+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Decorating for Dummies

I can not even begin to tell you how much money I've wasted because I've fallen in love with a colour - only to put it on the wall and have it not be 'right'
    My husband doesn't understand how it can happen. "You loved the colour on the chip, you loved the colour in the can .. but now you hate it on the wall??" *mystified look*

I still love the colour .. it's just not 'right'
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

IN JAIL, WONDERING WHERE MY KLONDIKE BAR IS!?...
    Thanks so much for the all the great ideas. No Uof M (silly of me not to realize that)! I'm a UofO Duck all the way!!!! (Too bad the vanity isnt green , haha.

I think Im going to take a look at one of those cocoa colors , I will let you all know (I do like blue and mocha together too)..
    I have the same problem duxxy, afterwards it's just not the right tone or something...
    Off the the paint store....
    "YOU BREATH THE SAME AIR THE BILLIONAIRES DO" Russell Simmons

"We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give." Winston Chruchill

Heh.... when deciding which brown to paint my living room, I ended up with four or five different splotches in different areas of the room as the tones were just "too yellow" or "too peach" or "too light" when they went up.

Samples are a Godsend!

and marybeth, your bathroom is gorgeously put together but, you're right, it'd never end up in my Spartan household!

Re: Decorating for Dummies

*bump*

I need some advice from you creative folks. This carousel horse was out by the curb with someone's trash yesterday morning. My 6 year old saw it and went nuts so I picked it up. All of the fabric that makes up the saddle and bridle have got to go. Also, the paint is peeling so I plan to strip it. Today I went to Hobby Lobby for ideas and supplies and couldn't really decide what to buy or what do with it. Anyone?

Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Nice horsey. What I would probably do if I had it would be to go online and look for pictures of old classic carousel horses and copy one of them (I steal all my ideas from the olden days).

ETA: I just went and had a quick look in Google Images and there are 25,000 carousel horse images posted.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Personally I like the aged look of it, but would take of the fabric.

But for your daughter, it would probably need to be painted. I'd google carosel horses and see if you get any pictures you both like. I think it would be an easy to paint item, just make sure you seal it good after repainting.

What a GREAT find. (I secretly love trash picking. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've been looking at pics too but can't decide what I like best. I'm also not sure if I can pull it off. Some of those look way beyond my level of expertise.

You could do a fairly simple paint job highlighting only the main and tail in a bronze colour. The body could be done using craqueleur (available at most hobby shops and very easy to use), using an off-white over a bronze base. Once you varnish the horse, then rub an antiquing glaze over it to give it an aged look, and then varnish again. This all sounds complex but is actually really quite fast and easy to do.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Are you going to make her room a carousel horse theme? If so here's some wallpaper, borders and stuff.
    Carousel Horse Mural Wallcoverings Collection

I hadn't considered it, Unk, but will let her take a look at that. She'd probably love it!

Rattus, that does sound rather complicated but I'd like an aged look. I'll ask someone at the craft store to point me in that direction and see if I can get a few pointers from them. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread