+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Count your blessings

MRD

Count your blessings

Ok, after posting a couple really whiney posts in share your troubles thread, it occured to me, that instead of moaning about my troubles, I need to count my blessings.

I think this is different than the sharing your good news thread as this is just random thoughts about things we are blessed to have or know.

This is a place to just post something, big or small that you think is a blessing in your life.

I, of course, ( ) will go first.

I am blessed to have gotten valentines from 3 people that love me.

I am blessed that I woke up this morning

I am blessed that I have warm clothes to wear because its pretty darn cold outside today

I am blessed I have a computer and online friends.

I am blessed because I have a loving family (husband and daughter) and 2 very loving and cuddly doggies.

I am blessed that I don't have to see the rest of my not so loving family very often. Or would that be loving but extremely annoying extended family that I don't have to lay eyes upon often.

I am blessed to live in a free country and have the ability to complain about said country because I am free to do so and free to change it by exercising my voting ability (I got my absentee ballot in the mail today as I will be out of town for local elections next month so that reminded me of this, otherwise I don't really remember this is a blessing often enough and I should. God, did that make ANY sense? If it didn't, I do blame Nyquil)

I am blessed that I can answer a lot of the questions on Jeopardy, thank you Mrs. Maassen for making me read all that stuff in high school english class, it makes me appear really smart to my husband and daughter each night at 7:30 EST.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I am blessed that I have a good head on my shoulders and enough self worth to realize that I was settling for an 'okay' relationship and not a great one and had the guts to get out of it after a fairly long time.

I am blessed that got three fabulous e-valentines from a new friend that is quickly becoming one of my closest & dearest friends.

I am blessed that I have friends that I can turn to when I need a shoulder, but that I can also return the favour when they need it.

I am blessed that I have a loving & supportive family, and an ex that is still a nice guy.

I am blessed to have two furballs (cats) that warm my days with reasons to laugh, and keep my feet warm at night.

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

I am blessed to have my Mom & Dad
    I am blessed to have Mona & Joey in my life
    I am blessed with relatively good health
    I am blessed with a good job with good pay
    I am blessed to have ONE good friend
    I am blessed to be able to be GREEN here at the FORT
    I am blessed that there are people here (in no particular order, and not all inclusive)like Pomeraniac, missykitty, gutmutter, marleybone,lambikins, maveno,aw heck all of you. ET AL.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    I am blessed that there are people here (in no particular order, and not all inclusive)like Pomeraniac, missykitty, gutmutter, marleybone,lambikins, maveno,aw heck all of you. ET AL.
    Aww.. thanks gabriel.

I am also blessed to have made so many friends here, and so many blessings in my life that I couldn't even begin to count them. One thing I always do now when I'm out and see a funeral procession, is I say a prayer of thanks that everyone I know and love is alive on that day. That started one day when my kids were little and we were stuck in traffic because of a funeral. I told them they should be thankful that it wasn't one of their friends or family that had passed away. Every day like that is a blessing.

I am blessed to have a family that loves me unconditionaly.
    I am blessed with a healthy boy.
    I am blessed to have a loving husband.
    I am blessed with caring friends (and that includes my FORT friends).

This thread reminded me of an e-mail I got a while ago about how we in the Western world take a lot of things for granted. (It's kind of long and if you don't feel like reading it just move along. Plus I translated it from Danish so it might not be perfect English)

If we reduce the humanity to a village with 100 inhabitants and consider the proportions of the people on Earth, the population would be:

57 Asians
    21 Europeans
    14 Americans (North and South)
    8 Africans

52 would be women
    48 would be men

70 would be non-white
    30 would be white

70 non-Christians
    30 Christians

89 Heterosexual
    11 homosexuals

6 persons would own 59 % of the wealth; all of these people would come from USA
    80 persons would not have a sufficient place to live.
    70 would be illiterate.
    50 would be mal-nourished
    1 would die
    2 would be born
    1 would own a PC
    1 would have an academic degree

When you look at the world out of this perspective it becomes clear for everyone that the need for togetherness, understanding, tolerance and education is strong.

If you woke up today and were healthy, not sick, then you luckier than the 1 million people who won’t make it through the next week.

If you’ve never lived in war, never the loneliness of capture, never the agony of torture and starvation then you’re luckier than 500 million people in the world.

If you can go to church without being afraid of being threatened, arrested och killed then you’re luckier than 3 billion people of the world.

If you have food in your fridge, clothes on you body, a roof over your head and a bed to sleep in, than you’re richer than 75 % of the world’s population.

If you have a bank account, some money in your pocket or just some change in a small box, then you belong to a small group of 8% of the population.

If you’re reading this sentence then you are twice blessed because
    1) someone has thought of you
    2) You don’t belong to the group of 2 billion people that can’t read.
    Plus you own a PC.

Work like you don’t need money
    Loved like you’ve never been hurted
    Dance, like nobody’s watching
    Sing, like nobody listens
    Live, like paradise is on Earth!
    Have a nice day!!

MRD
    I am blessed to have my Mom & Dad
    I am blessed to have Mona & Joey in my life
    I am blessed with relatively good health
    I am blessed with a good job with good pay
    I am blessed to have ONE good friend
    I am blessed to be able to be GREEN here at the FORT

Gabriel, you are the first person I've ever "met" that used Et Al and KNEW what it meant!
    I use it all the time from an old job I used to have where we had to use it and people continually ask me: what the heck does "Eat Al" mean?

Idiots!

Thanks for knowing it tho. I feel blessed to know someone who has some of the same knowledge I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    One thing I always do now when I'm out and see a funeral procession, is I say a prayer of thanks that everyone I know and love is alive on that day. That started one day when my kids were little and we were stuck in traffic because of a funeral. I told them they should be thankful that it wasn't one of their friends or family that had passed away. Every day like that is a blessing.
    I do that too and I always say a prayer when I hear sirens that the people in trouble will be ok and that the people responding will be guided to help those in need and that my family if they are not with me are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Gabriel, you are the first person I've ever "met" that used Et Al and KNEW what it meant!
    I use it all the time from an old job I used to have where we had to use it and people continually ask me: what the heck does "Eat Al" mean?
    Idiots!
    Thanks for knowing it tho. I feel blessed to know someone who has some of the same knowledge I do.
    Eat Al????

5 entries found for ET AL.
    et al.
    abbr. Latin
    et alii (and others).

[Download Now or Buy the Book]
    Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Main Entry: et al.
    Function: abbreviation
    Etymology: Latin et alia
    and others

Source: Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

ET AL

adv 1: used as an abbreviation of `et alii' (masculine plural) or `et aliae' (feminine plural) or `et alia' (neutral plural) when referring to a number of people [syn: et al., and others] 2: used as an abbreviation of `et alibi' when referring to other occurrences in a text [syn: et al., and elsewhere]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

ET AL

. adv 1: used as an abbreviation of `et alii' (masculine plural) or `et aliae' (feminine plural) or `et alia' (neutral plural) when referring to a number of people [syn: et al, and others] 2: used as an abbreviation of `et alibi' when referring to other occurrences in a text [syn: et al, and elsewhere]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

ET AL

ET AL: in Acronym Finder

Source: Acronym Finder, © 1988-2004 Mountain Data Systems

What? I'm one a few that ever watched any legal shows or read a legal document??
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD
    Eat Al????

5 entries found for ET AL.
    et al.
    abbr. Latin
    et alii (and others).

What? I'm one a few that ever watched any legal shows or read a legal document??

Apparantly

ANd yes, we used it for real estate transactions to mean "and others"

Like Mary Jones, et all conveys her property located at_____ to
    Phil Smith, et al.

In fact my family are the only ones I do know that know what it means and use it. We were in the title insurance business for over 100 years and all my siblings worked there and routinely my brother and I will write to each other: Dear Sis, et al or Dear John, et al
    I never thought anything of it until a friend one day said that Eat Al comment.

But when I saw you use it and you aren't in my family, I thought: Thank God, someone that KNOWS!!!

I, too, am blessed to have my FORT friends. I don't know how I would have made it through this year without you. Thanks to all who put pink ribbons in their avatars to support me. Thanks to those who showed them how. THANKS to John for providing this wonderful site. Thanks to whoever turned me green. Thanks to everyone who has encouraged me, laughed with me, and given virtual hugs and prayers when needed. I am so blessed to have come out the other end of my cancer journey strong and able to swim and exercise. I am truly blessed.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast