+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Decorating for Dummies

MRD

Re: Decorating for Dummies

Gorgeous color Rattus.
    We have a deep cranberry living/dining room. I love the new deep reds. We have white glass trip and it looks really nice.

Cantgetenuff, I had to laugh, we had a neighbor once that painted his house this kind of florescent green and we used to laugh that it glowed in the dark. I swear it was the same color green as glow in the dark stuff. It was hideous, but not nearly as bad as the purple house. I don't mean purple trim either. I mean PURPLE as in Barney the dinosaur purple with darker purple trim.
    I love color and I really like the "painted lady" houses where they use a lot of color. But some colors are better than others.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I like that yellow, too, Rattus. My mom painted her living room yellow, but it's a brighter, easter egg type of yellow that I just think is too overpowering. Yours seems to be toned down a bit. Very cool.

Deeper colors of any shade, but particularly warm browns, are "in" at the moment, CantGetNuf. I painted my living room a medium, blue-based tan called Cup of Cocoa from Behr.. found at Home Depot. My dining room is a deeper brick color. The color swatch at that link isn't a good representation as it's really a warm brown color... exactly like looking at powdered cocoa.

Also a deep gold would be pretty. Not metallic.. just a deeper shade of Rattus' yellow.

You could also make the place look more decorative by just painting stripes. My friend has painted several of her rooms with the technique of using flat paint for the base color and then using satin of the same shade to paint stripes. It's a really subtle look that turns out very pretty. Just a thought.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2768935;
    Would you mind telling me what brand of paint sells the Ginger Whip? One of the family members mentioned painting the room yellow to brighten it up but if it was left to me to pick out which yellow the poor guy would probably end up with a glow in the dark room.
    The brand is Pratt & Lambert. I just went to their website and did a search, but couldn't find it. But then, I couldn't seem to find any colour - their site confuses me. I have to say though, that every shade of golden/yellow in my house is named for a food (Pumpkin Chiffon, Candy Apple, the aforementioned Ginger Whip), so maybe just going a food-name route would work. Anyway, a Pratt & Lambert dealer, even if they don't carry that shade anymore, should be able to pick out a close enough match.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Premium Member

I love the color of my living room. It's called Lyndhurst Mushroom - it's kind of a taupe-green color. I found the color chip at Lowe's but I took it to Walmart and had them mix the paint because it was a lot less expensive.

Nice Marleybone. I wish I could paint in my apartment. There are so many things I would love to do.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2768836;
    I don't know if this would be a choice you'd like, but my studio is painted a colour called Ginger Whip, which is a sort of golden yellowish sort of colour (hard to describe and not quite as dark as seen in the photo), and accents are primarily shades of deeper gold and sage green, with white painted glossy trim.

Rattus, my bedroom is that color and I love it. I can't take credit for it, it was like that when we bought the house, but its so bright and cheerful and makes the room feel warm and friendly.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;1818919;
    I did it!!! I used the panels I had. They're dark lavender with little shimmers of pink throughout. The top is beaded with pink "jewels" (as my daughter calls them) although it's a little hard to see. I bought some sparkly pink tulle and bunched it up at the hooks with a rubber band. It's hard to tell in the pic but the empty space at the top is filled in with tulle and I may add more to block out more light if necessary. My daughter loves it! She says it looks like the decorations the bluebirds used on Cinderella's dress. I think I'm on a roll now! She has a small window in her closet (see pic below) that I'm going to try to do the same thing on.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the great suggestions! Big, big thanks to Igotalife for the idea and little tips through PM!

lildago that looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2769270;
    Deeper colors of any shade, but particularly warm browns, are "in" at the moment, CantGetNuf. I painted my living room a medium, blue-based tan called Cup of Cocoa from Behr.. found at Home Depot. My dining room is a deeper brick color. The color swatch at that link isn't a good representation as it's really a warm brown color... exactly like looking at powdered cocoa.
    Broadway, just wanted to thank you for that link to your paint sample. Hubby and I are about to buy and move into a new house within the next 60 days and I'm gathering together some sources for decorating ideas I've formulated in my head. We'd been planning on a warm color such as a cocoa or warmer taupe brown for the great room and other rooms, so was planning to look online tonight for a site with paint color samples I might be able to find at a Home Depot or Lowe's... so you've gotten me started already. And I love that Cup of Cocoa shade.

Thanks, pal
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789