+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Words to Live By

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    My parents said a lot of wise things (and honestly a lot of dumb things ), so I'm sure I'll contribute more in this thread, but these two immediately came to mind.
    Stargazer: You gotta love those Home-Spun Wisdoms, don't you! And my, how they stick!!!

Two that my Gran told me and to this day, I follow:

1) "Never steal anything small. If you are going to steal, make sure it is SO huge, that you never have to steal again."

2) "If you are in a stranger's home and you see a penny on the floor, add another one to keep it company."

Although they may seem like odd choices of advice, I immediately grasped what she was saying to me. In the first, one, what I understood it to mean, is 'Don't get messed up with something small because it will ruin your reputation. And if you're so conceited to think of stealing, make sure you do a SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION theft, so you're set for life." So far, all Prison Wardens have escaped the wrath of Lambikins.

With #2, I'm guessing that because she was viewed as an immigrant (half Finnish/half Native American) she and her family were viewed as the "Usual Suspects" if a theft occurred. So, rather than pick up the penny and pocket it, only to be accused of 'theft', add a penny, thereby dispelling any possibility of being labled a thief.

(you have NO idea how many pennies I've gone through in my life!)
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I've always loved ~Some things are true whether you believe them or not~
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Treat others how you would like to be treated.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Work smarter not harder.

Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today.

Measure twice, cut once.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    My mom always said

"there's a reason you have 2 ears and 1 mouth"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    My Dad is fond of "Green side up." I've grown to appreciate that one more and more as I put more years in working with idiots.

I'm fond of "Only the impossible can do the impossible."

"It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black"

"If you want to get to the top, prepare to kiss a lot of the bottom."

"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do."

"No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood."

"It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

Live by faith, not by fear. (Thanks Dad)
    Never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow. (Thanks Grandma.)
    When your face feels numb - stop drinking. (Thanks Gwyn)
    Never let the sunset on an angry heart.

Premium Member
    Words to live by, from the military: "If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying. And if you get caught, you weren't trying hard enough." I think that was supposed to teach us to look for more efficient ways of doing things. Usually taken out of context by many, I am sure.

Words to live by, from my dad: "If something's worth doing, it's worth doing right." or "Leave things better than how you found them." I think now that was his nice way of telling me I couldn't do anything right and he always had to fix things for me, heh. (My dad not one to be known for subtleties or attending sensitivity training.)

Words to live by, from Morrissey: "Life's hard enough when you belong here." or "Rejection is one thing, but rejection from a fool is cruel." Of course, I feel that any thing Morrissey says is worth quoting.

My mom always said, "It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt!"
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Your mom got that from Abraham Lincoln ... smart woman
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast