+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feed a fever starve a cold or what?

MRD

Feed a fever starve a cold or what?

Oh man, I need help. Anyone have any great suggestions? My daughter has given me either the cold or the flu (how do you tell the difference?)
    And I had a flu shot.

My sinuses are going to explode out of my face they are so swollen and hurting, my head hurts, my chest is hurting, my entire body is aching and I can't freaking breathe. Oh and I have fever of 101.

I've tryed shower soothers and they open me up in the shower, but as soon as you get out, everything closes back off.

I'm the Nyquil queen, but can't sleep ALL the time.

I'm taking Trimune a product to help reduce the time you are supposedly sick and I am on Cipro for a UTI.

I just want to breathe and feel better. I haven't been sick in so long I've forgotten what its like. And I don't do sick well.

I guess its a good thing the Olympics are on because I am just sitting and staring at the tv without comprehending anything I see, kind of a zombie trance.

Surely someone out there has some great cold remedies they can share. Please?????
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Shazz turned me on to this stuff -- Emergen-C. It's these packets that look like koolaid, and you put them in a cup of water and drink them. Each one has about 1,000 milligrams of vitamin C, and when I feel a cold coming on I drink about three a day. It knocked a cold right out of me once, and (I think) shortened another one.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Premium Member
    Get a jar of Vicks and smear it all over your chest and neck. It really helps. Drink lots too. And do what Lucy says. (I mean the Emergen-C.. not your daughter Lucy )

I was sick for weeks and tried all sorts of OTC meds and even a round of antiobiotics from my doc. It pretty much had to run it's course. I know that's not exactly what you wanted to hear. Try the Sudacare vapor plug. You're supposed to plug it in the room where you sleep and it'll open those nasal passages so you can breathe. I used it a couple times during the day. It works much better than those shower ones. Have you seen a doctor? Mine gave me some cough syrup w/codeine. It made me loopy as hell but sure helped me sleep! Hope you feel better soon!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I keep telling all of you... and more BOOZE
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Premium Member
    I knew that was coming Gabriel. I remember when I was a kid my dad would give me a spoonful of sugar soaked in whiskey when I had a bad cold. Do that now and you would probably be arrested and thrown in jail.

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    Actually, I've heard this before. I have a friend from Bolivia who swears by taking shots (tequila, vodka, whatever), right before bed when she has a cold or the flu. The idea is that the alcohol makes you sleepy (a la Nyquil), and also makes you sweat out whatever is making you sick.

I have tried it- I don't know if it made me get over my cold any faster, but the alcohol certainly did improve my mood while I was sick!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    You sound like my dad. Whenever anyone in out family gets a cold, his universal remedy is whiskey.

I haven't had a cold in two years now (true!), and while I hate to sound like a goody-two shoes, I can't help but think that it's all that fresh air and exercise that does it. See, during the last two weeks I've walked a minimum of an hour a day, and ever since I took to that habit, I've been amazingly healthy. Not as much as a sneeze. My fiancé works at a kindergarten, which as everyone knows is a sure way to get all germs known to man. That has proven true to him - the poor guy is constantly coming down with a cold or a fever - but I NEVER get any of his germs, even though we've slept in the same bed every night for the last four years. I used to be sick all the time, and not just "I think I'm coming down with the down flu"-sick but sick as in kidney infections, pneumonia, mono, cronical urinary infections and any kind of high-maintenance but more or less benign illness you can come up with. Let's put it this way: it's a good thing I was born in the 20th century and not the 19th, or else I wouldn't have made it past the age of ten. Maybe my poor body became so fed up with being miserable all the time that it developed some freaky sort of resistance towards any kind of illness, but I still think that all those walks did the trick.

Mind you, this is a precaution rather than a cure (sorry for not being more helpful, myrosiedog), but I do think that you can't go wrong with regular exercise and plenty of fresh air if you want to avoid colds. Of course, it's just my personal experience, but it's worked wonders for me. In the meantime, make sure to drink loads of water, read great books, be comfortable and feel better!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    Get a jar of Vicks and smear it all over your chest and neck. It really helps. Drink lots too. And do what Lucy says. (I mean the Emergen-C.. not your daughter Lucy )
    I like the Vicks suggestion also. VICKS and BOOZE
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    Everytime I smell Vicks or someone mentions Vicks, I always think of my grandmother. I can remember her rubbing Vicks on my chest and even some right under my nose so I could breathe better. I love the smell of Vicks!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast