+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Decorating for Dummies

Decorating for Dummies

Help! This is the window in my daughter's bedroom. I can't figure out what to do with it. I really don't want to spend the money to have something custom made and can't sew much more than a button. That top window has to be covered with something because it faces east and my daughter is awake yelling, "It's morning" the minute the sun comes through that window. Do they make a rod that would curve around the top of it? I'm hoping that some of you will have some creative ideas.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I'm clueless at how to help with your window problem, but I feel your pain. For some reason, little kids are bright-eyed and bushy-tailed as soon as this first ray of sun shines on them.

Completely off subject, my daughter had that same talking stove until she got her Dora stove.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Nice window!

Have you checked out any of your neighbours houses assuming that they have the same kind of windows?
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Most decorating and/or home improvment stores should either sell or be able to hook you upo with an outlet that does sell inexpensive coverings for palladium windows.
    You can get inexpensive, paper, concertina shades in whatever size to fit most windows.
    This type of shade would look good with your existing blinds and you could always jazz it up with some side panels in a pretty fabric.

Another option is window film.
    Most large home improvment stores should carry it.
    You can get a variety of patterns and colours or could just go for a simple frosted film which will block out a lot of light.
    Both option would be static, but you can open your existing blind for light obviously.
    Window film.

Belfastgirl, it's a brand new house in a new neighborhood. Most of the houses are still under construction so no help there. The model home has a curved rod with a valance on top. But I've searched everywhere and can't find anything like it.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    arch top shade.jpg

You might want to try something like this -- it's an arch top shade miniblind thingy. You can go to any blind web site (American Blinds, blinds.com, etc) and find them. I've seen them at Home Depot too.

These windows are so beautiful, but I know they can pose some problems from a practical sense. I believe 3-Day Blinds and/or Hunter Douglas carry blinds for these arched windows. Your daughter's room is adorable, btw.

This sounds like a curtain that doesn't require much sewing, that uses a flexible curtain rod you can bend. I think the instructions sound like it wouldn't be too difficult, and I'm guessing it's probably the cheapest solution for you, unless the window film mentioned above is inexpensive.

http://www.hutchal.clara.net/curtain...st-curtain.htm

Here is an arched blind:

http://www.yourblinds.com/images/ove...R_Overview.jpg

And here's a fancy adjust-a-view type of shade, but is probably pretty expensive.

http://www.adjustaview.com/Web-page-half-circle.jpg
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

lildago: You've gotten expert advice here, but I just had to say, your thread title is adorable! I hope to be asking for help in here, too!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I like that top one, roseskid, but I'm not very confident in my ability to make it! If I can find someone to make it for me though, it would work with the sheer lavender panels I have for the bottom.

If you want to be cheap and save some money, cut 1 or 2 pieces of thick cardboard to fit and cover with a cheap sheet fanned over the cardboard and 2 face taped in place.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast