+ Reply to Thread
Page 107 of 136 FirstFirst ... 757979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1353
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Gardening updates?

We doubled the size of our veggie garden this year, and it's finally taking off and growing well. Even the weeds seem to be healthier than ever. A while back, I read a post here on FoRT about the process of working through your troubles as you work in your garden. I'm trying that approach, and can't say that I now enjoy weeding, but I'm learning to appreciate the quiet therapy of it. (Given the number of weeds I've been facing, there's surely a message in there somewhere for me. ) We've picked a few zucchini and green beans, but most plants are several weeks out from harvesting. This year we're trying limas and pumpkins, along with corn, beans, purple-hull peas, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, watermelon and cantaloupe. We had a patch of dill, but hubby hoed it up not realizing it was there. I have some cilantro I may try sowing in it's place, along with hot peppers (planning for salsa).
    Okay, I'm rambling. Just wanted to bump this thread and hear how others are doing this year with gardening. So... how does your garden grow?

I haven't had much time, and I need a lot of it, but I got some veggies and flowers in my new place. A local garden club had a plant sale and put the huge amount of leftovers up against the post office with a pay-what-you-can jar. I made a donation and filled my car up twice and didn't put much of a dent in the leftovers. I don't even know what half of the flowering plants are or whether they're annual or perennial, but I've got bee balm, lavendar, petunias, coral bells, bronze fennel, daisies, goosenecks, bleeding hearts, and much, much more. I still have some in pots that I need to get in the ground soon, but tomorrow is the last day of school and it's been rainy, so it worked out ok. Over in the vegetable garden I have young rhubarb plants, peas, about 2 dozen tomatoes of different varieties, and some salad greens and zucchini. I put in a couple of concord grapes, but they're not doing well. I keep telling myself this is my first year, and I have plenty of time to develop it over the years. My gardening message must be: don't try to do too much at once. Just relax and let nature take its course.
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter, it sounds like you got mostly perennials except for the fennel. This year I go a surprise--the potatoes I thought had dies mid-season last year came back, and died back early agin; I dug and there are a zillion little golf ball taters and quite a few fist sized ones down under them. I planted a bunch of gourds and tomatoes also, didn't bother with squash as I have such an awful problem with squash bugs and vine borers here; I think I don't get quite enough sun or squash to be strong. I know gourds are actually related, but no critters chew on those plants very much for some reason.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I tried potatoes this year and have lovely growth but I have a question....when do you know it's time to pick them?

The plant dies back--and as I found out, the plant might not last all season, but dig anyway when it turns yellow and starts withering.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

We are doing our tiny garden again this year. Due to the rain and extended cold spring we apparently missed being able to get lettuce type plants and had the dickens of a time trying to find zucchini. My Dad planted tomatoes with my daughter from seeds so I don't even know what kind of tomatoes we're going to get. Decided to try yellow squash and cucumbers this year (I am tired of seeing cukes for $1.29 EACH at the store!!!) We finally put the bird netting around our blackberries also so I am hopeful to get a few of those this year too. We planted late due to the weather so I'm not really expecting to see anything for several more weeks.

famita - I wonder the same thing about potatoes!!!!!
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

I'm glad to hear that everyone is having a productive gardening season.
    The spring garden of lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes and peas is done. The summer garden is growing nicely.
    You are right coltnlasma, the weeds are very healthy this year. All that free therapy...

Glad I got the vegetables planted and the flower beds cleaned and mulched before my I broke my foot.
    It is not much fun limping/hopping around in a ortho boot wrapped in a garbage bag.

Gutmutter Check around your area for ads in which gardener's are wanting to divide their perennials later in the summer. Most will give you free plants if you are willing to dig (under their supervision) the plants yourself.

I drove by my old house today and they were having a yard sale. I pulled in and told them I had lived there before and have been wanting to ask if I could take a start from my grandmother's gooseberry bush that I brought here from Ohio 30 years ago. They were a young family and happy to let me so that. There wasn't a good dividing spot, so I took the tips of 3 of the canes that had rooted themselves. Cross your fingers. It was loaded with gooseberries and they didn't even know what they were. I told them how to tell when they were ripe and how to pick off the tip and the stem. I also showed them the huge stand of red raspberries I had started from a couple of starts from a friend years ago and are now a solid boarder along the woods. They hadn't seen those either, and were very excited. They had seen the grapes, but didn't really know what to do with them. I may have to write down my grandmother's recipe for grape pie and take it over another time.
    Count your blessings!

Just thought I would revive this thread. How is everyone's garden growing this year? After a nice spring, it has turned hot as blue blazes here. I've had to drag out the sprinklers and soaker hoses.
    The flowers were so pretty this spring and now they looked tired. I plan on cutting my daylilies down and letting them rest until cooler weather.
    Lowe's has been marking down all different types of plants. You never know what you will find and I've found some great deals. All that most of the plants need, is a good watering, a trim here and there and a nice dose of liquid fertilizer.

So far, I've been enjoying fresh lettuce, spinach, squash, cucumbers, green beans and fried green tomatoes. Hopefully, I'll have red tomatoes for the 4th of July. Waiting on the peas, butter and lima beans and corn.
    Due to our weather, the blue berries and peaches were ready two weeks early. For those of you who purchase fruits and vegetables from local orchards, farmers or farmers markets, you might want to check with them to see if theirs are early too. I would hate for you to miss out on your favorite fruits and vegetables.

Happy Gardening!
    cablejockey and Baby's Breath like this.

After a disastrous summer garden in 2010 - the temp just wasn't consistent and nothing grew - I took off last summer.

This year I have 4 varieties of tomatoes, some orange bell peppers and then some herbs - tarragon, basil, sage, spearmint and rosemary. So far, everything looks great! I had my first tiny green tomato show up this week. All of the tomato plants have flowers, so I should have tomatoes pretty soon! The only thing that could hamper things is the heat. I fully expect to be watering twice a day coming soon. That's one of the biggest drawbacks of container gardening - you can't skip a day of watering in this summer heat or everything will wither.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread