+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 88

Thread: Decorating for Dummies

  1. #51
    Premium Member DesertRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Reno hell
    Posts
    3,483
    This might belong in the recipe thread, but it's actually about cake decorating, so I'm putting it here.

    I want to bake a cake for my sister's baby shower party (she's having a girl). For some reason, I just can't find something that is not too hard to decorate, but looks killer...in a girlish way. Anybody has cake decorating skills or ideas?

  2. #52
    FORT Fogey lambikins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    This might belong in the recipe thread, but it's actually about cake decorating, so I'm putting it here.

    I want to bake a cake for my sister's baby shower party (she's having a girl). For some reason, I just can't find something that is not too hard to decorate, but looks killer...in a girlish way. Anybody has cake decorating skills or ideas?
    DesertRose or shall I call you today Dessert Rose, with your cake questions?!

    Take it to RECIPES and I'll answer you there. ~Lambi~
    Still crazy, after all these shears

    "lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

    "lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

  3. #53
    Premium Member DesertRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Reno hell
    Posts
    3,483
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    DesertRose or shall I call you today Dessert Rose, with your cake questions?!

    Take it to RECIPES and I'll answer you there. ~Lambi~
    Done

  4. #54
    OOOOOOO SPARKLEY mischief4911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    IN JAIL, WONDERING WHERE MY KLONDIKE BAR IS!?...
    Posts
    390
    Color advice needed...

    Everything in my new home is either purple (most of the walls downstairs, livingroom, dining area, kitchen + my bedroom) or Blue (carpets, countertops, tile). I have pretty much figured out the wall color choices for all the rooms except for my bathroom upstairs. The vanity top is dark blue I do not want to paint the room blue or white (it's white now), and I can't find a beige that I like. Older daughter says no pink, younger daughter says no green. I was thinking about maybe a really soft yellow?
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks for your input...
    "YOU BREATH THE SAME AIR THE BILLIONAIRES DO" Russell Simmons

    "We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give." Winston Chruchill

  5. #55
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963
    Quote Originally Posted by mischief4911 View Post
    Color advice needed...

    Everything in my new home is either purple (most of the walls downstairs, livingroom, dining area, kitchen + my bedroom) or Blue (carpets, countertops, tile). I have pretty much figured out the wall color choices for all the rooms except for my bathroom upstairs. The vanity top is dark blue I do not want to paint the room blue or white (it's white now), and I can't find a beige that I like. Older daughter says no pink, younger daughter says no green. I was thinking about maybe a really soft yellow?
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks for your input...
    I love tan and navy together.... try the color Cup of Cocoa from Behr (at Home Depot) to see if it's something that you think will work. It's a great blue/black based tan that would look good. If it's too dark for you, they'll show you what the next lighter equivalent is.

    How about a light grey/silver?

    You should try wandering through some of the bathroom areas at your different stores to find some accessories that you like that have navy in it... and then find your matching color in there.

    (a pale yellow would probably be very pretty. Unfortunately it screams Univ of Michigan to me so I have a natural aversion to that color combination. )

  6. #56
    An innocent bystander nlmcp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The mitten state
    Posts
    3,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    (a pale yellow would probably be very pretty. Unfortunately it screams Univ of Michigan to me so I have a natural aversion to that color combination. )
    I was thinking the same thing. The more we can do to save people from U of M color combinations the better.

    I'm trying to help my daughter match her rose pink carpet to a color wall. She is tired of the pink paint and it is shabby looking. But none of the blues we can find look very good.

    Guess we need to trudge to a different paint store and see what samples they have.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

  7. #57
    would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post

    (a pale yellow would probably be very pretty. Unfortunately it screams Univ of Michigan to me so I have a natural aversion to that color combination. )

    I guess you would hate my bathroom then......



    and I *swear* it has nothing to do with UofM - I have zero interest in them, just love the color combination. Of course, every time my husbands friends come over to watch football, they start singing the fight song.

    One of my favorite "beige" colors is Shaker Beige from the Benjamin Moore Collection. I also like Butte Rock. You can see them here: https://www.benjaminmoore-colorsampl...e/bmselitm.pgm

    Just roll your mouse over the color to see the name.

  8. #58
    She luvs me not?!?!?! Vonna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,730
    mischief

    If you want to paint your bath yellow, make sure it is a warm yellow. A butter cream.....but I think you're better off with an even more neutral paint like one of the expresso colors some others were suggesting

    ........I always buy a pint of the cheapest flat paint in the color I want and paint it on a huge piece of card board and put in up to the wall for a couple of days to see what it looks like all the different times of the day...... if I like it I go buy a gallon in the quality I want

    ...if it isn't dark enough I have them make it a couple of shades darker, etc.
    Last edited by Vonna; 09-12-2006 at 12:31 PM.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

  9. #59
    would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,910
    My bathroom is "butter" by Benjamin Moore. I really love it.

    Benjamin Moore sells small sample sizes in all of the colors listed on the website I put above - it's a great way to try out a couple of different samples. Each jar is $3.49 each. I always end up with a wall of a bunch of colors on it - it really helps to see the color on the wall.

  10. #60
    She luvs me not?!?!?! Vonna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,730
    It's never a waste of money to buy a sample of the paint or a test pint...

    The larger the area you paint for your test the better.....

    I was a designer for years and always bought test pints and painted them on scrap sheet rock or cardboard cause painting a small area doesn't give an accurate "read" of the way the color is actually going to feed off the light and surrounding colors

    ......for a bathroom though....a sample would give enough of a clue.

    have fun mischief and let us know what you decide
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.