+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Words to Live By

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

for some reason this one always makes me laugh
    Gabriel, you actually made me laugh out loud, and on a day when I desperately needed a laugh! Thanks for sharing that!!!!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

You know, the only thing I can think of my mother saying is "You can sleep when you're dead." Meaning that I should stop being lazy and sleeping in, and get up and get stuff done. In a larger sense, I take it to mean that given the choice of going out and doing something fun, or lazing around the house, I should always go out and live life.

Another saying I got from the mother of a friend was, "You can want in one hand and (vulgar word for poop) in the other and see which fills up first." Meaning, sitting around wanting something won't get it, you've got to work for it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey View Post
    Gabriel, you actually made me laugh out loud, and on a day when I desperately needed a laugh! Thanks for sharing that!!!!
    you're welcome - I needed to make someone laugh
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

for some reason this one always makes me laugh

bwahahahaha that's a great one Gabriel!!

Unk....your quote reminded me of the song "My Last Name" by Dierks Bentley.

what a great sentiment!

This is a terrific thread.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    One of my mom's favorite sayings: "What tangled webs we weave, when we practice to deceive."

Fron grandma: "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." "Many hands make light work." "All that glitters is not gold."

My grandpa took this one a bit further "Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly be down to the bone."
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Jewelsy, your grandpa's quote reminds me of one of my favorite Churchill quotes:

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You too? I thought I was the only one!"
    - C. S. Lewis

I have a collection of quotes and inspirations, too. Mine are in a folder, on my bulletin board, etc. My cubicle at work has an old-fashioned green chalkboard in it, where I write whatever strikes my fancy. I change the sayings to reflect my mood or whatever I need to remind myself of.

I work for Head Start, a non-profit pre-school program that primarily serves low-income families and children with special needs. It is a comprehensive program that works with the entire family, not just the child.

My favorite quote and the one that never comes down from my board is:

For these are all our children . . . we will profit by or pay for whatever they become.
    -James Baldwin
    Author & Civil Rights activist

I like to observe human nature, so it's not so much words that I live by, but watching certain other people...and then doing the opposite of what I see them doing. I have a co-worker, for example, who I'm pretty convinced is semi-retarded or just lacks the sense that was given to a wombat.

But since you don't have the benefit of seeing her every day (like I do), allow me to point out Conan O'Brien's Commencement Address to the Harvard Class of 2000.

It's comic genius, for one thing. A few of my favorite passages:

I'd like to thank the Class Marshals for inviting me here today. The last time I was invited to Harvard it cost me $110,000, so you'll forgive me if I'm a bit suspicious. I'd like to announce up front that I have one goal this afternoon: to be half as funny as tomorrow's Commencement Speaker, Moral Philosopher and Economist, Amartya Sen. Must get more laughs than seminal wage/price theoretician. [...]

Take it from me, your education is yours to keep forever. Why, many of you have read the Merchant of Florence, and that will inspire you when you travel to the island of Spain. Your knowledge of that problem they had with those people in Russia, or that guy in South America-you know, that guy-will enrich you for the rest of your life. [...]

As you leave these gates and re-enter society, one thing is certain: Everyone out there is going to hate you. Never tell anyone in a roadside diner that you went to Harvard. In most situations the correct response to where did you to school is, "School? Why, I never had much in the way of book larnin' and such." [...]
    But the passage that resonated with me, the one that I passed on to a friend in email who has just lost her job and needed words of encouragement, were:

I left the cocoon of Harvard, I left the cocoon of Saturday Night Live, I left the cocoon of The Simpsons. And each time it was bruising and tumultuous. And yet, every failure was freeing, and today I'm as nostalgic for the bad as I am for the good.

So, that's what I wish for all of you: the bad as well as the good. Fall down, make a mess, break something occasionally. And remember that the story is never over.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    That's cool. Mine is - "At least I'm not on Jerry Springer." Every time I feel like I suck I think of that. I don't have a clue where it came from. If I'm super depressed I watch JS. Does the trick every time.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

MRD
    FRom the Book "The Hotel New Hampshire" by John Irving:

Keep passing the open windows.

(when times are tough and you are really down, keep passing the open windows and don't jump out)

the other one from teh same book and my family uses both of these constantly:

Sorrow Floats
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast