+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Decorating for Dummies

If you really want to do it yourself cheap, get a roll of paper that they use on doctor's office examining tables. I bought a roll or two from a shop that sells medical equipment, like wristbands, canes, pillows. Make folds in it like a fan and use gabriel's suggestion of double sided tape. It's not totally see through but lets in a bit of light and is very inexpensive. I made horitzonal shades for my living rooms windows and snowflakes attached at the bottom. You wouldn't believe how many compliments I got on them. They worked for 8 years.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I think you got great advice Lildago, but I just had to pop in to see your daughter's room. It didn't disappoint.

giz
    They're called palladian windows, if that helps.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Lildago,
    Your little girl and my little girl are very close in age as I recall. This would be inexpensive, but made very "girly girl" too. Poofy tulle, simple fabric and beads or flowers.

A swag type of valance.

You can string flowers or beads to hang down the sides of a simple solid fabric (lavendar) and then use some tulle behind the solid fabric to add a highlight color, but would be puffed out a little behind the top to filter the light better.

Hobby Lobby will place tulle and certain other fabrics on sale from time to time and I know you can find the swag hooks at Home Depot or Lowes. Very inexpensive for a decorator look. And the best part, there's no sewing. Simply roll the fabric around the hooks and then fabric glue the ends of the fabric so it doesn't fray.
    Last edited by Igotalife; 08-03-2006 at 03:17 PM.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Put eyehooks at the top and sides of the window, get material to match the room decor long enough after putting throught the eyehooks to drape at least to the bottom of the window. Fold the material so the raw edges don't show (that way you won't have to sew) and voila (!) it looks special!
    Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by famita View Post
    Put eyehooks at the top and sides of the window, get material to match the room decor long enough after putting throught the eyehooks to drape at least to the bottom of the window. Fold the material so the raw edges don't show (that way you won't have to sew) and voila (!) it looks special!
    Good luck!!
    And right along with that.... if your window casings are metal, you could always attach a few small pieces of velcro. Making your own arched fabric is as simple as tracing and cutting and the pieces could be edged with heatbond tape instead of sewing (for those sewing machine challenged like me... can't tell you how many needles I've broken..heh) You can edge them with pretty decorative trim as well, and then just velcro them up. Easily removable.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

That top picture in Roseskid's post was what I had in mind. That would be super simple. If you wanted to buy ready made curtains, you could just measure the curve of the top, multiply it by 2 1/2 or 3, according to how full you want the curtain, to get the width of the curtain to buy. You hang it, then gather up the ends and put a rubber band or something in the center, at the bottom. All the excess curtain could be twisted into a chignon type thing and sewn, or pinned in place.

Wish I lived close to you. We'd get that sucker covered before sunrise. lol

Forgot to say that you could buy anything that is flexible enough to use for a rod. You should find something at Home Depot or Lowe's for that.

lildago, I think Muduh's idea is your best bet if you want full coverage for your window. If your daughter's room faces east, use dark or at least heavy fabric. Our bedroom window faces east and the morning light is absolutely brutal (we don't have daylight savings here so the sun comes up at 4:30 am in the summer ). We use blinds AND dark, heavy curtains.

The windows in new houses are impossible. I know, we have a new house (my windows are nowhere near as pretty as yours though ). I have these goofy long narrow windows in the front of my house, but I didn't use a window covering - instead, I hung ferns (I have two nice full ones) from the ceiling to cover the top, and used two indoor trees to fill the space from the bottom. It still lets light in and doesn't provide total coverage, but since they're living room windows, it doesn't matter.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJane, I've lived in this house for twenty five years without my living room and dining room windows being covered. I have valances and just curtains on the very ends. The windows are 8 feet wide. I figure if someone gets a charge from seeing me stroll to the kitchen in my pj's so be it. (and how terribly sad)

I love the looks of those Palladian windows but have always thought they wouldn't be a good choice for those of us who are too old and decrepit to climb ladders.

+ Reply to Thread