+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy or Girl

MRD

Boy or Girl

I need help. I got a baby announcement from my sisters son who I haven't seen in 4 or more years. Sister and I are NOT at all close and have not been speaking over something that is not here or there. But I do like my nephew even if I have not seen him in a while.

Well the announcement reads:

Brodie Repperd Roberson
    November 29, 2005
    7 pounds
    20 inches.

Yes, I've been sitting on this since I got it as my "Christmas Card" from my nephew. Finally decided I had to do something about it soon.

I finally call my brother to ask: is this a baby girl or boy, I really can't tell from the name and they didn't say in the card. He says: I don't know, I was confused too, you can't tell by names anymore. Then he says he HAS talked to our sister and still doesn't know what sex the baby is.

I did get a gender neutral card and sent a check, but had to be careful to phrase it so I didn't say he or she becaues I just don't know.

What do you all think? Is Brodie and girl or boy name or what?

My family is so close, gotta love that, huh? (insert sarcasm here).

Why the heck couldn't they put : It's a boy! or It's a girl on the announcement like everyone else?
    The announcement has 3 handprints. Assuming mom, dad's and baby's? And they are in red, green and white. No freaking clue there!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I would tend to think that Brodie was a boys name.......of course, that's JMO.....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I knew two Brodies in school that were boys. Nowadays, though, its hard to say. I swear, I'd just ask. Lie and say you know a "Brodie" of each gender, so you were just wanting to clarify.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I think it's a more predominantly boy name.

According to this website, it's a boy!
    http://www.babynamesworld.com/meaning_of_Brodie.html
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post

What do you all think? Is Brodie and girl or boy name or what?

The announcement has 3 handprints. Assuming mom, dad's and baby's? And they are in red, green and white. No freaking clue there!
    I'm guessing that Brodie is a boy's name. I called a friend of mine who's a principle, asked her if she had any "Brodie's" in her students and they had three of them per 2000 students. All were boys.

But more importantly, myrosiedog: Is Brodie an Italian baby??? The "red/green/white" color scheme was my first suspicion!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Brodie = boy
    Repperd = boy dogs name

Seriously, I'm with those who suggested just asking.

It does sound more like a boy's name, but I went to camp once with a girl whose name was Brodie. So you should just ask, to end all the confusion.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I'm guessing they are trying to be gender neutral in their child rearing, which is not a bad thing. What it does of course is point up how gendered the "real world" is, from pronouns to baby presents.
    Why do we care? Well, some people care because they really think you should treat boys and girls differently. But even if that isn't you we care because it's impossible to talk in English about the kid for more than 2 minutes w/o using a pronoun, and even the most non-sexist of us fear that the parents will be offended if we guess wrong ("obviously" it's a boy/girl). Luckily you haven't seen the baby yet so you don't have to worry about that. They must know it is usually a boy's name even if they gave it to a girl, so I don't see how they can be insulted if you assume it is a boy. So I'd guess that's the "safe" way to go. Of course if they are working hard to avoid the pink/blue thing they shouldn't be insulted no matter what you guess even if you've seen the child, but people aren't entirely logical.
    There is another possibility---babies with ambiguous genitals are actually pretty common, and they may not have decided what to do about it...choose, perhaps wrongly, for the child and have an operation, let things go and let the child decide later, or what, and they figure with an ambiguous name there'll be less explaining to collateral relatives later.
    ETA...or you could google the birth announcements of the baby's hometown newspaper---you know when the birth took place, and those often give the sex. Maybe you can even find out from the birth certificate... don't know if those are on line tho. Or you could just ask! )
    Last edited by PWS; 02-19-2006 at 03:52 PM.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    But more importantly, myrosiedog: Is Brodie an Italian baby??? The "red/green/white" color scheme was my first suspicion!
    That's also the color scheme of Christmas, since you said the announcement was also a Christmas card that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS
    There is another possibility---babies with ambiguous genitals are actually pretty common, and they may not have decided what to do about it...choose, perhaps wrongly, for the child and have an operation, let things go and let the child decide later, or what, and they figure with an ambiguous name there'll be less explaining to collateral relatives later.
    This is an excellent point. In addition, sometimes the actual genetic testing takes time and it's awhile before they even know for sure.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 02-19-2006 at 04:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast