+ Reply to Thread
Page 106 of 135 FirstFirst ... 65696979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1342
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Yes, you can freeze them. I actually prefer them to bell peppers. I just wash, cut the top off, split and remove the seeds. Freeze them either whole or chopped up in a freezer bag. I like to stuff them with a rice, tomato and ground pork mixture.

Our summer garden has been gone for awhile, but we have planted our fall greens and turnips.

I know winter isn't over yet... I've been receiving my seed catalogs in the mail and online. I have a bad case of Spring fever. Until this nasty weather clears, I am enjoying planning my gardens and dreaming.
    Have any of you tried growing microgreens? They are a mix of different veggie seeds and can be grown indoors in flats or pots. You harvest them every 5-10 days, when they are about 1"-2" hgt. You can toss them in salads or use them in cooking. Packed with nutrients.

I was thinking about posting here today. The microgreens sound like a great idea. Our weather in Oregon has been sort of mild, but I know that it is not over yet (it being winter, of course!). My daffodils/narcissus are coming up and so are crocus. Can't wait to see them. They can usually withstand some freezing weather...I love seeing more daylight as well. The worst is over, I am hoping! Mr. C just laid new mulch over all our flower beds, they look great! And buds are starting to be visible on many of our flowering trees.

I've been getting seed catalogs too and I have major spring fever. But we have 7 inches of snow predicted for today and tonight so, gardening is still just a dream for me.

I haven't heard of microgreens before, but it sounds like something I'd love to try.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm getting spring fever-I want to get out and plant but won't be able to for a long, long time!

Bump.....I'm copying a post of SugarMama's from one of the food threads.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama;4178783;
    I absolultely LOVE to cook and create dishes what makes one think in the moment they taste it, "If, God forbid, I'm ever condemned, let this be my last meal!

Of course, I've yet to rise to that level of expectation But I'm always trying.

Question: Do you grow your own herbs? Outdoors or Indoors?

I have a small outdoor garden with perrenial thyme, oregano, and parsley (sometimes I have to replant the parsley if we have a hard winter). I grow basil like crazy all summer!

But I have absolutely NO LUCK in growing anything indoors. I've tried it all, and I don't know if I'm just messing it up or if some things are just meant to be enjoyed in their own time (kinda like us )

Anyone have any tips for growing fresh herbs indoors? That makes ALL the difference in cooking, and there's only one recipe I agree dried thyme works in (that Vegan Chili recipe I posted in the other thread).

I asked for, and my husband said he "might" consider making me, a small greenhouse...but that's so impractical, and such an unjustified expense for my own vanity! There's nowhere we can really install a "greenhouse window". Our house faces due east, the southern part is shaded, and the westerly side is shadowed by a hill (nice to keep up cool in summer, though).

So, in winter I wind up going to the grocery store, paying the price of a whole summer's crop for a little packet of some herb that will go bad in a week or so. And (eww) I don't know where it's been, unlike the stuff from my own garden.

Question: How do you handle your herbs? Do you have a successful garden layout you can share with storage tips, and/or growing indoor tips? I've read the books, but I must be missing something.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I can't really answer you about herbs. I just stick to what I can grow in the summer, or things like rosemary that winter fine.

We've only lived in this house two summers, but I've had two years of optimistically planting a few varieties of peppers only to barely eek out a three or four peppers per plant all summer. I guess it's just not sunny enough for peppers in my yard. I haven't decided what to grow this year yet. It's been spring-like for at least three weeks with no frosts at night, and I am wondering if I can get away with some early stuff.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I can't wait to garden!!!! I've suscribed to two gardening magazines. I have no idea what is already here, but have several distinct areas that can be "landscaped" on my property. I don't really have a handy outdoor sitting area like I did at my last house. I'll just have to wait and see where I naturally gravitate to.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I can't wait to garden!!!! I've suscribed to two gardening magazines. I have no idea what is already here, but have several distinct areas that can be "landscaped" on my property. I don't really have a handy outdoor sitting area like I did at my last house. I'll just have to wait and see where I naturally gravitate to.
    I think you are smart to wait in planning your garden. If you follow paths of desire, you will have nice sitting areas and walkways that blend in with your native plants. You can enhance those areas and have a beautiful natural landscape. I hope you have plenty of native wildflowers and spring blooming trees and shrubs. The discovery of a new landscape can be great for the soul.

I planted a small pot of pansies by my back door. They have such cheerful flowers. They look like little happy faces.
    I love snapdragons too. If you pick an individual flower off of a spike, squeeze it at the base, it opens up and looks like a dragon face.
    I showed my son how to do that when he was a little fellow. He would squeeze the bloom and let out a roarrrrrr!

My grandmother taught us how to do that, too. I always made them talk like puppets to my kids. Here in Mass. there is a little yellow weed that grows in the cracks of sidewalks that must be a relative, because you can do that with them, too.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread