+ Reply to Thread
Page 100 of 134 FirstFirst ... 5090919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1331
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Critical! congrats on the pint size lettuce! It will be huge in no time!

Since I didn't take anyone suggestions in splitting my hostas, because I'm afraid to kill them, I now have another question.

They are huge right now, and still have plenty of growing to do yet. Would it be ok to snip off bottom branches to keep them from overtaking the plants on either side of them?

Yum, baby lettuce. That makes the best salads!

GuardianAngel, I don't think you'd hurt the hostas by snipping some leaves. I was pretty brutal when I split mine and they're enormous this year. That, and lantana, are two plants I can't seem to do any damage to.

I finally got to eat my first crookneck squash from the garden - delicious! - still waiting on tomatoes and green beans. The bell peppers are almost ready to pick, and there are about 2000 baby cucumbers out there that I have no idea what to do with. I only planted about 10 vines and they are loaded. Can you make decent pickles out of slicing cucumbers?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

That's a lot of cukes! Are they at least the burpless kind? I don't think you can pickle slicing cucumbers, but I could be wrong. I think the water content and the thickness of the skin make a difference. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can tell you for sure.

None of my stuff is ready to pick, but things are looking good. I have two flowers on one of the tomato plants and the lettuce is coming up! My crookneck squash is getting HUGE! I can't believe I bought it as a tiny plant just two weeks ago.

The herbs are pretty much good for harvesting any time. If I need sage, I'm good to go! It's just growing like crazy. I've never done tarragon before, but it's doing really well too. As long as no beasties come along and ruin the party, my garden is going to have a good summer!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3917424;
    there are about 2000 baby cucumbers out there that I have no idea what to do with. I only planted about 10 vines and they are loaded. Can you make decent pickles out of slicing cucumbers?
    TEN cucumber vines...yeah, get the pickling jars ready! Any cucumbers are fine for pickling, and remember: make my picles teeny weeny!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3917634;
    TEN cucumber vines...yeah, get the pickling jars ready! Any cucumbers are fine for pickling, and remember: make my picles teeny weeny!
    So what's the difference between a pickling cucumber and a slicing one? Is it size? I don't know anything about this - obviously!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Yeah, I overplanted a bit. I love the baby pickles! I didn't think you could pickle the slicing type very well, but I'll have to try it out. I won't be lacking in cucumbers either way.

Squash plants get huge fast, don't they Crit? If I can keep the damn squash vine borers off them, they'll take over half the garden.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Geez, my garden is barely up. It's only been planted for a few weeks, but then, I'm MUCH farther north than you guys. It's been so dry here I've been watering every day and I'm sick of it. My garden looks good, but we need rain.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3917651;
    So what's the difference between a pickling cucumber and a slicing one? Is it size? I don't know anything about this - obviously!
    Yes, you pick the cucumbers according to what size pickles you want, but I I've never seen pickles as big as you would let them get to slice. I don't even think I really want to!
    As you have probably noticed, veggies come in many named varieties; some varieties of cukes may tend to be a bit crunchier or something so they could be considerd better for pickling by some people, but they are all very close to the same and there would not be a huge difference--think of the difference in two varieties of yellow squash--very little.

Strangely enough, I love pickles, but can't stand raw cucumbers, or anything they have touched.. And if the pickles have too much cucumber flavor, I can't handle it.

Speaking of pickles, I have a million green tomatoes already, on just the one I started early; I should make somne green tomato pickles, because I love, love, love them. Maybe after finals, even though I aim to get busy painting inside the house so I can start redecorating.
    Last edited by queenb; 05-28-2010 at 11:31 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Thanks queenb!

Unfortunately, I think my poor little cucumber plant got damaged in the planting - it went into the topsy turvy and I had a bit of trouble getting it positioned in there. There were two plants and one of them is looking awfully droopy. How long should I give it before I just dump it and get a new plant? They cost 98 cents, so it's not that big of a deal to get a new one.

I LOVE cucumbers! I buy several at the farmers market and then snack on them all week long. I ate a whole one yesterday because it was so good - crunchy and not bitter at all. Way, If I lived anywhere near you, I'd be over at your place getting some cukes!

Now that summer is here, I'm vowing to force myself out of bed early every weekend to go to the farmers market. The Sunday market is my favorite, but Saturday is good too. For $15, I can get fruit and veggies for the week. Once my veggies start coming in, I can spend even less!

My first teeny tomatoes popped out yesterday! I love that moment! Because they came on the cherry tomato plant, I should be able to eat them soon.

My new cucumber plant is doing really well and the squash plant is ginormous. I can't believe it started out as this tiny little seedling. I also have the first flower on my bell pepper plant. Everything is looking good!

+ Reply to Thread