C? In which case, yeah, the beastly hot part of summer went on way too long out here this year.
    Last edited by Ellen; 11-13-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

But when "winter" is only 10 degrees cooler, it's ALL Winter. There's NO transition either. One day it's 90 and the next it's 70 and then within a few weeks at most we're in the 50's or 60's. Spring lasts maybe a month around here if we're lucky. We go from cold and rainy to 90's in weeks.

Here, winter comes in like a sledgehammer. Air conditioner on Monday, furnace lit on Wednesday.

+ Reply to Thread