+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I do container gardening, too. If I put tomatoes in the ground the critters eat them.

I bought a fun new tripical plant this year for my deck., It's called a popcorn plant. It has spikey yellow flowers and smells like popcorn.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

My garden is going well despite a late start due to the weather. We have tomatoes, peppers, bonsai bok choi, beans, cucumbers, lettuce, sugar peas, broccoli, tomatillos, cilantro, spinach, kale, chard, leeks, onions, beets, basil and an assortment of flowers in raised beds. We have a tall fence around it so that the deer don't chomp it all down! We are harvesting the greens, peas & bok choi these days. The beans are getting close and we have a few tomatoes on our Sungold cherry tomato plant. Oh yes, and we harvested garlic last week.

Our garden is on a hill so this is a view from the top bed looking down:
    June 2012.jpg

Cootie - Your garden looks great!!

As for me, my garden looks awful!! We tried some different containers this year and they are not working at all for our beans and squash (a confession: this is what happens when my DH is put in charge of starting the planting - I just don't think he's good at it and overthinks things). We have some tomatoes and garlic in our regular beds which are ok but keeping everything going in the heat is awful. I just know when we go away for vacation in a couple weeks everything is going to die.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

I just found 5 tiny little bell peppers on my pepper plant when I went out to water this morning! This is my first time doing peppers. I know I have a ways to go before they're ready, but I was excited to see them. Lots of flowers on the plant as well. Hopefully, I'll be swimming in bell peppers soon!

The pests finally got to my spearmint I cut off the damaged bits, but did find a worm. It's not like I used it for anything, but it reminds me of my grandmother (she had a hedge of it), so I like having it around. The basil is looking a bit peaked, but the tarragon, sage and rosemary are going fine.

My Sweet n' Neat tomatoes are coming in, although they are still green. Flowers on the other 3 tomato plants, but no fruit yet. I'm having to water one of the plants twice a day now or it goes all limp. It's just SO hot!
    Cootie likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My garden keeps getting better. The weather here is mildly warm, cool at night and everything is growing fast! We now have green beans, broccoli is coming up and lots of peppers are growing. Zucchini too! I just harvested lots of English lavender and we have three kinds of mint, spearmint, peppermint and sweet orange mint. I am working on things to do with it, Critical. I have been bringing it to the very nice little bar down the street - they seem to be happy to have it. I don't know what they are doing with it, but will find out.
    inthegarden and Eastcoastmom like this.

I do put the mint in my tea from time to time, but I mainly just grow it because it reminds me of my grandmother I tried chocolate mint a few summers ago and it was like I rang the dinner bell. The bugs devoured in a matter of days.

I love pineapple sage in my tea and to season fish, but the bugs get that too, so I just gave up. I'm still growing regular sage and it seems to be less appetizing to the vermin, which is good because I cook with sage a lot. Maybe I should keep growing "decoy herbs" to keep the bugs from the stuff I really want!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I picked our first tomatoes a few days ago, just shy of ripe. We should be eating them this weekend. They are an early variety, Fourth of July, and a cherry tomato. The green beans have baby beans and we should be starting to pick them within the week. Our first round of leaf lettuce has pretty much gone to seed, but we enjoyed it for a month or so. The second planting is almost ready and we've had a few leaves from the first planting of spinach that the squirrels didn't get.

I've never had great success with lettuce or spinach so decided to plant it in a half barrel just off the deck where I could keep an eye on it daily. I knew that the squirrels and chipmunks liked to dig in the barrel, just for kicks, it seems, so I laid chicken wire across it to protect the seeds until they had sprouted and were up a little bit. Well, the spinach sprouts kept disappearing, but the lettuce was left alone. One day I saw a squirrel walk across the chicken wire, press his mouth down on top of a spinach sprout and pull up the entire thing. Who knew that squirrels liked spinach, but not lettuce? I added more chicken wire to make it a dome and am just keeping it on. It looks funny but is effective.

Also effective, is bird netting to keep out bunnies. The bunnies love eating my bean sprouts and for years I used a wire rabbit fence. It was getting really old and rusty and hard to use so I pitched it and didn't grow beans for a while. Money is tight so I didn't want to buy another fence. Then I read online that rabbits don't like bird netting. I had some of that so draped it over some old fence posts and the rabbits haven't bothered that bed at all!!!

Now if I could just find a cheap organic method to keep away the Japanese beetles and Mexican bean beetles that are sure to invade. Any suggestions are welcome!

My basil is doing nicely this year too. I grilled chicken with a basil rub that was delicious!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

My mom used to go through her garden and pick off the Japanese beetles by hand and toss them in a buck of water and kerosene.
    I went on vacation for almost 2 weeks and came back to a crispy garden. Now there's a water ban, so I've given up for this year. I use gray water for a few new bushes I planted.
    Count your blessings!

Chocolate mint, Pineapple sage, Bee balm all smell so good when you crush the leaves. Another favorite herb of mine is Lemon Thyme.

I'm impressed with all the wonderful gardens described above. I never got around to doing much this year, but it was probably a blessing. Our heat and lack of rain at times would have been horrible on them. We did plant some flower seeds that didn't do anything. (Too many days over or close to 100 degress, I think did many things in.)

One thing that I did plant and water a lot was my fresh Basil. OMG, it has turned out great! I can harvest from the plants every day or so and it's just delicious. I love Basil like no one you have ever seen! It was one of the best things I did this year! lol

+ Reply to Thread