+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Words to Live By

Old Abe was smart, too. He got it from Proverbs 17:28

28 Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise:

and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

I actually got into a debate about who said that quote once, so I don't just know all this off the top of my head. Apparently all the people its attributed to (Mark Twain, Abe Lincoln, George Washington, etc) got it from somewhere else. They aren't even sure if any of them really said it. It's just an old proverb. I just googled and got this tidbit from Ask Yahoo!

A page titled Mark Twain and the Mutating Quote attributed at least four variations of the same phrase to the eminently quotable Twain, explaining that it was a case of "split personality" that accounted for the variations, rather than a rash of misquotes.

Other pages suggested a number of other authors for the saying, including: Abraham Lincoln, George Eliot, Groucho Marx, Albert Einstein, and a mysterious figure named Silvan Engel.

In an attempt to solve this proverbial puzzle, we paid a visit to Bartleby.com, home to the online version of Familiar Quotations. Unfortunately, after searching on a number of possible keywords and potential authors, we couldn't find a single reference to this quote.

All the confusion and disagreement surrounding both the author and the wording of this saying led us to suspect that it may be a simple maxim, not attributable to any single person -- which is not to question its wisdom.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

If you keep doing what you are doing you will keep getting what you've got.

You can never say anything that will keep me from loving you. -Mom and Dad on countless occasions. Still true.

Blame anything and everything on me to get yourself out of a tight spot with your peers. -Mom

Always do the right thing and if you have a question about what the right thing is, ask me.-Mom

Get high on Jesus not drugs. -Dad

Do not do anything that you would not be proud to tell your mother about. -Dad

If you can not do it with your Dad then it is sexual. -person talking about what consists of sex.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Quote Originally Posted by Feifer View Post
    If you keep doing what you are doing you will keep getting what you've got.

You can never say anything that will keep me from loving you. -Mom and Dad on countless occasions. Still true.

Blame anything and everything on me to get yourself out of a tight spot with your peers. -Mom
    We had the same mom. My mom (and dad) used to say both those things a LOT when I was a teenager.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I ran across this one time, printed it, and framed it for my son. It hangs in his house and will be passed on to his son. Sorry about the all caps but that's how I have it saved on my computer.
    (Family Name Here)

YOU GOT IT FROM YOUR FATHER, IT WAS ALL HE HAD TO GIVE

SO IT'S YOURS TO USE AND CHERISH, FOR AS LONG AS YOU MAY LIVE.

IF YOU LOSE THE WATCH HE GAVE YOU, IT CAN ALWAYS BE REPLACED,

BUT A BLACK MARK ON YOUR NAME, SON, CAN NEVER BE ERASED.

IT WAS CLEAN THE DAY YOU TOOK IT, AND A WORTHY NAME TO BEAR,

WHEN HE GOT IT FROM HIS FATHER THERE WAS NO DISHONOR THERE.

SO MAKE SURE YOU GUARD IT WISELY, AFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE,

YOU'LL BE GLAD THE NAME IS SPOTLESS, WHEN YOU GIVE IT TO YOUR SON!

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey View Post
    My mom always said, "It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt!"
    That's pretty much the motto I live my life by.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

MRD
    We make a living by what we get, but we make a life, by what we give.

Winston Churchill

My father was a great "giver" and he showed me by example how personally rewarding it is to give of yourself (and not seek the spotlight for it either).

Giving when no one knows you're giving, is the best giving of all-myrosiedog 2006

Oh and also, my signature line. I totally believe in that and live by that too. Thanks Mick
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

The sun don't shine on the dog's rear end all the time

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains leak out
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    I work in a hospital, so the words I live by when I'm there are: If it's warm and wet, and it's not yours... put on some gloves.

A rule of thumb we use at work..."Blame the guy who isn't there, he can't fight back"

I'm just speechless over some of the sage sayings posted here; some have even brought tears to my eyes. Thanks to ALL who have taken time to post words that bring strength, compassion, pride, passion, and peace to those that read them. ~Lambi~
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzz View Post
    Words to live by, from the military: "If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying. And if you get caught, you weren't trying hard enough." I think that was supposed to teach us to look for more efficient ways of doing things. Usually taken out of context by many, I am sure.
    I've heard my husband say this for almost 20 years and always wondered where it came from. Now I know. He was in the Army.

His other favorite: Better to ask forgiveness later than to ask for permission first.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast