+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Going on a cruise

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I'll talk to my friend this week. I think a lot of this is guilt that I'm leaving my family home. They so want to go on a cruise and we have not done one yet. We have not done many family vacations due to lack of big money for them. Our choice, but.... my daughter is really having a hard time that I'm going on this. Husband is more accepting. I think a lot of this is guilt on my part and also feeling bad that I'm going and my friend's husband is not and this was his trip. Lot of emotion connected with this.
    I completely understand your guilt about your family. I have been on some really great trips (cruises, Hawaii, New York, etc) due to my boyfriend's job and have not been allowed to bring my son (due to restrictions from the company that pays for these trips!) and every trip I go on I always hear him saying about how he never gets to go anywhere and its not fair. Its hard to explain to him that these trips aren't costing me any money but I don't have the money to pay for me and my son to go on a trip by ourselves, especially trips like I've gotten to go on. It really pulls at you so I know exactly where you are coming from on that one!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Rosie, kids want to be with their moms. I think that's a large chunk of the "why can't I go, too?" questions. When they're older, especially, they'll be happy that their mom got to do something really special. We never had a lot of money growing up so we never did any big family vacations--all the spare money was saved for college for us kids. But once we were out of school and had jobs, that's when we traveled--and I never regreted not going to Disneyland as a kid like my friends did.

The kids will be fine. Your husband sounds like a sweetheart. You've got a great attitude about your eating/food and I think you're going to come back relaxed and with great stories to tell your FORT buddies.

Bon Voyage!!!!!

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Dang, I wish I had friends like yours....you may never get another opportunity to do something like this and all your issues will still be there no matter if you go or not, so I say GO and enjoy yourself. If it means a lot to your friend, then do it. Carpe diem!

As far as excursions:

San Francisco-one of the best metropolitan cities for mass transit to get you around the entire city at key points of interest for less than $6-7 on BART for a day.

Victoria-a walking tour of the water/Chinatown and downtown area are beautiful by itself. Find a nice sidewalk cafe on the water, sip the tea and enjoy the views of the Parliament house and historical features.

Vancouver-Grouse Mountain, ferry across the water, Horseshoe Bay tour...be a pirate, pretend you are a guest and check your bags in at a larger hotel with the concierge for the day.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Rosie, kids want to be with their moms. I think that's a large chunk of the "why can't I go, too?" questions. When they're older, especially, they'll be happy that their mom got to do something really special. We never had a lot of money growing up so we never did any big family vacations--all the spare money was saved for college for us kids. But once we were out of school and had jobs, that's when we traveled--and I never regreted not going to Disneyland as a kid like my friends did.

The kids will be fine. Your husband sounds like a sweetheart. You've got a great attitude about your eating/food and I think you're going to come back relaxed and with great stories to tell your FORT buddies.

Bon Voyage!!!!!
    My daughter's not exactly a small kid. She's 15. We've gone to Disneyworld a few times because we live in florida, same for Busch Gardens and Sea World, but we've never taken a regular family vacation except a week at the beach every few years. She feels like she is never going to see anything.

And she knows that I traveled a LOT with my parents. We did a big vacation every year. We went to DC, Williamsburg, NC, Texax, Colorado and we did Greece, Isreal, Egypt, Italy and India. But we don't have the money my parents did, so we can't take trips like that.

I know she feels left out, but we don't have the money. The cruise my friend is taking me on is $2000 a person. That would be $6000 to take my family on, plus spending money/expenses. We can't afford that.

I am very fortunate to have such a good friend, but my good fortune comes at a price. This was supposed to be her husband going with her for his 40th birthday. I guess that's another hurdel I need to overcome and I worry its goign to be hard on her once we get there and then are stuck for 7 days if she is miserable. Because its over our birthdays (his birthday was the day before mine).
    He wanted me to go in his place and I know it was incredibly generous of him to give this to me knowing he was not going to make it.

OK, you all have convinced me and I'm trying to get excited about it. I do want to go, but I guess having so many conflicing emotions and knowing I will be across the country from my family. The crux is: I HATE to be away from my family. I really do.
    But I'm going to go and try really hard to enjoy it.
    Claudia
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I haven't had time to read everyone's posts since I've been unable to access for a few days but wanted to come in and say that my tickets for my Bahama cruise in May arrived today!

Congratulations, Archie! You must be doing the document dance right about now... May I ask what line you're taking?

The Snowflake family loves cruising. Looks like you received heaps of good advice already, but if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Personally, I think the excursions cruise lines offer are a HUGE RIP-OFF. Every port we've ever visited, we had much more of a blast wandering through cities on our own than when we've gone on one of those tours available through the ship. So my advice would be to explore ports of call on your own, go on an adventure, mingle with the locals--of course it helps to research those places before you go, so definitely check out the internet and maybe prepare yourself with maps (some cruise lines offer them for free, so check on that first).

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome View Post
    Archie I think I am in minority here but I definitely say go for the oceanview room.
    Yardgnome, I'm with you. When I first cruised with my family, we used to always take inside cabins. I didn't mind it then, but I guess at the time me it didn't matter to me since we were mostly out of our room engaged in a lot of shipboard activities for the whole week.

More recently, I have been cruising with my husband for the first time, and he being a lover of the ocean and anything nautical insisted on having the outside room, and you know what? We loved it! There's nothing like waking up to a different view every single day--especially when cruising for more than a week (they don't call it cabin fever for nothing). Also, this trip was more about us (anniversary/renewal of vows), so let's just say we enjoyed many more in-room activities this time around, and having a view was very nice.

Still, the saying is true: there is no such thing as a bad cabin on a cruise ship! Stick me in the broom closet, I still wanna go!

Bon voyage, enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 04-18-2006 at 04:07 AM.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

MRD
    OK, am excited now about this trip. My girlfriend and I got together and we talked. We also booked some excursions that sound fun and are not too expensive. We have a private tour of San Francisco that sounds DIVINE. We talked to the tour operator this morning. Much better than the one the ship offers and we will get to see a LOT of the city and get a LOT of the history. Chinatown, Sausalito, Goldengate Park, Height/Ashbury, nob hill, Ghiadelli square, etc.. We don't just say in the van, we get out and walk and look and shop and eat. He is arranging meals for us in great little "non-touristy, but good" restaurants too.

She and I had so much fun this morning booking this, that I can't wait to go now and she wants to do Mt. St. Helen's too. My girlfriend in WA says it still has snow on it right now.

I've managed to find some warmer clothes to wear by visiting another friend and borrowing stuff and getting a couple things off ebay. I have a good London Fog raincoat that almost fits that was my mom's. If I work really hard in the next month, I think it will fit.

Everything's coming together and I'm now over my guilt/anxiety crap and am looking forward to having FUN!

Oh and we are going to the San Diego Zoo too. We meet up with a friend in Victoria, BC and then in Vancover, we have to book to the airport off the ship, so won't see anything of that city. Oh well. I can come back I hope.

So I figure that my 3 excursions are affordable and I will have a little left over for souveniers.

Thanks all, you helped me tremendously. I was just feeling really anxious about it all.

MRD
    Leavin tomorrow for our cruise! Getting real excited. Trying to decide what to pack due to the weather in the Pac. NW. it's shorts and flip flops weather here. Not so there I guess.

I appreaciate all the advice and I am going with the idea of it being fun and not worrying about money or lack of. There will be plenty for me to do.

You guys behave while I am gone and I know I'll have lots of catching up to do when I get back. At least 2 of my shows have finaled and I got that out of the way before I left and just have the lost thread to catch up on when I get back and of course all the fun posts here in Gen. Discussion.

Archie, when is your cruise???

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Bon Voyage ROSIE! Have a blast. I'm glad to hear you're excited and in the right mindset for an awesome vacation.

Regarding clothes: I would stick to the layering suggested earlier--that way you can wear a sweater/windbreaker when it's cooler and when it gets hot, you can take it off and wrap it around your waist or throw it in your tote bag/purse. REI and sporting good stores sell really nice lightweight pants where you can wear them as pants or zip off the legs and wear them as shorts. It's convenient in dubious climates! I also bought a pair of pants REALLY cheap at H&M. They're khaki pants and they can roll up and there are two straps that you can button so they become knee length "shorts" when it's warmer out.

Can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get back. I wish I was going with you.

Big hugs!

Since this was brought back to page 1, I thought I'd come in and say I'm leaving Saturday for my cruise! We leave from Jax to Key West to Nassau and then back to Jax, on Carnival's Celebration.

I went ahead and booked the oceanview room so I hope I'm not disappointed. I haven't even booked any excursions because we don't know what we want to do and I really don't want a schedule yet.

Today I got my hair and nails done and tomorrow I'm getting a spray tan since I didn't make the time to go to the tanning bed, which I plan to do when I get back.

Have fun myrosiedog, I'm sure your friend will appreciate having you there with her since her husband was supposed to be going. You will have a great time I'm sure!

+ Reply to Thread