+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feed a fever starve a cold or what?

Ok. I'm just getting through my own cold. So, take 3 ColdFx 3/times day. Add in extra-strength Sudafed every 6 hours so you can breathe. Heat things up with a Magic Bag in the microwave for 4 min (with glass of water) and put that on top of your face (without the glass of water ). It looks funny, doesn't smell so great, but does magic. Then drink NeoCitran a couple times a day. Sleep Sleep and more Sleep.

And then, go with gabriel's advice!! You make me laugh when I really need to Mona's Daddy. Thanks for that!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Michele had a wicked Chest Cold and no money to buy anything, so I whipped up a garlic/ginger tea for her and in two days flat her congestion was broken up and she was on the road to recovery.

Just take a clove of garlic, minced, and grate an inch of ginger into a mug. Add as much honey as you like. Boil water, pour into mug, steep for 3 minutes and then drink it.

It's not as bad tasting as it sounds.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    Get a jar of Vicks and smear it all over your chest and neck. It really helps. Drink lots too. And do what Lucy says. (I mean the Emergen-C.. not your daughter Lucy )
    Thanks for clearing that up because my daughter would LOVE for me to do what she says.

Lildago, I got the vapor plug you mentioned today. Unfortuanately I can't take codiene as it makes me itchy and believe me, I don't need that on top of this other.

The Trimune is one of those products that is supposed to prevent or shorten the lifespan of colds, etc. So far, not working. Am taking vitamins and loaded up on Vitamin C when this started coming on. (I can thank my daughter for giving this to me).

My only consolation is it has not gotten in my chest. Yet. That is usually where it ends up and moves in to stay. My chest is hurting, but I am not phlemy there yet and I hope I'm not. Just tight like asthma in my chest

I am going to try the magic bag. I got in the shower last night and this morning and let the shower massage beat on my sinus with HOT water to try to loosen some of that up.

As for the booze. My grandma SWORE on lemon juice, honey and bourbon.
    I remember her making that for me. and I would BEG for it. You didn't care you were sick. Of course this is also the same woman that told me to rub whiskey on my baby's gums when she was teething and to drink beer while breastfeeding as it lets the milk down.

Our VERY cold (for Florida) weather hasn't been helping and dh made me some great soup and a grilled cheese sandwich tonight which was nice.

I just wish the damn fever would break, then I KNOW I'd feel better. But I'm of the opinion that if its under 102, let it burn as that burns the sickness out of you. Makes you feel miserable, but its the bodies defense against germs.

I was up and down all last night. That nyquil commercial about the _____ so you can rest medicine is bull. It worked the first night and then didn't work last night. I finally took a 2 mg. klonipin and 2 benedryl at 4 a.m. and slept until 9. Until 4, I was up every hour in misery.

I appreciate all your suggestions. The booze one sounds the best.
    I am drinking water, orange juice, cranberry juice and diet coke (because I'm sick and I deserve it. )

I've stayed in bed most of today and I have a stack of good books, so that is helping and I'm watching Olympics. But man, I have stuff to do, I can't be sick any longer.

Of course, my daughter was over it by this time. Me, I will have it for days if not weeks as the germs move in to stay. Kind of like that commercial on tv.

I am so not a good patient either. I know my family is over it as well.

Lambi, I am off to make that right now. Thanks
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Lambi, I am off to make that right now. Thanks
    It's also really good for 'cramps', I've been told, when I've whipped some up for the other girls in the apartment. And it's cheap to make, to boot! Good luck, Hon, we need you "lively & springy", HERE!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    I am going to go home at 4 and make soup and tea and curl up under my blankie with the dog and watch Dr Pill and then read till wife swap comes on and if I sneeze it will just hit the dog so I have an automatic kleenex. Ok, so maybe not that but I am looking forward to getting the heck out of here and digging my germ-x out to bring for tommorrow. Oh, and run a vaporizer full of vicks and put on my mumu size sweatshirt ans favorite pants and my frog slippers....and I think this is helping some.....(visualization therapy?)

I think my biggest problem is that it's cold in here. (My office) Will bring a space heater in tommorrow too. Stupid germ infested cold office. Ok, on the alcohol thing...Jafo swears by a shot of whiskey but my Grandma always gave me honey and butter in tea. like 1/2 butter and honey and 1/2 tea. Yuck but it did work. Maybe I will try that too. And nyquil later. After the heathens go to bed. Oh my god I am rambling...sorry. *sniff*

ETA: Oh, and did it HAVE to be shark week this week, too? I must've done something awful in a past life...
    (I think all you girls understand.) Today sucks. But hopefully if I combine all this advice and attack this cold it will go away and die.
    Last edited by JAFO'S PRINCESS; 02-13-2006 at 02:07 PM.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

JAFO: with all those liquids you're planning on ingesting, you might want to keep a bed pan or catheter...along with Kleenex Dog, of course!

I can't get rid of that stupid dog. She is like an attatchment. Especially now that I am sick. Every time I sneeze she licks me like she thinks I died or something.

I can send the dog to go pee for me.

MRD
    my two dogs have been the best since I have been sick. They have cuddled up and kept me warm and keep me company and listen to me complain about how bad I feel while my family pretends not to hear me when I ask them for something.

And Jafo? go get the sudafed plug Lildago told about. I had to unplug and rearrange all manner of extenstion cords and crap to get it plugged in next to the head of my bed (it was plugged in at the foot of the bed, did no good), but once I got it plugged in near my head, I had a beautiful night of uncongested rest.

since I have been up this morning, I am back to being congested, so that plug in thing really, really works!

Feel better and don't forget to wash the dog when you get better.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks and...eww. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12