+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Words to Live By

Words to Live By

I have an "Inspiration" wall next to my bed, which is cozied into an alcove just big enough for a Queen bedframe to nuzzle into.

Taped to it are all manner of quotes that I've come across on cards and magazine clippings, that help me when I begin to wobble inwardly and need extra strength.

What words of Wisdom do YOU live by? Did a parent, friend or child say something that changed your life? Or did you find a card that gives you strength when you needed it?

Words are so powerful. They can lift of destroy. I chose to support the ones that lift you to becoming a higher being.

Here's one that I keep taped up by my computer and read it whenever I get discouraged by the crappy people I sometimes encounter, and I wonder why THEY can be scoundles and I can't...well, I could but I know better.

"Life's easy to life
    for someone unscrupulous,
    cunning as a crow,
    corrupt, back-biting,
    forward, & brash.

But for someone who's constantly
    scrupulous, cautious,
    observant, sincere,
    pure in his livelihood,
    clean in his pursuits,
    it's hard."

~Dhammapada, 18, translated by Thanissareo Bhikkhu

I love the no-nonsense ending: "...it's hard."
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

While you are living under my roof, you'll live by my rules.

Daddy Duxxy 1987
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy View Post
    While you are living under my roof, you'll live by my rules.

Daddy Duxxy 1987
    I'm very familiar with THAT "quote", Duxxy! My parents must have read the same fortune cookie!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

"Hope for the best,
    expect the worst,
    and take what comes."
    It's always worked for me.
    I have another good one taped to my computer at work:
    "Have patience with all things but first with yourself.
    Never confuse your mistakes with your value as a human being.
    You're a perfectly valuable, creative, worthwhile person simply
    because you exist.
    No amount of triumphs or tribulations can ever change that.
    Unconditional self-acceptance is the core of a peacefulk mind."

Kinda long, but I read it while my insane clients are screaming at me over the phone.

My parents said a lot of wise things (and honestly a lot of dumb things ), so I'm sure I'll contribute more in this thread, but these two immediately came to mind.

Dad always said:
    "Don't get killed doing something stupid because I don't want to be embarrassed telling people how you died."

Believe it or not, the fear of my dad not being able to hold his head up at my funeral kept me from doing some pretty stupid things in my life.

Every time I had friends over for a sleepover, my mom would pull me aside before they got there and tell me:

"You should always trust your friends. But go hide your money."

Whether they intended a larger lesson about personal responsiblity or not, thats what I took from these two warnings. They remind me that things don't just "happen" to people. You have to be in charge of yourself and your own path through life. No matter how much trust you have in others, there's always the possibility they could betray you. You have to be able to "love like you've never been hurt" (as my beloved Mark Twain would say), but rely on your own sense of caution to guard the parts of you that are the most precious to you.

All of which reminds me of one more quote about personal responsibility, this one by Ella Wilcox Wheeler:

You are your own devil, you are your own God,
    You fashioned the paths that your footsteps have trod,
    And no one can save you from error or sin,
    Until you shall hark to the Spirit within.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Karma / what goes around comes around / as ye sew, so shall ye reap / etc.

This just reminds me that whatever I do will come back to me in some form or another. I guess it's just another branch of the personal responsibility tree.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Premium Member
    I work in a hospital, so the words I live by when I'm there are: If it's warm and wet, and it's not yours... put on some gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by crista galli View Post
    "Have patience with all things but first with yourself.
    Never confuse your mistakes with your value as a human being.
    You're a perfectly valuable, creative, worthwhile person simply
    because you exist.
    No amount of triumphs or tribulations can ever change that.
    Unconditional self-acceptance is the core of a peacefulk mind."
    I really like this one, crista galli. I'm hoping that you'll not mind my printing it out, as I started this thread looking for some encouraging words to aid me when I'm down. I appreciate that it said, "..but first with yourself". One of my many flaws is that I forget about 'myself' until I get so fed up with people that I want to choke them, but swallow the anger because I don't want to upset them. Learning about 'self' is a hard one for me; your quote will help me stay focused. Thanks for sharing.

Here's one from my bedroom wall. It's a stark black card, with silver stars scattered around it. Each word is centered on a star. (I intentionally placed .periods. between each word to separate them as they are displayed on the card....as single units.) I go to sleep, many many nights with this saying the last thing I see.

"When. it. is. dark. enough........................ .you. can. see. the. stars."
    Charles Beard

I've had too many dark nights where only the "stars" kept me on Earth. This saying is so important to me. ~sigh~

I have a page-a-day zen calendar that I cut out and tape around my workspace when they resonate. I really like this one by Friedrich Nietzsche - "In the end one only experiences oneself." It reminds me that my attitude is all I really have control over. I decide if I will have a happy life or not.
    Count your blessings!

A few of my favorites that have special meaning to me:

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its strength."

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness; nothing so gentle as real strength."

"True character is not revealed in how you begin a task, but rather in how you end it."

And my most favorite of all is the quote in my signature, which got me through the roughest days following my dad's unexpected death (which will have been three years ago next week), when simply putting one foot in front of the other seemed impossible:

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quite voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'"
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast