+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Decorating for Dummies

Igotalife, how about some graffiti artwork for the skateboarding theme? You could also use half-pipe for something. What, I don't know! Maybe just as a chair rail?

Check out this site for more ideas: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/decorating/...633710,00.html

I also found this pic of skateboards being used as shelves like DesertRose mentioned.

Last edited by lildago; 03-11-2006 at 12:56 PM.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Aww, got to this too late for input. Was going to say, we have those kind of windows, facing east, in our bedroom, and it's not only little kids that get wakened by a sunbeam in the eye at 6am! I use fans in mine. You just measure the bottom of the window and divide by 2 to get the size of fan you want...and they come in ALL kinds of designs. One window has a fan that I think was originally meant to sit in a fireplace in the summer, the other one from China that matches a painting from China from a student that hangs near it. Just check that the fan opens a full 180 degrees, some don't. You can close the fans in the daytime if you want, although, since as grown ups we are rarely in ours in daylight, we usually don't bother. Also shields us from neighbors at night.
    But your solution seems perfect for your daughter.

Lildago, I just wanted to compliment you on the wonderfully creative curtain you came up with Igotanidea's help. I totally agree with your daughter, too...it certainly does look like something the bluebirds would come up with for Cinderella. It's such a perfect solution for a little girl's room.

There are so many truly creative ideas in here. As far as teenage boys are concerned, I've got nothin'. Teenage girls' rooms, yes, boys, nothin', but the skateboards as shelves is cool.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Lildago, I love it!

That is such a sweet looking little curtain.

My girls' rooms are a hodgepodge of whatever they are interested in, but my oldest has announced we are painting her room this spring/summer as she is tired of pink.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Desertrose and Lildago...thank you very much for the tips! I never thought of cutting the skateboards in half like that! The graffiti idea is also brilliant.

I'll run it by him and see what flies. I'll post back here and let you guys know what I end up doing.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Igotalife View Post
    Lildago! It looks great!!!! good job Mom! Great idea about making poofy bows from the tulle! Something about tulle/sparkly organza just makes little girls go into fantasy land. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Muduh, coincidentally, my son has a "hunting lodge" theme in his bedroom. He's almost 10 and he still loves it after almost 4 years. The burlap idea for a window is great and I like your idea of using the creels and fish to fasten them. For my son's window, I just used a large crooked stick I found in the woods for a rod and simply hung some fishing lures and a couple of wooden fish on the ends that I found at Hobby Lobby..(I'm a Hobby Lobby addict when it comes to buying decor pieces ) I also found some cute "fishing baskets" (again at Hobby Lobby ) and hung them on the wall in a vertical row. Behind his bed, I applied some large cedar paneling I found at Home Depot for $12 sheet (good solution to kids that dirty walls) and it makes it look so rustic.

My step-son-to-be is 15/almost 16 so I was about to begin decorating a room for him while he stays here. I was thinking of some funky retro type track lighting with blue glass shades to assemble behind the bed on the wall (I've seen these at Lowes and they make a swirly design which I thought looked cool), or maybe duplicating the IPOD shadow people on one wall or something?? Or.... he likes to skateboard/surf so I was thinking of maybe finding some inexpensive stuff to hang on the walls. Of course I will get his input, but was wondering if anyone had some great "teen room" ideas to add to the possibilities when I talk to him about it???? I don't want to make it too cutesy.

Great thread idea by the way Lildago!
    You Hobby Lobby addiction makes me smile. My son and his little boy now live alone, in a half furnished (or UNfurnished, however you want to look at it) house. He and I have haunted HL for weeks, looking for bargains. They decided they wanted to decorate their whole "bachelor pad" with hunting and fishing stuff. We have to check out the clearance junk at HL, and then make deals with the manager. Since we both consider ourselves semi-artistic, we think that things are looking really nice. I personally could probably do without the hornets nest suspended from the cross beam, but hey, it's not MY house.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    I did it!!! I used the panels I had. They're dark lavender with little shimmers of pink throughout. The top is beaded with pink "jewels" (as my daughter calls them) although it's a little hard to see. I bought some sparkly pink tulle and bunched it up at the hooks with a rubber band. It's hard to tell in the pic but the empty space at the top is filled in with tulle and I may add more to block out more light if necessary. My daughter loves it! She says it looks like the decorations the bluebirds used on Cinderella's dress. I think I'm on a roll now! She has a small window in her closet (see pic below) that I'm going to try to do the same thing on.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the great suggestions! Big, big thanks to Igotalife for the idea and little tips through PM!
    Beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL job, lildago! I had a Girly-Girl bedroom when I grew up: all gold, glittery and poofy and it's still one of my favourite rooms! Your daughter must be so inspired by her talented Mum!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Maybe it's the teacher in me. I decided to construct a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom tree in our gameroom. It's taken me 3 days to finish and I'm finally done! Some of you moms have probably read the story. For those of you who are not familiar with it, the letters of the alphabet climb a coconut tree. Now the little song is stuck in my head since I've been singing it as I worked! ♪...A told B, and B told C, "I'll meet you at the top of the coconut tree."♪

Getting lost will help you find yourself.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Maybe it's the teacher in me. I decided to construct a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom tree in our gameroom. It's taken me 3 days to finish and I'm finally done! Some of you moms have probably read the story. For those of you who are not familiar with it, the letters of the alphabet climb a coconut tree. Now the little song is stuck in my head since I've been singing it as I worked! ♪...A told B, and B told C, "I'll meet you at the top of the coconut tree."♪

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/lildago/chicka1.jpg
    WOW!!! I am so impressed with your talent lildago. That looks awesome! And I must confess, I don't know that I've ever read that book but if I was a young'un..seeing that room would make me wanna learn it!! Two thumbs up and a hand clap for you!!! (and all this during March Madness too....!!)
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

What a great idea. I love it. I'm not showing it to the kid because he is sure to want one.

+ Reply to Thread