+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 134 FirstFirst ... 51919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1340
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I've had a couple of zucchinis already, and I have tons of crook-neck squashes on the vine. Critical, I planted 2 cucumbers way back in April and they sat there, stubbornly staying the same size until yesterday when I finally saw a vine tendril. I knew they weren't dead but I don't expect much out of them.

My green beans went up my 6' teepee poles and they are about a foot above them looking for more pole. Should I do anything or will they figure it out soon?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Hep, they will soon start dangling from their own weight;if you want to you could add a bmboo stake or something, but theywill be ok as is most likely. I don't like the poles to be any higher than I can reach, personally. All I need is to break my neck standing on a stool to pick beans!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Thanks, queenb. They went a little crazy today and twisted all up together. I agree, 6' is already above my head as it is! Here's a picture, but the perspective is all strange. That wire across is in the neighbor's yard 30' away at least.

You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Hepcat, those are some nice healthy bean vines. If you have more than one teepee you can take another pole and lay on top to connect the teepees or run a top wire between them and the beans will run across.
    We are sticking one variety of beans today, using 1/2" schedule 40 plastic PVC pipe (gray electrical PVC). We've also planted another variety of beans in our corn. This works great if you don't have alot of space and want both beans and corn. Plant the corn and when the corn is about 1' tall, plant your beans at the base of the corn. The beans climb right up the corn stalks.

I dug up my first potatoes of the season--just one plant to see how things are coming along under ground. I boiled them up with just a little salt--too tasty for words!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I've got to go out and make some bean teepees, but not in 95 degrees and 85 humidity, yuck.
    Newf, I don't know what happened to my other post, so I'll ask again. Is there anything special I should be doing to potatoes? I've never grown them before. Someone told me to keep piling wheat straw around them as they grew until the piles got about a foot and a half tall, with the plants poking out. I've done that--anything else? And do I put more straw on, ever?

I guess one of my posts got lost in the server move.

My toms and peppers are blooming and I can see teeny, tiny sweet banana peppers. My basil is doing wonderful as is my parsley. We've eaten lettuce and spinach.

I'm in Zone 5 by the way, up in NW Ohio.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3930036;
    I've got to go out and make some bean teepees, but not in 95 degrees and 85 humidity, yuck.
    Newf, I don't know what happened to my other post, so I'll ask again. Is there anything special I should be doing to potatoes? I've never grown them before. Someone told me to keep piling wheat straw around them as they grew until the piles got about a foot and a half tall, with the plants poking out. I've done that--anything else? And do I put more straw on, ever?
    Piling straw around the base of the plants is a variation of hilling, a necessary process to ensure that the developing potatoes aren't exposed to sunlight, which leads to toxic green skins. It also reduces competition from weeds. I generally pile dirt, but straw has advantages--much lighter to move, and makes for an easier harvest. On the other hand, a good Kansas wind can put that straw up in Nebraska in a blink of one's eye. I generally only hill once or twice a season.

Other than that, 'taters are about idiot-proof. Keep them watered, but don't drown them. New potatoes can be harvested when the plants flower; final harvest is when the plants die back.

The hardest part is to not eat the whole harvest right away
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Thanks, Newf--I guess I just have to watch them grow now! I used the straw because I most of my yard is hard, red, rocky clay, so I like to 'save' my good dirt that I've added compost and things to!

Hi everyone!

My DH and I are gardening noobs and this year have a small raised bed with a few veggie plants. We have already gotten a few tomatoes and have been harvesting the lettuce (chard) as it grows. But we have a couple questions and I was hoping some of you experts could help us out. First question is in regard to a green bell pepper plant. It looks good and has 1 pepper on it but growth on that pepper seems to have stalled and no other flowers for more peppers are appearing. Should we be concerned? Do we need to "do something"? Second question is with a zucchini plant. The plant is very healthly looking and has grown fairly large and produced lots of flowers. However, there is no zucchini. The flowers just bloom and then fall off. I am not sure what we should be looking for in terms of plant health/productive growth.

Thanks - any input on what we are doing wrong or what we could do to better our potential harvest would be most appreciated!!

+ Reply to Thread