+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Decorating for Dummies

Re: Decorating for Dummies

They have aging kits for painting. My friend bought one for a table and it worked great. She said it was fairly easy.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Instead of painting in a 'serious' mode, what about doing something funky and more free-spirited? I admit it's not for everyone, but I paint all kinds of objects this way and find that I don't get so uptight about things looking perfect. Maybe your daughter could even get involved? Lil, keep in mind I have no problem if you nix this type of thing , but here are some examples. The doorbell thing was a boring (to me) brass piece I found at a garage sale and the switchplate is one of thousands I've done. Both of these items were done years ago, and by sealing with many coats of acrylic spray, they last forever.

Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

That's cool Roses!

That is cool, roses! One look at those pics and I know how my daughter will want it painted. She'll love that look! I think I will give her all the choices and let her decide.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I love the doorbell plate. It is adorable.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

MRD

Roses, those are GREAT.

Lil, also check the craft store for "rub ons". I did a wooden tray and used the ivy rub ons and everyone thinks I painted them. No, took a popsicle stick and rubbed it over the paper and viola, Ivy leaves on the tray. Much easier than the ones I did have to handpaint elsewhere.

But they have a ton of rub ons for various things and that might give you a different kind of look as well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I need help for work. Twice now I have lost a prospective resident because they said my facility looks to "institutional"! Nevermind that they're right. Our care is anything but institutional. But the sad fact is that it is an old building and it needs a new look. We're slowly working on fixing it up, putting laminate flooring in the hallways and doing the rooms as the budget allows. One thing I think the rooms really need are color. All of our walls and rooms are an off white color. The hallways have a very pretty border that keep them from looking to bad but the rooms are just white and plain.

So I said all that just to ask, what are the new popular colors in home decorating?

With respect to non-institutional type colours, I would avoid anything blue, green or grey - very depressing and reminiscent of hospitals and government buildings. I don't know if this would be a choice you'd like, but my studio is painted a colour called Ginger Whip, which is a sort of golden yellowish sort of colour (hard to describe and not quite as dark as seen in the photo), and accents are primarily shades of deeper gold and sage green, with white painted glossy trim. The colours work very nicely with the laminate flooring. I would also throw in some plants in attractive planters. Visitors to our home seem to like it enough to ask the name and brand of the paint.

3.jpg
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

That's cheerful, Rattus. I always like yellow walls, they seem to brighten up any room.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Would you mind telling me what brand of paint sells the Ginger Whip? One of the family members mentioned painting the room yellow to brighten it up but if it was left to me to pick out which yellow the poor guy would probably end up with a glow in the dark room.

+ Reply to Thread