+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2529293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1353
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

FORT Newbie

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3928210;
    Thanks, queenb. They went a little crazy today and twisted all up together. I agree, 6' is already above my head as it is! Here's a picture, but the perspective is all strange. That wire across is in the neighbor's yard 30' away at least.

]
    nice garden!

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2;3945776;
    Hi everyone!

My DH and I are gardening noobs and this year have a small raised bed with a few veggie plants. We have already gotten a few tomatoes and have been harvesting the lettuce (chard) as it grows. But we have a couple questions and I was hoping some of you experts could help us out. First question is in regard to a green bell pepper plant. It looks good and has 1 pepper on it but growth on that pepper seems to have stalled and no other flowers for more peppers are appearing. Should we be concerned? Do we need to "do something"? Second question is with a zucchini plant. The plant is very healthly looking and has grown fairly large and produced lots of flowers. However, there is no zucchini. The flowers just bloom and then fall off. I am not sure what we should be looking for in terms of plant health/productive growth.

Thanks - any input on what we are doing wrong or what we could do to better our potential harvest would be most appreciated!!
    I am in no way a gardening expert, but I used to have similar problems when I didn't prepare the soil properly, or feed the plants. Plant food is particularly important in a raised bed as it is really easy for nutrients to leach out. You can try feeding them, but if it's too late for this year, this fall you should mix in a good load of manure or triple mix into the soil, and then some more again in the spring, and then do it every spring before you plant.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Our first garden and we were so proud of the huge cucumber plants. They even have tons of little ummm zucchini looking things on them. But that couldn't possibly be.. Unfortunately the uneasy feeling I had about these beautiful plants wouldn't go away..so I googled a picture of a cucumber plant. (we love them, even thinking about putting up pickles lol) However looks like this summer we'll be be eating zucchini.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MiaT2 Has your weather changed? hotter, cold snap or lack of water or too much water ?
    Any climate or water change can effect your plants reproduction and slow it down or stall it for awhile. You can't do to much about the heat/cold, but you can make sure you give it a good soaking once a week. If the color of the plants has paled, you might want to give it a little liquid fertilizer either before or after a rain. Sometimes newly planted plants will drop the flowers or veggies that were on them when you bought them, they go through an adjustment period but will bud back out later.

livin There are alot of really good Zucchini recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2;3945776;
    Hi everyone!

My DH and I are gardening noobs and this year have a small raised bed with a few veggie plants. We have already gotten a few tomatoes and have been harvesting the lettuce (chard) as it grows. But we have a couple questions and I was hoping some of you experts could help us out. First question is in regard to a green bell pepper plant. It looks good and has 1 pepper on it but growth on that pepper seems to have stalled and no other flowers for more peppers are appearing. Should we be concerned? Do we need to "do something"? Second question is with a zucchini plant. The plant is very healthly looking and has grown fairly large and produced lots of flowers. However, there is no zucchini. The flowers just bloom and then fall off. I am not sure what we should be looking for in terms of plant health/productive growth.

Thanks - any input on what we are doing wrong or what we could do to better our potential harvest would be most appreciated!!
    Not sure about the zucchini, but peppers are fussy about the temperature or they won't set. The first summer I ever grew peppers it was really hot, even at night, for a long stretch and they didn't start setting until the night time temperatures cooled down some.

Okay, I just googled it and came up with:

Q. Why do my pepper plants often bloom but fail to set fruit?

A. Peppers, like tomatoes, are sensitive to temperature. Most peppers will drop their blooms when daytime temperatures get much above 90 degrees F. in combination with night temperatures above 75 degrees F. They will also drop their blooms in the early spring if temperatures remain cool for extended periods. Hot peppers, such as jalapenos, withstand hot weather fairly well and can often produce fruit through the summer in most areas. Optimum temperatures fall between 70 degrees and 80 degrees F. for bell-type peppers and between 70 degrees and 85 degrees F. for hot varieties.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Thanks so much for all your comments!

Rattus - Thanks for the tip about the soil and the raised bed issue. We just made it this year so the soil is fresh but I am thinking you probably have an excellent point about the nutrients leaching out easier/faster due to the raised bed.

inthegarden - it has gotten quite hot here lately. My husband has been trying to water the plants every morning while it's still cool and the plot is in the shade. Can you recommend any specific fertilizer?

veejer - That is very interesting about pepper's temperature preferences. We are definitely in a hot spell right now that is unusual for our area. The bell pepper plant hasn't even made any new flowers lately and the one pepper that started is not ripening or growing any further. I will be sure to watch the plant and see how it changes in response to temperature changes. Maybe if I just keep watering it, it will stay alive and improve later in the season.

livin4reality - my favorite thing to do with zucchini is cut it in half lengthwise, make a paste of herbs de provence and olive oil and smear it on the open part and then grill it on the grill (a George Foreman grill is also good for this). It's soooooo good. If mine ever get to growing, I also plan to try frying it like french fries.

MiaT2 I like to use either Miracle-Gro for Tomatoes and Vegetables 18-18-21 or Miracle-Gro all purpose 24-8-16. If it hasn't rained, I like to dampen the soil first with water and then fertilize. I mix mine in a 2 gal. watering can and water the base of the plant first and then pour it over the foliage. First thing in the morning is a good time to water, it won't burn the leaves. I fertilize about every 7 to 10 days when they are first planted and then about every two weeks after that.

suppose I better get out there and fertilize since I haven't done it since PLANTING this stuff..lol
    Last edited by livin4reality; 06-25-2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

^Thanks for the suggestions inthegarden! I will look for those this weekend.

I have a question about basil. How should I start harvesting it?
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread