+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: I'm Almost Famous!

I'm Almost Famous!

I just wanted to share, I made the front page of my local newspaper today.

http://www.thehollandsentinel.net/

I haven't even clicked yet, but wanted to say WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!

FRONT PAGE!!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

gee John, make me work...Here is the rest of the story too

Great picture by the way

part of the article:

Professionally, Miller cares a great deal.

Miller is the man behind an expansive Web site, www.fansofrealitytv.com, devoted entirely to reality television shows.

Last Thursday the site garnered its biggest audience yet with 11,500 visitors and more than 130,000 page views. The Web site averages about 7,000 visitors a day with 85,000 page views.

The Web site is an outgrowth of Miller's own love of reality TV. He attributes the popularity of the reality shows to a desire to see how average people react in un-average situations.

"To see how you'd react under those circumstances," said Miller, a 32-year-old computer consultant. "It's not reality by any stretch of the imagination, but it is unscripted. There are some reactions you can't fake."
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Fogey
    John that is awesome! What a great article and I learned something about you personally, didn't know you were raised in Holland! I have been there and I loved it!
    Totally great article and picture! I think we should forward it to as many reality tv shows as possible and the talk circut!

Ok, fine!

Keeping it real
    Man turns passion for reality TV into Internet fan site

By JOHN CHARLES ROBBINS
    Staff writer

Glued to their televisions last week, millions held their breath wondering what the monumental decision would be.

When indecision ruled and nothing actually happened, it lead to an outcry and protests around the globe.

Think we're talking about international tensions over the prospect of the U.S. going to war against Iraq?

Get real.

We're talking about "Joe Millionaire's" big decision, whether he would choose evasive yet statuesque Zora, or the foot-fetish queen with the golden locks, Sarah.

Who would the $50 million man pick?

Personally, Olive Township resident John Miller could care less.

Professionally, Miller cares a great deal.

Miller is the man behind an expansive Web site, www.fansofrealitytv.com, devoted entirely to reality television shows.

Last Thursday the site garnered its biggest audience yet with 11,500 visitors and more than 130,000 page views. The Web site averages about 7,000 visitors a day with 85,000 page views.

The Web site is an outgrowth of Miller's own love of reality TV. He attributes the popularity of the reality shows to a desire to see how average people react in un-average situations.

"To see how you'd react under those circumstances," said Miller, a 32-year-old computer consultant. "It's not reality by any stretch of the imagination, but it is unscripted. There are some reactions you can't fake."

And while he loves reality TV, he's not a big fan of "Joe Millionaire" and other similar date/mate shows.

It seems network programmers have come to love it all sorts of reality, churning out hours of new shows. With new so-called reality TV shows cropping up like dandelions, it's no wonder Miller is busy.

For rabid fans of reality TV, this week is a watershed.

The dashing Evan Marriott, FOX's "Joe Millionaire" revealed Monday that he picked school teacher Zora, who said she didn't mind when Marriott admitted he wasn't wealthy. The show's premise, according to FOX, had a $19,000-a-year construction worker posing as a multimillionaire with a bushel of beauties vying for his mojo and, presumably, his money. At the end of Monday's episode, the couple was presented with a check for $1 million.

When last week's show hinted at a decision but turned out to be a rehash of past exploits, fans of the show went berserk and called for a boycott of this week's final episode.

Over at ABC the toothy beauty known as Trista, a.k.a "The Bachelorette," will be choosing her favorite man from the final two suitors on Wednesday's finale. CBS just launched "Survivor: The Amazon" last week with a women vs. men format toshake up the veteran show's ratings. Brand new shows are taking a bow including "Are You Hot?" and "I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here!"

And we can't forget the latest ratings steamroller, "American Idol," just into its second season.

"It's kind of a powerhouse week," Miller said.

Born and raised in Holland, Miller has been interested in computers and TV most of his life.

"I've always been a real TV fanatic. I'd rather be sitting in front of the TV than doing anything else -- which is unfortunate, I guess," said Miller, who taught himself computer programming

His Olive Township home is outfitted with three TVs, a Compaq computer with a Pentium 4 processor and a 19-inch color monitor, "that's the part that counts," he said.

His computer has a TV card so he's able receive television shows and watch them on his computer screen.

Miller said he usually has two shows going at once, and that his love of reality TV is shared by his wife, Jennifer.

Although he has other Web sites, the Fans of Reality TV or The FORT is the big one -- "the one that takes all my time," he said.

"I myself spend about six to eight hours a day on it, collecting news stories, writing articles, (organizing) recaps of all the shows," said Miller.

He couldn't do it alone and relies heavily on a volunteer force of about 20 fellow reality TV fans.

It is not a money maker, Miller said, and the site roughly breaks even each month. But he's not doing it to get rich.

Even Miller admits the reality TV craze is somewhat out of control.

"I think it's slightly out of hand," said Miller. "The networks are grasping for some not-so-good material. 'Are You Hot?' is a complete waste of time. 'I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here!' should never have seen the light of day," he said.

Firegirl, that's Holland, Michigan. Not the country.

FORT Fogey
    oh just a FYI I went and looked up the article myself didn't get the posted version! I did the work! whooo hooooo

OMG! Great job John! I'm so happy for you.

And it's a good picture of you and the site as well! I hope lots of people check it out because of the article.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Yay! John is famous now! Wa-hoo!

Excellent!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast