+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 134 FirstFirst ... 5559596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1340
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I'm zone 5, but I'm thinking that if they're the kind of plant that reseeds itself and it's sending out seeds now, then now would be a good time to sow them. I have them in individual envelopes, so I can keep them until spring.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4005411;
    I'm zone 5, but I'm thinking that if they're the kind of plant that reseeds itself and it's sending out seeds now, then now would be a good time to sow them. I have them in individual envelopes, so I can keep them until spring.
    Gut, I would wait until spring to plant them. Keep them in the envelopes, in a cool dark place. I have a special metal canister that I keep all my seeds in, it makes it easier for me to find them.

We had a very cool spring and most of my plants that made it through a bad freeze have been slowly coming along. My vegetable garden is finally starting to produce more than lettuce and snow peas! They are about done as it is getting pretty warm, but I have been shading my lettuce to keep it going.

I just harvested some Blue Lake green beans, cucumbers, zucchini and see some lemon cucumbers coming soon. Our tomatoes are very late and so are our peppers, but Mr. C planted almost 40 pepper plants, so it will be a hot time here, soon! Most are sweet peppers and I love those, but I have been learning how to work with the spicy ones. We also have basil which is finally looking great. Our beets are almost ready and we have harvested onions and garlic. I just planted chard seeds as I have heard in my area they will probably be fine into the next few months. We'll see.

I love this time of year, we don't want to leave home as the eating is so good here.
    Last edited by Cootie; 07-27-2010 at 05:23 PM.

I had picked the peas, peppers, orka and started picking green beans. The green beans are growing up teepees with a wire that runs through the top and connects each teepee, all of my dogs and cats are in the garden 'helping' (actually running through the rows and pouncing at one another)
    I had already picked down one side of the beans and had started up the other, I reach to pick a bean and I hear a plop, look to the right and I see a tail that had fallen down, followed by two little beady black eyes and a fork tongue smelling of me....SNAKE... I just eased back and decided I had enough green beans picked.
    It was just a non-poisionous garden snake, that was trying to hunt for insects, I'm sure the pets had run it up the vine, but still it stopped my bean picking for the day.

^Awww, too cute about the animals in the garden (well, except for that snake). Last summer we had a neighbor's dog who adopted us for a while, and he would always go out to the the garden with me - like a little helper.

My happy surprise in the garden this year has been seeing successful cantaloupe and sugar baby watermelon plants. Last year our melons were a disaster. And lately some of the purple hull peas I've picked have been speckled (every so often a pod is full of them)... it's a little thing, but I think it looks cool.

Oh nice about the melons! I've always wanted to try a melon or cantaloupe but I'm glad I didn't this year. We just haven't gotten much sun.

Snake on the beanstalk, shudder. Who knew gardening would have its adrenalin moments?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I know I'm out of season here ... but my question is about strawbwrries! My SO bought little strawberry plants and excitedly planted them in large regular pots ... not strawberry pots. We elevated the pots on some bins in a sunny spot on the patio. We had a small June "harvest" ... and again recently the plants flowered abundantly and had a very hearty crop of strawberries coming along. Unfortunately, this AM we found that some critter ... probably squirrels ... had found our little crop and ate the 5 or 6 that were ready for picking and some of the green berries too. I'm somewhat confused because I thought strawberries were a cool weather crop and so was surprised to see the re-bloom and all the flowers and berries in this very, very hot weather.

I have a couple of questions ...

There are still more flowers and some developing fruit left, so for now, what is the best way to protect what's remaining from the foraging critters Would screen or netting of some sort work or is there a better solution ?

The other thing is that I have no idea what to do with them over winter here in Zone 5 Chicagoland. Can I put the containers in an unheated garage with almost no natural light? Should I put them in the basement by a window? I am really lost and these are our first strawberry experience ... and my SO is very excited so I really don't want to abandon them and get new ones next year. Thanks in advance for any help ,advice or strawberry experiences you can share.

And by the way, with all your wonderful vegetable harvests I'v just read about here, I am now hungry !
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

echo226 The strawberries that you planted are the Everbearing variety and they will usually produce fruit a few times until frost.
    As far as wintering them over, if you have a place outside, bury the pots to the rim and then mulch with straw. The cold shouldn't hurt them, and you do want them to be dormant in the winter. The burying and mulching will keep the roots from freezing and heaving out of the soil.

Well, I think my zucchini is about done. We had some strong t-storms here over the past couple weeks and the high winds blew my plant over and several parts got broken. However, I thought I'd share this link in case any one has some zukes they don't know what to do with.
    The Versatile Veggie: 20 Zucchini Recipes

When I was tidying up my garden today I discovered a whole bunch of sweet banana peppers that had turned red, but were still firm. Do they get sweeter when they turn red, like bell peppers do? Can I freeze them?

My neighbor tried tomatillos for the first time this year and I think they overplanted. The plants are heavy with fruit and they are all over the ground. I wish they'd offer some to me.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread