+ Reply to Thread
Page 103 of 134 FirstFirst ... 35393949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1340
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3950488;
    I have a question about basil. How should I start harvesting it?
    This should work:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3950488;
    I have a question about basil. How should I start harvesting it?
    If the plant flowers, try to pinch them off quick because once a basil plant flowers it will stop making leaves. For harvesting, I just pinch off a dozen when I want them. I don't harvest all at once.

Edit: Whoops, came in to say I was away for a week and my housesitter (read: teenage nephew) didn't harvest anything from the garden like I asked, so I ended up with a couple of ludicrously huge zucchinis and squashes. It is amazing what one week can do. I think I have over 100 tomatoes fruiting but not a single one looks close to red yet. We need sun, not this lukewarm weather.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I am so excited to come back in here and report that we harvested our first zucchini this morning and have about 4 others starting. It's funny that initially the plant had flowers that just dropped and did nothing and now the flowers don't drop off but make the veggies. I was able to find and use the All purpose Miracle Gro fertilizer and I think it helped.

Also, after a week of below average temps, lo and behold, the bell pepper plant has several new flowers on it. We will see what happens now that the temps are going up again.

Congrats on the zucchini, Mia! I'm sort of having the same problem, so I guess I'll be buying some fertilizer!

My cucumber plant is doing well, but I'm going to have a problem soon. It's in a Topsy Turvy and is getting pretty long - it's a few feet from the ground now and is about to "grab onto" my rose bushes. I wonder if I should run some string between the posts on the front porch and trail the vines onto that. Any thoughts? My concern is that, if it ends up getting into the rose bushes, the gardeners might cut something I don't want them to cut. The plant is flowering like crazy and I think I'll be getting cukes any time now and considering how the gardeners hack up my rose bushes, I'd hate to see what they'd "accidentally" do to my cukes. The gardeners are paid by my landlord and only take care of the plants that were here before me. Plus, they're here when I'm at work, so I can't monitor them.

In good news, I have a bell pepper! Three actually, although one of them is really looking like a bell pepper. I was worried because the plant was flowering, but I wasn't getting any peppers. My cherry tomatoes are finally looking good and some of them are ripening. The plant is SO tall now and flowering all over the place. In about a month, I'll be swimming in little yellow cherry tomatoes!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Congrats to both of you. With zucchini, I remember reading that they have both male and female flowers on the same plant and your flowers will drop off if they don't get pollinated. (I may have even read it here.) You need those bees or you can rub pollen from the flowers at the bottom of the plant onto the flowers at the top. Don't take that as gospel, I just remember reading that and thinking ugh, I don't want to do that.

I have been getting flowers on my pepper plants all along but no fruit. Meanwhile, I have crazy amounts of tomatoes waiting to ripen. All my plants got super tall this year, which I've heard can mean less fruit - well not this time, every time I check I have dozens more fruit, all green. Eventually we will be swimming in them. Not really what I'd planned. I wanted lots of peppers, a couple varieties of tomatoes. Slugs got a few of my pepper plants.

That's a pretty minor complaint, though. I am getting full loads of green beans now and more zucchini and crook neck squash than we can eat. If I don't watch those zucchinis they get too big in about a day!

Critical, that's a good idea to redirect them away. You don't want to direct them toward a black metal railing because they'd fry in your hot sun, but stringing them is good.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3966698;
    Congrats to both of you. With zucchini, I remember reading that they have both male and female flowers on the same plant and your flowers will drop off if they don't get pollinated. (I may have even read it here.) You need those bees or you can rub pollen from the flowers at the bottom of the plant onto the flowers at the top. Don't take that as gospel, I just remember reading that and thinking ugh, I don't want to do that.
    Yeah, I can't say I'd want to do that either! My brother said I should fertilize so, based on that and Mia's success, I'm going to try fertilizing first!

Critical, that's a good idea to redirect them away. You don't want to direct them toward a black metal railing because they'd fry in your hot sun, but stringing them is good.
    My "porch" is actually a concrete slab - about 3 feet deep - that runs across the entire front of my house, so I don't have any railing, just four posts that hold up the overhang. In front of that is a planter about 2 feet deep. The posts are painted metal, so I'll still need to keep the cukes away from them, but no black, metal railing. I know I have string around here somewhere, but I'm darned if I can remember where!

I heard that about tall tomato plants too and was about to trim my cherry tomato plant back, but then it sprouted a big bunch of flowers, so I just left it. It's the tallest tomato plant I've ever had, although the Roma in the Topsy Turvy would probably compete with that. It's all over the place! I just hope I get a bunch of fruit from it. At this point, there are just a few little, green Romas. My third tomato plant is looking good, but no fruit yet.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3966698;

I
    They do have to have makle and female flowers, but it doesn't have to be on the same plant, and either sex can be at any location on the plant. All squash plants bear both flowers. Generally, the first few flowers are male and just fall off, and there are no female ones anyway until ther second bunch of blooms come along; those will be some male and some female. How do you tell? The one with the little squash is female (the fruit is analagous to an ovary, where the seeds/eggs are formed) and the one with nothing there is male. Pollen had to come from the male flower stamens (the fussy looking parts on long hairs surrounding the center of the flower) and end up on the carpal of the female flower (the bigger part sticking up in the center) In general, bees or other insects will get the pollinating done, as long as you do not spray while the blooms are open. Do the spraying mid-day when the flowers are closed, and then flying insects like bees won't be poisoned, just the bad guys eating the rest of the plant.
    Now you know more about squash sex than you really wanted to know!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Well queenb, I am certainly glad you provided some additional information on how the flowers are produced because like hepcat inferred, I wasn't really envisioning helping my plants "get it on" when we decided to grow some veggies!!
    If I don't watch those zucchinis they get too big in about a day!
    That's jsut what happened to us! I swear on Sat or Sun, my hubby and I were inspecting our garden and the zucchini were smallish - maybe 3 inches and thin. I go out on Monday and WHAM! one of them is 7 inches and fat!! We just stood there and stared at it disbelievingly!.

The tomato variety we have is called "Patio" and it's interesting because the plant itself is much more compact and dense than a traditional tomato plant. It grows lots of tomatoes but they are on the smallish side so you can use one per day in your salads or what have you without having to keep leftovers.

I have an in ground garden for the first time this year, and we were away for a four day weekend. We had someone come over and water for us (thank HEAVENS because it was 100 degrees). Well, when we left, I had one cucumber on the brink of being ready, one that was maybe close. Now I have about six that are ready to be picked and a few more that aren't far behind!

I also had one tiny tomato when I left. Now I have a bunch, and as I told my parents last night, it's a good thing they turn red because otherwise I don't think I'd have a fighting chance of finding them all otherwise.

And I finally have a couple baby peppers. I'd been getting worried, but I guess they just take awhile.

Congradulations Everyone!
    I've been freezing squash, tomatoes and bell peppers. Waiting on the green beans, corn, okra and hoping the deer will leave me some peas

+ Reply to Thread